PDA

View Full Version : NHL Goal verse Triple Crown

Green Ranger
06-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Alright, till high school football gets going here is something I would like to hear some opinions on. I am not sure how many of you saw Game 6 with the Flames get beat by the Lighting in overtime to force a game 7. During the third period, I think, the Flames put the puck into the Lighting's net as the whole puck did infact seem to cross the line. The puck did go off a Flames skate however there was no kicking motion as the rule is stated in the NHL. However something that I have not heard mentioned as of yet is the fact the puck was hit by the skate in the Goal Tender crease, the blue area in front of th net which offensive players cannot enter. I do not see the problem, the goal was looked at and play went on, done over with. Another topic I found a bit out, the jockey and owner of the horse who beat Smarty Jones apologized as it would have been better for the business if Smarty would have won, what is up with that. The horse lost, if you lost money you shouldn't have bet money on the race. Would just like to hear peoples opinion on one or both of these topics. Congrats to all that were at state laying softball especially Monahans! Best of luck in Baseball still going.

Old Tiger
06-07-2004, 07:13 PM
I think the goal should of counted also...

As for Smarty Jones, the owners and trainers can apologize all they want to, but the Jockey is the one who rode the race. If your a jockey your not racing for 2cd place. You're racing for the victory and the 10% of the horses winnings jockey's get. So the apology of the owner/trainer doesn't mean nothing.

WOSgrad
06-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Actually, ABC did a simulation using all of the camera angles and while part of the puck went in, the computer sim showed that the puck did not completely cross the goal line...so no goal.

I thought the puck was in without a doubt, as did Clement and Davidson, until I saw the sim. I guess it was an opical illusion created by the camera angle.

La Grange
06-07-2004, 09:14 PM
It was not the jockey's fault, Smarty Jones lost the race for Smarty Jones not the jockey. On the back turn the horse would never get into his relaxed mode of running, he was all ways tight in his hocks and flank. This was nobodies fault but Smarty's, the horse probably got all worked up in all the people and he just couldn't get into his mode. In the other two races you can notice his long loose stride that is why he won, and that is why he lost.

Old Tiger
06-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Also I think the race was just to long for the horse.

La Grange
06-07-2004, 09:21 PM
No it really wasn't, Smarty should of easily won the race. If this was the seventies and the track was still the old race track, that horse would of won by 8 links due to him being pumped full of all kinds of juices.

The owner/trainer of High Easter Jet once dropped 6 horse on the ground trying to find the exact amount of juice he could put in a horse.

Old Tiger
06-07-2004, 09:24 PM
i think the 3 weeks off rather than 2 is a killer...

Green Ranger
06-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Lighting Win! Penalty called late as a stick came up on St Louis, just so happened called by the ref whom was not allowed back in Calgary by the NHL as they did not want him up there. Curious to see if he is allowed up there next year. I am happy for Dave who had never won a championship in al his years playing.

GUNHO
06-08-2004, 10:21 AM
1. Hockey. Who cares.:p

2. Smarty.I think they were right on about it being good for the sport.They were not expecting to win,but they weren't going to give it to him either.I thought Smarty was the most deserving of the latest bidders for the tripple crown and I think everyone else thought so to.Hence the comment.He just failed to get it done.

turbostud
06-10-2004, 09:48 PM
One thing that I have not heard mentioned here or on radio and TV is the fact that Birdstone, who finished 8th in the Kentucky Derby, did not compete in the Preakness thus giving him 5 weeks to train at the 1 1/2 mile Belmont. It just doesnt seem right to me that a horse can skip a race. If its called the triple crown then all horses should compete in all the races. The same thing happened last year when Empire Maker pulled the upset. I bet VISA isnt complaining though.:D