PDA

View Full Version : State Softball Tournament

cgw1622
05-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Caldwell plays Wharton Thursday at 7;30pm Monahans plays Lindale Friday at 8:30am. Anyone know how Wharton is? I know they must be good to get this far but I really haven't heard much about them.

Old Tiger
05-30-2004, 11:32 AM
There good as yall let them be... ;)

Old Cardinal
05-30-2004, 01:44 PM
I go with Caldwell. They have great Coaching and that makes a difference in the playoffs. Brandi C. will pitch and Caldwell will win!

lobo12
05-30-2004, 03:50 PM
anybody know anything about lindale?

BU97
05-30-2004, 11:10 PM
So you are saying that Wharton doesn't have good coaching? Heck of a statement about a guy that has made two straight trips to the final four!

Old Tiger
05-30-2004, 11:46 PM
I think he thinks Caldwells coaching staff is better but not telling w/ OC

Sans Couth
05-31-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by lobo12
anybody know anything about lindale?
I know that Lindale is one of those 3A schools that when they show up, they look like a 5A team, because of the number of fans and players they have. I watched Lindale play an 8th grade football game last year, and they had a marching band with about 75 kids in it. And they were 8th graders.:eek: Do the math.

Dulce04
05-31-2004, 11:07 AM
Well, I think that Caldwell is one of those teams who have proven that fans don't matter. Caldwell is a volleyball town so our softball fans just now started showing up towards the end of our regionals. It's alright though. We'll win with them or without them. It doesn't matter. It's the team playing, not the fans. We cheer enough in the dugout to make up for our fans :)

Old Tiger
05-31-2004, 11:18 AM
well good luck caldwell yall are representing district 18-3a very well.

marlin fan
05-31-2004, 02:31 PM
GO HORNETS SWARM!!!!!!

Old Cardinal
05-31-2004, 02:59 PM
I know that Wendy Weiss is one of the better Coaches in
Region III and that is good enough for me..... Know nothing about Wharton's coaching.
Again good Coaching, good pitching, great teamwork effort, and a long hard battle to win Region III--go Caldwell, represent your Region and bring back that Trophy!

GD_softballgirl04
05-31-2004, 07:19 PM
Wharton has good coaching, other wise they wouldn't of made it this far! The Wharton Lady Tigers have eveything a team needs to have to win it! I go for Wharton to win it this year!!!!

Go Lady Tigers!!!!

lobo12
05-31-2004, 10:13 PM
fans of lindale dont concern me that much. we have about 25 guys that paint their bodies and beat on trashcans and stuff and yell throughout the whole game. doubt all of them will make it since it is a 5 or more hour drive from monahans but some will

tfan10
05-31-2004, 10:20 PM
Forget about all the coaching and fans when it comes to deciding the winner. Wharton has senior leadership and experience in their favor, six starters return from last years state team and four of them are seniors. Go Wharton! It would be nice to see region IV bring home a state championship!

VWG
05-31-2004, 10:27 PM
My two cents...
In softball and in baseball, take the team with the best pitching staff. A hot pitcher can dominate a hot hitting team most of the time.
This is more true, in my opinion, in softball rather than baseball.
Softball pitchers can pitch major amounts of innings... and then turn around and pitch the next day. In baseball a kid going over 100 pitches can be spent and have to rest for at least 2 days or more.
Look at Crowley in 4A. They've got this girl, last name of Denny, that they have rode all the way to the tournament.
I'm sure it's the same for a lot of softball teams. Again, the state champ will have the best pitching staff.

BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
05-31-2004, 10:45 PM
I talked with a guy form Midland Christian in Gatesville when Caldwell played China Spring & he was quite impressed with Caldwell. He was extremely impressed with the pitching performance of Brandi Crnkovic. When she is on she is almost un hittable she has 300+ strikeouts this year. Caldwell also has a senior ball club that lost last year to state champ Kirbyville in the 3rd round. Six of girls also went to the state turney in volleyball.

tfan10
05-31-2004, 11:03 PM
Sounds like this Caldwell-Wharton game will be a low scoring game bc Wharton has a good young pitcher who is really dominating right now plus Wharton has a lineup of hitters that most 3a teams cannot match up against. Wharton has 2 players that will be playing college ball next year.

lobo12
05-31-2004, 11:26 PM
burnt orange hornet, we played yall in the semi final game in volleyball, i remember that yall had a girl that was tall and i dont know what the position is called a hitter or something, i know she was always spiking the ball, possibly #9 or 15. not sure at all about that. anyway does she play softball because i remember that she was a good athlete. and was she a senior or what?

lobo12
05-31-2004, 11:32 PM
how do they determine who plays who, is it region 1 agains region2 and region 3 against region four. or is it a seeding. if it is a seeding process which i think it is because that is the way they have it in volleyball what was the order of the seeds

3afan
06-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Dulce04
... Caldwell is a volleyball town so our softball fans just now started showing up towards the end of our regionals. ... VB's been over since November ... NOVEMBER, 2003 !!!

3afan
06-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
how do they determine who plays who, is it region 1 agains region2 and region 3 against region four. or is it a seeding. if it is a seeding process which i think it is because that is the way they have it in volleyball what was the order of the seeds
they take the top 2 teams by winning percentage, then those 2 draw for their opponent

BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
06-01-2004, 03:28 PM
lobo12 she is a Jr. and is the pitcher.

lobo12
06-01-2004, 03:48 PM
who were the top two teams

Dulce04
06-01-2004, 03:58 PM
It doesn't matter if it is a team with nothing but freshman who have never even been to the state tournament before. If Wharton is so good... what's up with their record? For that matter, they aren't even ranked. But personally, the rankings don't matter but i do take into consideration the team's record. Whoever goes to the tournament and does what they need to do to get the job done is going to win... plain and simple. I believe it's going to be the Caldwell Lady Hornets. Yes, this is their first trip to the state tournament but they also have senior leadership and 6 of the girls have been to state in volleyball... I know it's not the same but they know what is one the line and how intense it is. They also know that there are 7 seniors on the team and that it is now or never. For Lobo..... Our pitcher is the tall girl that you were talking about on the volleyball team... her number was 1... her softball number is 3. As for going to college.... we have four girls on the team right now with offers and are undecided. However; in the grand sceme of things .... that ALL doesn't matter! What matters is what's GOING to happen on that field Thursday night. It's going to be close. Good luck.

lobo12
06-01-2004, 04:02 PM
dont know where i got 9 or 15 from. anyway we have about 4 girls that went to the state tournament in volleyball but anything can happen because this is a different sport. i was just wondering how good lindale was. i know they must be good to get this far but have they been ranked during the year.

Dugoutcoach
06-01-2004, 07:37 PM
What's up with Wharton's record?, If you would have followed this board more closely during the season, you would know that Wharton chose to "play up" during the preseason and five of their losses were to 4a & 5a "powerhouse programs" which included SA Holmes, El Campo and Lamar Con.
Their preseason successes included wins over Victoria Memorial, Lamar Con., St. Joseph-Victoria, and El Campo. "Fitting Preparation" I would say for returning to "The Ship"!!!

Phil C
06-01-2004, 09:10 PM
I agree that pitching is very important and can make a different. Last year Taft had a good team and even though they lost it was very close. They lose their pitcher and they get beat bad by teams that they either beat last year or played very close games. A pitcher can keep you close but I am not sure they can win games by themselves though because you got to be able to get that run that wins for you plus when a team does get a hit you got to have the defense that can bail you out with good fielding.

cgw1622
06-01-2004, 10:02 PM
I agree with the pitching , that it has to be good but also if your team doesn't hit then you end up with a game that last forever and pray your team doesn't make the first error. That is what usually loses or wins a game like that. I think the Lady Hornets are there for the win and hopefully pull it off. Don't think that any team is going to run rule or have it easy when you've made it this far. All four teams in 3A have got to be good to be where they are. It is just going to boil down to pitching and defense.
GO LADY HORNETS

cgw1622
06-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Hey Phil C I see you are from Sinton. Did you know any Saunders there?

cgw1622
06-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Well the charter bus with the Lady Hornets from Caldwell is on it's way to Austin!!!! That's an excited bunch of ladies. About half have been thru this before in volleyball so it's not new but still it is exciting. Godd Luck to all at the State Tournament and most of HAVE FUN!!!!!! GO LADY HORNETS

PhiI C
06-02-2004, 06:44 PM
No cwg I don't recall any but the name is familiar.

cgw1622
06-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Just wondering, Phil C, I'm originally from Kingsville but had family in Sinton for years until about 10 years ago. My uncle was a coach and aunt was elementary teacher. Used to go there every summer to rodeo with cousins. BOY that was a long time ago.

GD_softballgirl04
06-03-2004, 12:12 AM
GO LADY TIGERS!

lobo12
06-03-2004, 12:24 PM
adios, we are off to the state tournament in austin. should be fun.

GO LOBOES!!!!!!!!!!!

BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
06-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Have a safe trip.

Phil C
06-03-2004, 01:40 PM
I lived in Kingsville about ten years cwg from 1967 to 1974 and 1076 to 1980. I went to several of the Lady Brahmas softball games this year. They had a great bunch of seniors that have been outstanding since their freshmen year. They may not have gone to Austin but it took good playoff teams to stop them and Kingsville can be proud of those young ladies.

cgw1622
06-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Well the Caldwell Lady Hornets lost in the eighth inning to Wharton. Like I said those errors will lose it every time and we made some doosies in the eighth!!! Cost us three runs. Congrats to the Lady Tigers. Watched the Monahans vs Lindale game and I have to go with Wharton Lady Tigers for the win. I think they are a better team but you just never know. Lindale beat Monahans 4-2.