PDA

View Full Version : Will the La Grange offense run on Sealy?

Pudlugger
09-11-2003, 04:56 AM
The Leps have been mixing up the plays a lot recently with Anderle's strong arm and several good receivers to choose from. Last year Sealy stacked the box down on the D line and pretty much ignored the passing threat. If they try that Friday night they will get burnt big time. The Leps will definately move the chains on the ground behind a big O line that has really improved in the past two weeks. I expect to see Anderle and Wilson both go over 100 yrds rushing Friday night. :cool:

fullhouse
09-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Looks like we may get wet! This is going to be ONE GOOD GAME to watch. Go Tigers!

Tiger Turtle
09-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Sealy's run defense has been real stout through the first two games, but it seems to me the defensive backfield has been sort of weak. Needville had less than 50 yards rushing, but put up 154 through the air, mostly on 3rd and 4th downs. Watching the films, I counted at least 8 drops that could have been additional completions. Michael Andrews picked off a Blue Jay aerial in the 4th period and returned it 38 yards for a score. He also had a couple of good plays late in the game, but overall it looks like a problem to me. I'm sure Coach V and his staff have picked up on that. Sealy's D always seems to give the Leps trouble. Bring your umbrella, Pud.

Pudlugger
09-12-2003, 01:59 PM
40 % chance of rain tonight. This should not hurt La Grange. In fact a wet field might slow down that speedster Andrus enough so the Leps little linebackers can swarm all over him like Bees on honey.

My analysis of this game: Sealy will come out running with draw plays, counter plays and some short pass plays particularly the screen pass. They will try to burn the LG defenders by making them over-pursue and using misdirection. Classic Sealy offense. It will be up to the MLBs to stay at home and close up the middle to prevent Andrus from making big yardage on the draw and counter plays.

LG will bring a balanced attack by opening up the run with some deep passes and a few short pumps over the middle. They will run behind their big OT and TEs and Anderle will pitch it out wide to Wilson on 2nd and short yardage situations. Look for Anderle to break at least one big TD run tonight, he is overdue and they took one away last week in Gonzales. La Grange is doing a much better job of protecting the football with only one turnover last week (a bad snap). The Leps should be ready for Sealy with a great week of practice and the confidence gained from the tremendous come from behind victory in Gonzales.

La Grange 20
Sealy 6

punt
09-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Score depends on if Andrus plays. If he isn't allowed to play Sealy may not score. Sloppy field should make for a low scoring game.

LG 28
Sealy w/o Andrus 0
with Andrus 7

Tiger Turtle
09-12-2003, 11:17 PM
Final Score: Sealy 24 - LaGrange 20
LG did indeed run on Sealy (especially Anderle) but Sealy ran more on LG, eating up 6+ minutes on three drives. Two failed conversion attempts by the Leps turned out to be the difference, as each team had 3 tds, one by each defense.

Pudlugger
09-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Tiger Turtle:
Final Score: Sealy 24 - LaGrange 20
LG did indeed run on Sealy (especially Anderle) but Sealy ran more on LG, eating up 6+ minutes on three drives. Two failed conversion attempts by the Leps turned out to be the difference, as each team had 3 tds, one by each defense.I'm surprised LG didn't go to the two big TE's more over the middle. Sealy had the box stacked on every snap. If Anderle dumps the ball to #20 or #88 the Leps would have moved the chains way downfield and then the MLBs must play honest.

Sealy was just so well coached I must say they impressed me immensely. I think the Tigers have to be taken very seriously in D23 this year. Good luck the rest of the way. :)

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-13-2003, 12:23 AM
What's up with La Grange, not playing a JV game last night? word is some of the Varsity players had to set this one out becaues of dicipline reasons, any truth to that? If so, Sealy beat the La Grange JV. team. Can anyone from La Grange clear this one up? Did Sealy's stud runningback, that was arrested last week play?

lepfan
09-13-2003, 12:34 AM
FormerBellvilleBrahma:
What's up with La Grange, not playing a JV game last night? word is some of the Varsity players had to set this one out becaues of dicipline reasons, any truth to that? If so, Sealy beat the La Grange JV. team. Can anyone from La Grange clear this one up? Did Sealy's stud runningback, that was arrested last week play?Yes, #30 played for Sealy. No Sealy did not play LG's JV. Several JV players moved up to V. No, several players did not sit out for discipline reasons.

Pudlugger
09-13-2003, 12:41 AM
FormerBellvilleBrahma:
What's up with La Grange, not playing a JV game last night? word is some of the Varsity players had to set this one out becaues of dicipline reasons, any truth to that? If so, Sealy beat the La Grange JV. team. Can anyone from La Grange clear this one up? Did Sealy's stud runningback, that was arrested last week play?Only our kicker sat it out because he apparently skipped class. Hardly a felony but La Grange is very strict with discipline unlike some other schools.

Yes Andrus played and he was terrific. I would think Miami would want to take a look at him he would fit in with their player profiles well.

LG lost not because they were short on players, they just could not stop the Sealy drives in the second half that ate up the clock. The defense was on the field for more than 18 minutes in the second half. They just were worn out and the defensive line was too small for the big offensive line of Sealy. Sealy is a very good team and Bellville better take them seriosly or they will get beat. The Sealy coaches are impressive, these kids are disciplined, at least on the playing field.

<small>[ September 13, 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

Brahma73
09-13-2003, 12:59 AM
Had to stay close to my office tonight, so I went over to Sealy for the game. I sat on the LG side, 'cause I've got lots of friends there. After seeing the teams, my impartial, non-emotional summary is:

1. Sealy won - scoreboard
2. Sealy was able to sustain drives because their O-line was bigger and overcame LG's D-line, and they have superior athletes in Zapalac (QB), Brantly (what a specimen!), and Andrus (he's for real on the field).
3. LG is over-rated this year again in my opinion, though they play with a great deal of heart and enthusiasm. They again lack the overall team speed on both sides of the ball that used to take them to higher levels. Coach V is a great speed coach, but Andrus is his only real flier. They did have one or two respectable runs from a couple of backs, particularly #8, I think.
4. LG's inability to effectively throw will be a problem. Anderle has great running instincts and is suprisingly strong for his size. However his passing confidence and accuracy must improve. Didn't see a lot of separation from the LG receivers. Didn't see evidence of a kicker, either.
5. Sealy is very quick defensively and they tackle well.
6. Admittedly, Sealy's 1st score was a gimme (recovered LG fumble in end zone), but they controlled the game offensively. Sealy reciprocated by coughing up the ball in the last minute to allow LG to score an easy TD, but rarely were the Tigers stopped tonight.

This was a very fast-moving, entertaining game, and I still expect the Leps to get better. Tony V will keep them improving. The Tigers will make 23AAA really interesting.

p.s. WAY TO GO BULLS! :D

Pudlugger
09-13-2003, 01:07 AM
Brahma73:
Had to stay close to my office tonight, so I went over to Sealy for the game. I sat on the LG side, 'cause I've got lots of friends there. After seeing the teams, my impartial, non-emotional summary is:

1. Sealy won - scoreboard
2. Sealy was able to sustain drives because their O-line was bigger and overcame LG's D-line, and they have superior athletes in Zapalac (QB), Brantly (what a specimen!), and Andrus (he's for real on the field).
3. LG is over-rated this year again in my opinion, though they play with a great deal of heart and enthusiasm. They again lack the overall team speed on both sides of the ball that used to take them to higher levels. Coach V is a great speed coach, but Andrus is his only real flier. They did have one or two respectable runs from a couple of backs, particularly #8, I think.
4. LG's inability to effectively throw will be a problem. Anderle has great running instincts and is suprisingly strong for his size. However his passing confidence and accuracy must improve. Didn't see a lot of separation from the LG receivers. Didn't see evidence of a kicker, either.
5. Sealy is very quick defensively and they tackle well.
6. Admittedly, Sealy's 1st score was a gimme (recovered LG fumble in end zone), but they controlled the game offensively. Sealy reciprocated by coughing up the ball in the last minute to allow LG to score an easy TD, but rarely were the Tigers stopped tonight.

This was a very fast-moving, entertaining game, and I still expect the Leps to get better. Tony V will keep them improving. The Tigers will make 23AAA really interesting.

p.s. WAY TO GO BULLS! :D Brahma73 got to say I agree with you on most of what you have to say. I do think the Leps are a very talented team and overated is not something the team or coaches have control over, simply the by-product of raised expectations from past successes.

I think the defensive line is too small. I would hope the coaches come to this conclusion too and put some size in the middle, at least on 3rd and short and goaline situations. The Leps will gel as a team and Anderle will continue to improve. Hopefully the Coaches will try to utilize the short pass more often as they have two excellent TE.s who pretty much were not employed in the play calling tonight.