PDA

View Full Version : Remember this story?

WOSgrad
05-28-2004, 02:20 PM
It ends up having a pretty happy ending!

School Honors Boy Who Got 'Crybaby Award'

Friday, May 28, 2004

PLEASANTVILLE, N.J. — A middle school honor student who was humiliated when his basketball coach gave him a "Crybaby Award" last month was feted at a school assembly Friday with applause from his peers and an apology from the coach.

Ousted Pleasantville Middle School coach James Guillen presented Terrence Philo Jr. with a certificate, a trophy and the first-ever Terrence Philo Jr. Award.

"I would like to extend a special apology to the Terrence Philo family," Guillen, 24, told the boy in front of about 250 of his cheering classmates. He blamed his error last month on "my lack of experience as a coach and as a teacher."

Philo, an eighth-grade honor student, played guard on the team, which went 12-3 and won its division championship.

Guillen, a teacher in his first year as coach, had told him to be sure to attend the team's April 24 banquet to accept an award. But when he showed up, Guillen gave him a Crybaby Award trophy for always pleading to get into games.

The boy's family was irate, and Guillen was removed as coach, was suspended from his teaching job for five days and lost a scheduled pay raise.

The boy's determination to participate was the impetus behind the new award, which will go each year to a student who demonstrates dedication and team spirit. Philo said he was pleased.

"How they did it this way, it's better," he said.

St. Joseph's University basketball coach Phil Martelli was on hand to see the boy honored Friday. He guided the team at the small Philadelphia school to a surprising run at the national championship this year, finishing 30-2.

Martelli, who wasn't paid for his appearance, said the assembly would help everyone involved learn from the incident.

"It's an unfortunate situation that I think has ended in a positive vein," he said.

JasperDog94
05-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Sounds like something good actually came of this bad situation.

Ranger Mom
05-28-2004, 02:55 PM
It was probably because of the e-mail I sent to the Superintendent of the school.................ya think???:D :D

WOSgrad
05-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It was probably because of the e-mail I sent to the Superintendent of the school.................ya think???:D :D

I believe it!:clap: :clap: :clap:

GUNHO
05-28-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I knew you had clout.:cheerl:

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-28-2004, 06:08 PM
good job RM, and im glad to see that the situation was handled in a good manner by the school and family. congrats to this young man on his accomplishment.