PDA

View Full Version : Jasper vs. LaGrange

JasperDog94
05-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Any ideas as to where this game might be played?

j_dog
05-29-2004, 08:57 PM
The coaches talked after the game. They were to go eat, then meet in Conroe tonight for the flipping. Hope the Dogs win the flip for 3 games! :)

Pudlugger
05-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Congratulations to Jasper for putting away a scrappy Columbus team. Looks like we're headed for a real great showdown between two excellent ball clubs. If it is a three game series who do you think will lead off for Jasper? La Grange probably will go with Homer first but you never know maybe Zoch or Kozelsky and holding Bailey for game two.

j_dog
05-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Congratulations to Jasper for putting away a scrappy Columbus team. Looks like we're headed for a real great showdown between two excellent ball clubs. If it is a three game series who do you think will lead off for Jasper? La Grange probably will go with Homer first but you never know maybe Zoch or Kozelsky and holding Bailey for game two.
Who knows? It could be one of three, even four pitchers. Usually, Keaton Yeates starts the first game, but Josey Parker is just as tough, sometimes more-so. Parker started both games today!

Bellville22
05-30-2004, 03:25 PM
UIL has it as a 3-game series.

Game 1: Thursday, 7:30 @ Blinn College
Game 2: Friday, 5:00 @ Blinn College
Game 3*: follows Game 2.

I would imagine Jasper won the flip/flips. Even if LG wanted 3 a series, I'm sure they would prefer a Thurs/Sat and give Bailey a better chance to throw some innings on Saturday if needed. However against BH he threw 4 or 5 in the first game, then came back the next day and threw 2.

Should be a terrific series.

I'm taking LaGrange in 2 very close games.

Old Tiger
05-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Jasper has great hitters...La Grange has great pitching....I see it coming down to a game 3 La Grange winning by 1 in extra innings

j_dog
05-30-2004, 05:45 PM
I like the schedule! :) But all it does is MAYBE give Jasper a fighting chance. La Grange will still be a heavy favorite.

Pudlugger
05-30-2004, 06:58 PM
This will be a tremendous series. Unfortunately I have to go to Dallas for the weekend but I plan on watching game one. I would expect Bailey to lead off the series. A chance to watch this great team is a rare thing. The Lorena-La Grange game was a stunningly well excecuted error free ballgame with numerous outstanding individual efforts making the entire spectacle a truly memorable event. Good luck to the Leps, and here's to a great
and injury free series.:)

j_dog
05-31-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Jasper has great hitters...La Grange has great pitching.....
La Grange obviously must have some pretty good hitters also to go with its pitching else they wouldn't have scored so many runs. And Jasper pitching just might surprise in a close game. There will be so many possible nuances in this series. Pudlugger is right. It should be a great series. And Blinn will be a great place for the game. I wouldn't miss it for the world. :)

fred grunden
05-31-2004, 12:52 AM
Just want you Jasper folks to know that I listened to 102.7 FM all the way to Nacogdoches and I did not miss anything of game 1 and all I missed of game 2 was a little bit due to conversations in the car. What a day for Jasper fans. I also know that it fades out near the Indian Reservation when you head west, so don't depend on listening to the next game if you are headed west.
It seemed like the inning in which we scored 10 runs lasted 45 minutes in our half alone. I wish we could shove some of those runs into the Lagrange games.:D

La Grange
05-31-2004, 01:36 PM
This is going to be another great matchup for the region III championship, and both these teams see themselves coming out with the W.

This week LG's coach might change it up I think and not start Homer, but save him to close possibly and start the 2nd game. The LG bats are coming around nicely, so don't think that this is just a one man show.

Isn't Jasper pretty far away from Brenham? That isn't that far for LG, only about 40 min. I would think that the LG coaches would of went for the one game if they won the toss, so I was just wondering what the deal was?

I got LG in two very very close and exciting games.

LGHernandez#5
05-31-2004, 03:40 PM
I got La Grange in 2.

Chris Hart
05-31-2004, 04:55 PM
This should be a very entertaining series. I expect LaGrange to win the game that Bailey starts(still a close one) and the Jasper bats to take the other two. Jasper in 3!

Bellville22
05-31-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
[B

This week LG's coach might change it up I think and not start Homer, but save him to close possibly and start the 2nd game. [/B]

Unless he's hurt, I'm pretty sure LG will throw Bailey. When you have the best pitcher in the state, and you're the best team in the state, you don't adjust to play teams; teams have to adjust to play you. Jasper is the one who should save their ace for Game 2.

Pudlugger
05-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
This should be a very entertaining series. I expect LaGrange to win the game that Bailey starts(still a close one) and the Jasper bats to take the other two. Jasper in 3!

Wrong

eagle.eyes
06-01-2004, 01:07 AM
I second that Pudlugger!

spiveyrat
06-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Not much respect on here for a Jasper team that has been putting up some big scores in playoff games! Keep it up guys. I hope LaGrange's players are just as overconfident as you! :p

La Grange
06-01-2004, 07:44 AM
I don't know if it is being cocky. That is just the same as saying that yall are being cocky for saying Jasper is going to take the series.

There is a lot of respect for Jasper in LG, come-on they made it to the regional final it would be stupid not to give them any respect :D .

JasperDog94
06-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by La Grange
Isn't Jasper pretty far away from Brenham? That isn't that far for LG, only about 40 min. I would think that the LG coaches would of went for the one game if they won the toss, so I was just wondering what the deal was? I'm curious about that myself. Maybe Jasper won the toss for number of games and LaGrange got to pick the site. I know Jasper wouldn't have picked Brenham. That's at least 2 1/2 hours away. Probably more.

spiveyrat
06-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Just callin' 'em like I see 'em.

There is not one comment from a Jasper resident or alum that even mentions Jasper winning. Yeah, we're pretty cocky. :rolleyes: I do realize that all that cockiness isn't coming from LaGrange, though.

JasperDog94
06-01-2004, 09:27 AM
I think Spivey is referring to Pudluggers remark of "wrong" when someone said they thought Jasper would win.

WoodvilleFan
06-01-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'm curious about that myself. Maybe Jasper won the toss for number of games and LaGrange got to pick the site. I know Jasper wouldn't have picked Brenham. That's at least 2 1/2 hours away. Probably more. LaGrange wanted 1 game at UH. Mixon won the flip for 3 games. LaGrange wanted to play Thursday/Saturday. Mixon said he would agree to Blinn for Thursday/Friday games

JasperDog94
06-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by WoodvilleFan
LaGrange wanted 1 game at UH. Mixon won the flip for 3 games. LaGrange wanted to play Thursday/Saturday. Mixon said he would agree to Blinn for Thursday/Friday games ohhhhh. Thanks.

WoodvilleFan
06-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Does anyone know the 20-AAA all-district selections or where to find them?

Pudlugger
06-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Not much respect on here for a Jasper team that has been putting up some big scores in playoff games! Keep it up guys. I hope LaGrange's players are just as overconfident as you! :p

I have respect for Jasper if you read all my posts on this thread and elsewhere you would know that. I just think this is going to be La Grange's series. The Leps are hitting better than they have all year and with their pitching they will be hard to beat. Lorena had one of the best hitting teams in 3A and scored 2 runs on Homer. My guess is it will be a low scoring series and the outcome will hinge on whoever makes fewer errors. That being said, you never know and the games will have to be played. Jasper might upset the Leps. If the Leps bring their A game I think they will win in 2.

La Grange
06-01-2004, 08:23 PM
The gossip around town that I heard was that we were going to play in Huntsville but for some reason they do not have lights for their baseball field, and the Jasper coach asked our coach if Brenham was an hour and a half away from LG and our coach jumped on the situation and said yeah about that long :D . So thinking that the Jasper coach agreed to Brenham, that is what I heard from a friend of a friend on the grape vine so don't take it as the written book.

Bellville22
06-01-2004, 11:21 PM
Shouldn't make that much of a difference. At this point, all the boys are thrilled to be playing, and they'd go anywhere to play. Blinn has a tremendous baseball field, and it will serve as an excellent host for the games.

j_dog
06-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Shouldn't make that much of a difference. At this point, all the boys are thrilled to be playing, and they'd go anywhere to play. Blinn has a tremendous baseball field, and it will serve as an excellent host for the games.
Well said. Jasper has already played at least one game at Blinn this year. It is a great ballpark, and Jasper did very well there. So, I don't think you are going to get any complaints from Jasper players or fans about the park. :) And yes, La Grange is the favorite; perhaps even an overwhelming favorite. Jasper is just lucky and grateful for the opportunity to play the games. :)

fred grunden
06-02-2004, 12:19 AM
According to KJAS radio web site, this is the first time Jasper has been to the regional finals since 1985. I thought we had been again since then but maybe KJAS is right. I remember 1985 very well as my son was the baseball team manager (His sport was football). We did very well that year until our #1 pitcher got sick late in the season. I think it was mononucleosis. We still kept winning and got to the state tournament in Austin, but by then a bunch of the team members were sick. Not so much with mono, but a host of things. Seems like one of them had measles. Mononucleosis can drag on for weeks with low grade temp and make you weak. So we went into the state tournament a much weaker team physically than we had hoped and needless to say, we did not win a state championship. Such was the luck of the Jasper Bulldogs in a previous year, and goes to show what can happen to any team any time.

Bulldog92
06-02-2004, 08:29 AM
If memory serves, New Braunfels beat us that year. That was a great team, though. I think Nathan Guidry was the ace you're talking about. Is that right?

spiveyrat
06-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog92
If memory serves, New Braunfels beat us that year. That was a great team, though. I think Nathan Guidry was the ace you're talking about. Is that right?

I doubt it. Nate graduated in '88.

fred grunden
06-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog92
No, he may have been on the pitching staff that year, but the ace was Steven Spencer, a member of the class of '85. Spencer had the ability to get tough under pressure. He is one of our local dentists now.

Hupernikomen
06-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Nate could humm that ball.

spiveyrat
06-03-2004, 06:25 AM
Tonight's the night. Go DOGS!!!

kepdawg
06-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Anybody going to be able to provide updates?

bearkatdad
06-03-2004, 08:08 PM
kepdawg..I'll try and keep you updated..Top of the 3rd now..no score...both teams have 1 hit apiece..

kepdawg
06-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks!

bearkatdad
06-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Top of the 4th..Jaspers' Yeates having control probs..he walked in a run..LaGrange 1..Jasper 0..no outs, Jasper is changing pitchers.
Jason Reagan will pitch now..

bearkatdad
06-03-2004, 08:46 PM
..score now LaGrange 3, Jasper 0, Jasper coming to bat...bottom of the 4th Ouch

kepdawg
06-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the updates! Hopefully the 'dogs can pick up some runs!

bearkatdad
06-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Top of the 5th..LaGrange 3, Jasper 0....Jasper left 2 men in scoring position..

bearkatdad
06-03-2004, 09:08 PM
LaGrange gets another run..now its Lagrange 4, Jasper 0..Jasper coming to bat...bottom of the 5th..

bearkatdad
06-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Bear with me...the radio station lost the connection...some kind of technical probs, I suppose..I'll post as soon as they come back on with an update..

bearkatdad
06-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Game is back on..top of the 6th. Lagrange 4, Jasper 0..I guess I spoke too soon..game is off again..lost phone connection..

DawgFan91
06-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Has Bailey pitched the entire game?

bearkatdad
06-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Lost connection just as Jasper hit a home run..so, Jasper has at least 1 run...not sure if anyone was on when he hit the home run??

bearkatdad
06-03-2004, 09:43 PM
ok..bottom of the 7th..score is LaGrange 5, Jasper 1..Jasper coming to bat..c'mon Dogs...

bearkatdad
06-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Final score...LaGrange 5, Jasper 1...game 2 tomorrow at 5pm..

RBARKER
06-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the updates Bearkat

bearkatdad
06-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Your welcome..glad to help out.

j_dog
06-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by DawgFan91
Has Bailey pitched the entire game?
Yes, Bailey pitched the whole game. Just back from the game. He is everything he was touted to be, and then some. Sure hope he can't pitch back to back days. ;) According to talk around the park, even at the end of the game he was still throwing 95-96 mph! :(

Congratulations to La Grange! And go Dogs! Get back into the series tomorrow. :)

Pudlugger
06-04-2004, 12:07 AM
That big Bulldog pitcher had some juice as well, he just got a little rattled and lost control. That's high school baseball at its best. The Jasper home run was spectacular with the batter conecting square on a fastball proving the laws of physics correct with over 360 feet distance. A tough Jasper ballclub with powerful hitters and depth at pitching will stretch LG, but I still take the Leps in game 2 tomorrow. Go Leps!:)