PDA

View Full Version : Sinton senior won't walk

District303aPastPlayer
05-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Sinton Senior Wont Walk
School says it found student with drugs

By Jaime Powell Caller-Times
May 28, 2004

SINTON - Even though 19-year-old Eli Garcia completed all of his course requirements, he won't get to walk across the stage at tonight's graduation because the school district says he was involved in an illegal drug transaction on campus.

Not so, say his family and some city and county officials.

The issue dates back to when Garcia was found in a bathroom at Sinton High School with another boy who had prescription drugs for hyperactivity in his possession.

Garcia said he stopped in the bathroom on the way back to class, and another student walked in a short time later and was acting strange. When Garcia asked the other student what was wrong, the student said he needed to take a pill.

"He showed me the pills, and that was when the teacher walked in," he said. "She said she had reason to believe there was a drug transaction going on."

Since April, Garcia has been in Sinton Independent School District's alternative education program because of the incident.

Sinton ISD school board members could not be reached for comment. Superintendent Mike Roberts and high school administrators would not comment Thursday.

Garcia's mother called San Patricio County Commissioner Nina Trevino to ask for help. Trevino said she spoke to Roberts, who told her the school district has proof Garcia was in the wrong. Trevino disagreed. Garcia did not have drugs or money in his possession when he was searched, and police who were called to the scene did not cite him, police said.

"It's wrong," Trevino said. "They have nothing. No proof. This kid has worked for his diploma for 14 years and I do not believe this is the way to treat a child."

Sinton Police Chief Eugene DeLeon said his officers were called to the scene and did not find evidence against Garcia.

"We are not working a case against (Garcia)," DeLeon said. "We were involved in the initial call, but we did not pursue anything on the young man. On our part we don't have anything to follow on this young man."

Garcia said that he willingly submitted to a search and that he is not guilty of the accusations leveled verbally by the school district.

"I was glad to be searched," he said. "I took off my shoes and everything. I emptied my pockets and I did not have anything. They sent me home and I did not even get busted with anything. I was really mad."

Garcia's mother, Soledad Aguirre, has been on a one-woman crusade for the past month trying to make sure her son gets what she says he deserves.

She called everyone she could think of for help, including local politicians and civil rights organizations. Thursday afternoon she got the final verdict from Roberts - Garcia won't walk the graduation stage.

But Aguirre is not ready to give up. She still hopes school district officials will change their minds.

"I am a single parent barely making it," she said.

"But all of my other kids (aged 21 and 25) graduated. He is the last one and he deserves it too."

Garcia was resigned.

"I feel like it's a mother's dream to watch their daughter or son walk," he said. "It really hurt her more than it hurt me. I knew they would not let me walk. I tried everything. I tried as hard as I could."

THIS IS A TRAVISTY... HE DIDNT WALK TONIGHT.

Ranger Mom
05-28-2004, 11:21 PM
That is so sad. As a very proud mother of a senior who DID walk tonight, WooHoo...way to go Chad!!! (Sorry, I just didn't get it all out of my system earlier), my heart breaks for the mother!!

sinton66
05-28-2004, 11:43 PM
More and more, zero tolerance is beginning to resemble zero intelligence.

SintonFan
05-29-2004, 01:54 AM
Man, I don't know what to think...:(

slpybear the bullfan
05-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
More and more, zero tolerance is beginning to resemble zero intelligence.

Yes... Zero Tolerance is just another way to be lazy in management.

It is very difficult to address each situation with integrity to your values yet recognize that each one has different cirucumstances. When you are too lazy to do that you get... Zero Tolerance... Even when everyone realizes the decision is stupid, the powers at be simply shake their head and say, "sorry, zero tolerance, those are the rules."

LAZY.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-29-2004, 09:24 PM
That is a disgrace. The guy deserves to graduate. I agree with Sleepy and '66. Sounds like something that happened in Rockdale not too long ago.

j_dog
05-29-2004, 09:49 PM
What ever happened to presumed innocence? :mad:

Sounds like some good attorney could clean the school administration's clock. I detest attorneys who bring frivolous lawsuits, but in cases like this ............. Well, it is enough to make you think about it! :(

sinton66
05-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Bear in mind, to be totally fair here, there may be more to this story than what we're hearing. I'd have to talk with the super to be able to draw a proper judgement, but still, if the LAW found no cause, I can't see the district sticking to it's guns. Just doesn't sound right.

j_dog
05-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Bear in mind, to be totally fair here, there may be more to this story than what we're hearing. I'd have to talk with the super to be able to draw a proper judgement, but still, if the LAW found no cause, I can't see the district sticking to it's guns. Just doesn't sound right.
Yes, there are always two sides to any story. 66, you always think of that! :) I like that!

sahen
05-30-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
What ever happened to presumed innocence? :mad:

Sounds like some good attorney could clean the school administration's clock. I detest attorneys who bring frivolous lawsuits, but in cases like this ............. Well, it is enough to make you think about it! :(
ahhh u forget as a student the constitution does not necessarily apply....that sounds really stupid but it is very true if u look at the crap they can do to u in school (no right to privacy, invasion of property is non-existant, heck they can tell u how to dress, but how about the biggie no freedom of speech...if u dont believe that is true then disagree w/ a teacher when they teach something incorrect, some teachers will correct themselves but when u get one that gets mad they are considered in the right and u as teh student can get suspend for insorbidination, just read ur local high school's handbook for many ridiculous rules that could easily be considered unconstitutional and these rules are made by the gov't)...even if they find this kid innocent they will just apologize and thats what the mother and child will get...

Sans Couth
05-30-2004, 09:04 AM
Am I the only one who read this part?

Garcia said he stopped in the bathroom on the way back to class, and another student walked in a short time later and was acting strange. When Garcia asked the other student what was wrong, the student said he needed to take a pill.

"He showed me the pills, and that was when the teacher walked in," he said. "She said she had reason to believe there was a drug transaction going on."

Since when do Female teachers just Walk IN to the boy's restroom?

Buckeye80
05-30-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm gonna have to take my own side on this one. No one here was in that bathroom when whatever supposedly happened, happened. The only people who know are the teacher and the two students. Unless the teacher has some sort of vendetta against the kid, I wouldn't see any reason not to believe her. But if the kid didn't have anything else on him, and the other student actually had a prescription for the med's...........as you can see, I'm effectively straddling the fence on this issue.

sinton66
05-30-2004, 09:56 AM

That's a very good point. That is definitely way out of the ordinary. One must wonder what prompted her actions.

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-30-2004, 10:06 PM
that is a very good point. i didnt catch it until it was mentioned later, then i thought maybe it was some kind of set up. but i doubt that, it wold be ludocris to set up a high school student for not appearant reason.

Chris Hart
05-31-2004, 12:23 AM
Are these the same people that made the decision to have Burnet play Sinton in Corpus Christi last fall?jk:D I am against drugs in every way shape or form, but IMO, if the police didn't pursue anything against the kid, then he should've been able to graduate with his classmates. 14 years of work put into that night is alot for one teacher's 'word' to take away. Something stinks here.

slpybear the bullfan
05-31-2004, 11:48 AM
Its the same kind of laziness that has prompted suspensions for finding a kitchen knife in the trunk of a car (along with camping gear).

Its the same kind of laziness that suspends entire groups of kids because one of the is responsible for a criminal action and no one can deduce who it was... so let's just send 'em all home so we can get the culprit.

Trust me, both sides of my family are working in schools.... (If you want to have some fun, at a family get together just bring up what a great job Rick Perry is doing for Education... DUCK!!!) I have all the sympathy in the world for educators. They do a thankless job for too little compensation. BUT... I also have little sympathy for folks in any job who take the easy way out when required to think or demonstrate integrity to their advertised values.

Zero Tolerance should be applicable only in the "Sentencing Phase" of school discipline. You still have to THINK and make a decision whether or not a student was in violation of a policy.

A couple of questions I would have asked...

Was there a label on the prescription drug container? A name on it?

Was the student remaining in the bathroom after the start of class?

Had the other student checked in with the office the drugs he was required to take?

JasperDog94
06-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Are these the same people that made the decision to have Burnet play Sinton in Corpus Christi last fall?jk:D I am against drugs in every way shape or form, but IMO, if the police didn't pursue anything against the kid, then he should've been able to graduate with his classmates. 14 years of work put into that night is alot for one teacher's 'word' to take away. Something stinks here.
Remember that the teacher is not the one making the decision here. The teacher has the responsibility to make sure that the students are safe. That includes going in the bathroom if he/she thinks something is going on. The administration is the one that decides what to do with that information.

Too many times teachers take the heat for an administrator's decisions.

Chris Hart
06-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Remember that the teacher is not the one making the decision here. The teacher has the responsibility to make sure that the students are safe. That includes going in the bathroom if he/she thinks something is going on. The administration is the one that decides what to do with that information.

Too many times teachers take the heat for an administrator's decisions. Yeah, I know what you mean JD94, but that's basically what I was saying. I know the Administration made the final decision, but they did that apparently on just the teacher's 'word' and not evidence. I agree, the teacher shouldn't get the blame for the decision the admin. made.

spiveyrat
06-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Sans Couth
Am I the only one who read this part?

I caught it!:eek: Unbelievable.

sinton66
06-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Okay, remember there are ALWAYS two sides to every story. The article I read said the ISD was comfortable with their decision. I'll bet we're not getting all the information. Most school boards have a policy that won't let them talk to ANYBODY about a student unless they are that student's parent or legal guardian. This is why they would refuse to discuss the case with the newspaper. The incident about the female teacher walking into the boys bathroom may or may not have even happened. We have only the involved student's version here(through a stupid liberal newspaper, no less). This published version may well have been "guided" by someone else.

Most School Districts also have a policy that if a student is in AEP, they cannot participate in any extracurricular activities, and the graduation ceremony is an extra curricular activity by definition whether a particular student or their parents agree with that assessment or not. At Sinton, that exclusion from extra curricular activities for students in AEP is included in the student handbook.
I don't know this particular student, so, I don't know how much of his story I'd believe.

numberonefan
06-01-2004, 09:49 PM
I saw a similar incident near the boys' restroom earlier this year and reported it. The boy with the pills got sent to AEP, not the one talking to him. Turns out the pills were not what the label said plus students are not allowed to have any drugs on their possession. They are to be left with the school nurse or in the office if the school nurse will not be on campus when the student is supposed to take the medicine.

Also, a couple of different times, we have had a senior at AEP to finish the year, but were allowed to walk. I guess each district is different.