PDA

View Full Version : 4 way tie for first place in District....

marlin fan
06-02-2004, 02:23 PM
What happens when 4 teams tie for first place in District does each school get a trophy or what???

Sans Couth
06-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by marlin fan
What happens when 4 teams tie for first place in District does each school get a trophy or what???

I am gonna have to do the math, but I don't think 4 teams can tie for first place in a six team district. Let me grab a pencil and get back with you.

Phil C
06-02-2004, 03:18 PM
If the four teams tied with each other and beat the other two teams then it could be a four way tie. Probably it would depend on the agreements of the schools hopefully decided on before the season. Since the teams tied the point different would be invalid so it would probably come to a coin flip to see which team doesn't advance and flips decide what place each team gets. Of course the school with the biggest enrollent is Division 1 and the others in division 2.

marlin fan
06-02-2004, 03:18 PM
this past year in football district 19 was an 8 team district. Fairfield, Mexia, Groesbeck, and Crocket were the top 4 teams in district with the record W5 L2

Phil C
06-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Of course the likelihood of having four ties is remote due to the overtime playoffs.

Sans Couth
06-02-2004, 03:37 PM
That is just it Phil, I don't think 4 teams can have identical records and have better records than the other two teams when all six teams have to play each other. Normally I could figure this out real fast, but I have a headache, and I can't get my grey matter started.

Sans Couth
06-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Let me give it a shot off the top of my head.

If six teams play each other in the same district that represents 15 district wins and 15 district losses.

If four of those teams have identical records that are better than the remaining teams you would need. four 3-2 records a 2-3 record and a 1-4 record. And then you would need everyone's common opponents, and while it is possible that all four teams beat the 1-4 team, only 2 or 3 of those teams beat the 2-3 team which leaves the possibility of the head to head competition out of balance. I will now have to spend the afternoon proving this one way or the other, or I will not be able to sleep tonight.

Thanks a lot marlin fan.:rolleyes: :D

mwynn05
06-02-2004, 04:54 PM
it happened to fairfield they did ther playoffs by point differencial and groesbeck was out bc Fairfield beat them 51-6......and dont the schools have to buy the trophy themselves any way? they all prolly just bought one that said 5-2 district champs

Hupernikomen
06-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Team 1 Wins over 2, 3, and 6 Losses to 4 and 5

Team 2 Wins over 3, 4, and 5 Losses to 1 and 6

Team 3 Wins over 4, 5, and 6 Losses to 1and 2

Team 4 Wins over 1, 5, and 6 Losses to 2 and 3

Team 5 Wins over 1 and 6 Losses to 2, 3, and 4

Team 6 Wins over 2 Losses to 1, 3, 4, and 5

The Head to Head wouldn't eliminate anyone that I can tell and I would imagine a point differential would have to resolve this scenario.

Sans Couth
06-02-2004, 06:25 PM
But in your scenario.

Teams ONE and TWO have wins over two top four teams, while teams three and four have wins over only one top four team each. Team One has head to head win over team two.

Gasilla
06-02-2004, 08:49 PM
I don't know about the 6 team district but, in the 9 team district that WO-S just left. In the last game of the season, had the fieldgoal that Ozen made been allowed to stand ( which is a very sore subject I might add), there would have been a 5 way tie for first place between WO-S, PNG, Nederland, Central and Ozen all at 6-2 in district.