PDA

View Full Version : Going back to Burnet vs. Gainesville...

KTJ
06-01-2004, 05:27 PM
(I'm bored and don't want to do Spanish homework...)

So as a few of you know, I am a basketball referee in Austin. I ref Varsity, mostly 4A and 5A schools. But every once in a while, they give me a junior high game because as you know, basketball referees (actually, refs of all sports) are low in numbers--so some of us good guys have to go do junior high and freshman ball. :) ;)

Anywho, I was sent to Burnet Middle School and I got to talking with some of the BMS coaches. I mentioned how I was originally from Gainesville and we got to talking about the game. But one of the coaches said something that kinda stood out. He said how he, and the other Burnet coaches, weren't really that impressed with Gainesville from what they saw on film. But once they started playing on the field, they were really in shock.

Did other schools view Gainesville as the same way? Not very impressed early on?

3afan2K3
06-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
(I'm bored and don't want to do Spanish homework...)

So as a few of you know, I am a basketball referee in Austin. I ref Varsity, mostly 4A and 5A schools. But every once in a while, they give me a junior high game because as you know, basketball referees (actually, refs of all sports) are low in numbers--so some of us good guys have to go do junior high and freshman ball. :) ;)

Anywho, I was sent to Burnet Middle School and I got to talking with some of the BMS coaches. I mentioned how I was originally from Gainesville and we got to talking about the game. But one of the coaches said something that kinda stood out. He said how he, and the other Burnet coaches, weren't really that impressed with Gainesville from what they saw on film. But once they started playing on the field, they were really in shock.

Did other schools view Gainesville as the same way? Not very impressed early on?
Maybe they just werent ready. They had almost no challenge all season long and when they finally played a very good team they just couldnt handle it.

Old Tiger
06-01-2004, 05:46 PM
sometimes film is decieving..

JasperDog94
06-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by 3afan2K3
Maybe they just werent ready. They had almost no challenge all season long and when they finally played a very good team they just couldnt handle it. I think Burnet got all they could handle the game before Gainsville. So I wouldn't say that they weren't challenged all season.

Old Tiger
06-02-2004, 09:53 AM
who did they play before the state game? Wasn't it Jasper?

3afan2K3
06-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Maybe they just werent ready. They had almost no challenge all season long and when they finally played a very good team they just couldnt handle it.

JasperDog94
06-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
who did they play before the state game? Wasn't it Jasper? Yes. It was the first time all year that Burnet had even been behind. I still think that Jasper exposed a weakness in Burnet's game that Gainsville was able to capitalize on.

HighSchool Fan
06-02-2004, 10:33 AM
I don't know it Jasper showed Gainesville a weakness or not. Regardless of what Jasper did to Burnett, Gainesville was still going to run, run, run and run more on Burnett. That is what Gainesville did all year. On offense, Gainesville didn't change anything. Maybe Jasper helped out on defense, but I don't know for sure.

BullFrog Dad
06-02-2004, 10:52 AM
LW played Gainesville early in '03. I remember turning to my Dad at halftime and saying that we might be watching a State Champ. A few weeks later we played Grace Prep. Let's just say '03 Gainesville vs '03 Grace Prep, Hmmmm.

olddawggreen
06-02-2004, 12:15 PM
I know personally, I tracked Forney all year, thats who I really expected Burnet would play for State. I didn't really pay much attention to Gainsville untill they beat Forney. As far as Burnet not being challenged before the final game, wrong. While the scores didn't always show it, there were challenges along the way. Jasper could have easly been a contender for the state championship this last year. Sinton didn't roll over either. The fact is, Gainsville was just the best of the best.

3afan2K3
06-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I know personally, I tracked Forney all year, thats who I really expected Burnet would play for State. I didn't really pay much attention to Gainsville untill they beat Forney. As far as Burnet not being challenged before the final game, wrong. While the scores didn't always show it, there were challenges along the way. Jasper could have easly been a contender for the state championship this last year. Sinton didn't roll over either. The fact is, Gainsville was just the best of the best.
Who ever said they werent challenged until the final game?

olddawggreen
06-03-2004, 07:17 PM

You did :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3afan2K3
06-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
You did :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
No No I didnt. I said the had ALMOST NO CHALLENGE all season, there challenges being Jasper and G-ville.