PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater vs. Vernon

mustang04
11-23-2003, 01:58 AM
well....we were angry when we didnt get to play our first game of the year against the Lions, but its crazy how things work out, i think we'll do good if we work hard in practice, we just didnt seem mentall prepared against perryton, but i think it will be a good game....what are some of yall's take on the game?

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-23-2003, 02:02 AM
This should be a great game. I don't know why they are going to play it in Lubbock though. Must be scheduling conflicts. I would have liked to have flipped home for home and played either in Abilene at Shotwell or Wichita Falls.

What kind of turf does this stadium have and where is it and who uses it?

mustang04
11-23-2003, 02:07 AM
their turf is pretty much like ours in our bowl

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-23-2003, 02:10 AM
I would not have minded going back to the bowl. That is an awesome stadium. They best I have been to for a 3A school.

mustang04
11-23-2003, 02:44 PM
yeah...im pretty proud of our Bowl :D

Da Mules
11-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Lowrey Field has good FieldTurf, good facilities, good parking, and best of all, it's only 68 miles from Muleshoe. :D My better half graduated from Vernon. I'll be there for this game. p.s. who's the home team?

mustang04
11-23-2003, 04:03 PM
still unsure

heck
11-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Home Team: Sweetwater

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Heck:

Your last weeks Vernon's prediction:

"Vernon/Decatur: I hope this is a good game. I saw Vernon beat Brady Sat. and wasn't too impressed with Vernon's speed, at least on the offensive side of the ball. Vernon easily dominated the line of scrimmage and I expect that could lead to some long time-consuming drives. I hear (on this board) about Vernon's secondary but if you don't rush the QB it won't matter. I give this one to Decatur based on the lack of defensive pressure. Decatur by 8 Vernon's secondary played a "heck" of a game against Decatur. 4 picks all with good return yardage. Anyway, thought I would heckle you just a bit on your prediction.

Stangster
11-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
Heck:

Your last weeks Vernon's prediction:

"Vernon/Decatur: I hope this is a good game. I saw Vernon beat Brady Sat. and wasn't too impressed with Vernon's speed, at least on the offensive side of the ball. Vernon easily dominated the line of scrimmage and I expect that could lead to some long time-consuming drives. I hear (on this board) about Vernon's secondary but if you don't rush the QB it won't matter. I give this one to Decatur based on the lack of defensive pressure. Decatur by 8 Vernon's secondary played a "heck" of a game against Decatur. 4 picks all with good return yardage. Anyway, thought I would heckle you just a bit on your prediction.Some of us gave Vernon the proper amount of credit. Great game! Ought to be a good one this week. Go Mustangs!

wildstangs
11-24-2003, 10:32 PM
What are some of the facts on this game? I know there is only one common opponent. Graham. Sweetwater dominated them in the second game of the year. Vernon struggled against them, and lost a close game I think? Someone should know.

fury900
11-25-2003, 01:06 AM
VERNON
FOOTBALL

Record: 10 Wins & 1 Loss
District Record: 4 Wins & 1 Loss

DATE OPPONET LOCATION TIME WIN/LOSS SCORE
Aug 29 Sweetwater Here 7:30 no game
Sept 5 Altus There 7:30 W 11-8
Sept 12 Wichita Falls There 7:30 W 1-0 (forfeit)
Sept 19 Hirschi Here 7:30 W 26-0
Sept 26 Burkburnett
Homecoming Here 7:30 W 41-26
Oct 3 OPEN
Oct 10 *Bowie There 7:30 W 35-7
Oct 17 *Breckenridge There 7:30 W 32-19
Oct 24 *Graham Here 7:30 L 28-6
Oct 31 *Iowa Park There 7:30 W 34-33
Nov 7 *Childress Here 7:30 W 33-12
Nov 15 Brady
Bi-District Sweetwater 1:00 W 34-6
Nov 22 Decatur
(Area) Wichita Falls 7:30 W 27-21
Nov 29 Sweetwater
(Regional) Lubbock 2:00

<small>[ November 25, 2003, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: fury900 ]</small>

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-25-2003, 07:02 AM
Graham's defense limited Vernon's rushing game. Vernon just could not get anything going against Graham. I think Vernon should have passed the ball more and if they were to play it again that is what would happen. But nevertheless, Graham'd d-line played well and came off blocks to make tackles.

It was 7-6 at half, then Graham's O had two critical drives in the second half that went the distance of the field and they scored on both of them. The other two scores were -- one a 50 something yard gun on a Vernon misalignment and then one missed tackle. The other was at the end of the game with about 2 min left. I can't remember if Vernon went for it on 4th and didn't get it and then gave Graham a short field or something like that.

For what ever reason, Vernon just didn't match up well against Graham. They haven't in the past several years. That has been the only game where a defense really shut Vernon down.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-25-2003, 07:52 AM
Stangster-- you did call it! I was glad for a win because I really wanted to see a Sweetwater / Vernon game. Kind of a destiny thing.

For Sweetwater a win Saturday would say hey we would have won the first time, we didn't even get a chance to go on offense and a fumble led to the Vernon score. For Vernon a win would say hey we are a good football team that has arrived and that TD was not some fluke of the weather that night.

Vernon really hasn't got any due this year. Just about the time people started noticing that we have a good football team, we go out and get beat by Graham.

The difference in this year's team and the team of 2 years ago is that the players all play a role in the game. There is not one player that is a star if you will. That wasn't the case two years ago with Bernard Scott. Several players out for themselves. Well a new coach and a new philosophy. You will notice no paws or skull and crossbones on the Vernon players helments. No stars, everyone wears the exact same uniform. It hasn't been that way in the past.

I'm really glad to see this match up. I have supported the Mustangs this year too. I have rooted for them because I think they have a classy football team. Mustang04 has made very good postings all year. Not like the trash talking postings that we sometimes see from players. Plus Vernon had a close game with Sweetwater last year to open the season. 27-21 I believe.

heck
11-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Z-Motion:
Yep, you guys played a great game. I listened to most of it. I couldn't tell how my guess turned out regarding ya'lls pass rush. Did you guys put a lot of pressure on the QB? I heard all about the wind etc., but you guys just whipped 'em. So, I missed the score but more importantly missed the outcome.
BTW, where is your back that scored the td on us in the first game of the year? Is he still on the team?

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-25-2003, 10:06 AM
Heck:

His name is Wesley and he is #10. He injured his ankle in the 2nd game and has never cracked the starting line up since. They use him as a change of pace back, but he has the most quickness of all the backs save #5. #5 is quick too. But, the coaches like to pound yards with #3 and #33 so #10 only gets a few carries a game. I always get excited when he gets the ball because he is shifty and quick through the hole. But he does dance around a lot and when you play a quick team then that dancing doesn't do anything but get you tackled where you dance!

What about ya'lls QB? Will he be ok to play this week? I know IP had one of their star players #13 get a concusion and he sat out 1 game.

Hey also, I went to watch a Southwestern Ok State Univ game this year and saw Carrillo on the sidelines. He was carrying a clipboard and staying by the coach. Looks like they are grooming him right on up there.

hound22
11-25-2003, 10:07 AM
I am going with Sweetwaterin this one. Have not seen Vernon much but being a snyder fan i have seen enough of sweetwater to know they are pretty tough. Regardless of what happens congrats to the mustangs. Winning a playoff game with a third string quarterback is quite impressive. I know he is a great athlete but that says alot about the mustangs.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-25-2003, 10:08 AM
Their QB did scramble a little bit. I think they sacked him twice or three times. But their blocking was pretty decent. I bet that is the most pressure he had all season though.

heck
11-25-2003, 10:16 AM
Z:
Not sure yet about our qb's. First real practice of the week is today. I talked with the qb that got his bell rung and he seemed fine to me, but I'm not a doc. Everybody (team, fans and coaches) really have a lot of confidence in both of the Qb's. I just hate the injury rash we have had this year, especially with the QB's.
Newsflash, the Carillo you saw in Ok. is going to transfer to Texas Tech next semester and attempt to play for the Raiders!

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Do you know if Carrillo was unhappy at SWOSU? The reason I'm asking is they scheduled a recruiting visit for my son in January. If Carrillo doesn't like it there I would be interested in knowing why or if something happened, or if he is just wanting to play for a bigger school.

heck
11-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Z: I can't say for sure but I suspect that SWOSU was not what he thought it would be. Towns like Swater and Vernon put a lot into their football programs and at least here in Sweetwater, we have a lot of really good football coaches (they good individuals too). Up there, I imagine the football program not being as big of a deal as it was in High School. By that, I mean their budget is probably pretty tight and I don't thik they have as big of a staff as Vernon or Swater. Just my thinking. Plus, Tech has always had a few smallish players that can really play. Welker, T. Thurman, etc., and Mychal is cut along those lines. He could play in Leach's scheme plus return punts and kickoffs too. Like I said, its just my take.

vet93
11-25-2003, 11:51 AM
Heck...what you said is so true...many times when kids go off to play at a school that is DII or lower it is actually a come-down in terms of community support, excitment, coaching and tradition. It is hard to get any better than Texas High School Football...except maybe for the Big 12!!

heck:
Z: I can't say for sure but I suspect that SWOSU was not what he thought it would be. Towns like Swater and Vernon put a lot into their football programs and at least here in Sweetwater, we have a lot of really good football coaches (they good individuals too). Up there, I imagine the football program not being as big of a deal as it was in High School. By that, I mean their budget is probably pretty tight and I don't thik they have as big of a staff as Vernon or Swater. Just my thinking. Plus, Tech has always had a few smallish players that can really play. Welker, T. Thurman, etc., and Mychal is cut along those lines. He could play in Leach's scheme plus return punts and kickoffs too. Like I said, its just my take.

heck
11-25-2003, 12:05 PM
Vet and Z: I have never been to Weatherford Ok, but I don' think its much bigger than Sweetwater or Vernon. I just know that I wouldn't have wanted to spend my college days in a small town at a small college (albeit some peopledo). I really enjoyed college and made life long friends. Now if I would have had a free-ride to DII college I might have felt different but looking back, I feel I would have missed a lot.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Yes, that town is pretty small. That is why my wife and I liked the possibilities of it. Hopeing our "little boy" would stay out of trouble and have a good time playing ball.

Who knows? I was impressed with the coaches and their facilities when we visited them earlier in the year.

heck
11-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Z: Best wishes and good luck on SWOSU. Lots of people must like it there and I'm sure you boy is good enough to earn a 'ship. Have heard lots about him and watched him play too!

TRU-FAN
11-25-2003, 12:48 PM
heck:
Z: I can't say for sure but I suspect that SWOSU was not what he thought it would be. Towns like Swater and Vernon put a lot into their football programs and at least here in Sweetwater, we have a lot of really good football coaches (they good individuals too). Up there, I imagine the football program not being as big of a deal as it was in High School. By that, I mean their budget is probably pretty tight and I don't thik they have as big of a staff as Vernon or Swater. Just my thinking. Plus, Tech has always had a few smallish players that can really play. Welker, T. Thurman, etc., and Mychal is cut along those lines. He could play in Leach's scheme plus return punts and kickoffs too. Like I said, its just my take.HECK: this is true the football program was alot different than Mychal was expecting. And yes, the staff is quite a bit smaller than Swaters and the program itself is very different. Plus its not in TEXAS. He is looking at Tech but nothing has been decided on. Z: you or your son might want to look up Mychal or Jack Squires about the program before decisions are made. Im sure they could give some insight. Everyone is diff & your son might really like it there. Just wanted to share a lil more info and good luck with your son.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-25-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info. I sure appreciate how everyone helps each other on this board.

Thanks.