bearkatdad
05-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Top of the 5th..Columbus 6, Jasper 0

bearkatdad
05-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Top of the 7th...Columbus 6, Jasper 2

fred grunden
05-27-2004, 09:53 PM
We had some kind of bad event happen in the top of the 3rd. Our catcher put the ball down on a third strike and proceeded to the dugout because it was the 3rd out, but the runner ran to first and the umpire gave it to him. There was a big discussion with our catcher, the ump and Mixon. The first base coach
indicated he didn't know what happened. We should have got out of the inning with no runs scored, but they scored three after that. It just went downhill from the point of that play.

bearkatdad
05-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Final score...Columbus 6, Jasper 4.

fred grunden
05-27-2004, 10:11 PM
We made it interesting in the 7th with a 2 out rally that fell short when the game ended after 2 runs scored and the bases loaded.
Ouch! 6-4 Columbus!

j_dog
05-27-2004, 11:08 PM
Just got back from the game. Congratulations to Columbus. The Cardinals executed better than Jasper and deserved to win. The Columbus pitcher did not look that over-powering, but he seemed to keep the Jasper batters confused for most of the game. But once Jasper got to him, the momentum changed. Hope that momentum continues on Saturday. Jasper should have the pitchers to play a follow-up double header so we will see.

Yes, that play in the third inning was squirrelly to say the least. Obviously the Jasper catcher thought the batter was out. He had the ball in his hand and watched the Columbus player go to first. He had a world of time to have thrown him out if that was to be necessary. And Jasper would have been out of the inning and down only by 1, instead of 4. Oh well, Jasper will have to be ready to play on Saturday. Can't afford to give away any more games. :(

Hupernikomen
05-28-2004, 12:07 AM
what about that strike zone? I know it was the same both ways but boy it sure got into Yeates head when the ump repeatedly didn't give him strike he was used to getting on the knees.

spiveyrat
05-28-2004, 06:12 AM
I hope that same officiating crew doesn't call Saturday's game. What time does the first game begin?

WoodvilleFan
05-28-2004, 08:26 AM
For a third place team Columbus is hot and on a roll.

Bellville22
05-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Wow! I was shocked to hear that Columbus was beating Jasper. I thought for sure they had finally met their match. This Cardinal team is simply hot right now. Every player on that team is in one of those zones where they don't believe anyone can get them out. I remember those "zones" from playing, but never have I seen a team like this.

Columbus still has their work cut out for them against a very good Jasper team who obviously will not give in. Gonna be interesting Saturday. I say there's gonna be a 3rd game, but not gonna predict a winner.

j_dog
05-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Columbus still has their work cut out for them against a very good Jasper team who obviously will not give in. Gonna be interesting Saturday. I say there's gonna be a 3rd game, but not gonna predict a winner.
I am afraid to predict that there will be a third game. It remains to be seen how Jasper reacts to losing to a team that perhaps on paper they should have beaten. However, I do predict that if there is a third game, Jasper will win it. It appeared to me that Jasper has way more depth than Columbus, and it should be a long hot day tomorrow. Then again, when you are in that zone .................

JasperDog94
05-28-2004, 02:27 PM
I think my wife and I are going to the game tomorrow. Will anybody else be there? If so, I'd love to meet some fellow 3adownlowers. (is that even a word)

j_dog
05-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I think my wife and I are going to the game tomorrow. Will anybody else be there? If so, I'd love to meet some fellow 3adownlowers. (is that even a word)
I plan to be there. I will be wearing brown Wrangler jeans, a long sleeve striped shirt and a wide brimmed straw hat to protect my tender body from the sun! :D Please pm me if you plan to be looking for me! Then I will know whether to hide. ;) Oh, of course, I will be on the Jasper side, probably somewhat close to the end behind the catcher. Hope to meet some of you guys! :)

SintonFan
05-28-2004, 08:59 PM
Good luck Jasper! I hope you guys take the series.:)

j_dog
05-28-2004, 10:21 PM
An amazing thing! Now that Columbus and Jasper were two of only four teams left alive in 3a Region III, the Houston Chronicle finally found the ink to at least add their games to the list of Region III games! :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

j_dog
05-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Good luck Jasper! I hope you guys take the series.:)
Thank you SintonFan. :) Good luck to your team also!

fred grunden
05-29-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm going to have to depend on Downlow to find out what happened at the game/games. Due to a graduation in the family, I won't be in the area tonight.:( But the Dogs will be on my mind and I will be rooting for them.

Bellville22
05-29-2004, 03:37 PM
First game in the 6th, Jasper was up 6-1, and seemed in control. I'll try to keep you posted throughout the afternoon.

kepdawg
05-29-2004, 04:13 PM
According to the UIL website, Jasper won game 2, 12-2. Go Bulldogs!

bearkatdad
05-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Jasper won the 1st game 12-2 in 6 innings...they lead in the 2nd game 13-6...top of the 4th inning..

Pudlugger
05-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Looks like the Cinderella story is coming to a close. Better get ready for the Leps Jasper.:)

JasperDog94
05-29-2004, 07:15 PM
I was at the first game. The Jasper hitters smacked the ball around pretty good. They finally had one big inning ang essentially put the game away. We had to go before the second game started.:(

Anybody got any updates?

kepdawg
05-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Jasper advances with a 17-7 win in game 3!

4-6, 12-2, 17-7

JasperDog94
05-29-2004, 07:18 PM
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

bearkatdad
05-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Looks like the Cinderella story is coming to a close. Better get ready for the Leps Jasper.:)
hey Pudlugger...what do you mean the 'Cinderella Story' is coming to an end?.. I assume you mean for LaGrange? :doh:

Pudlugger
05-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by bearkatdad
hey Pudlugger...what do you mean the 'Cinderella Story' is coming to an end?.. I assume you mean for LaGrange? :doh:

No, I meant Columbus as if you haven't been following their recent rise in the playoff ranks as a third place team in district and taking Jasper to three games. If you think I meant La Grange you really are out of touch with reality.:D

j_dog
05-29-2004, 09:03 PM
I saw both games. Columbus never quit, just kept changing pitchers. It just didn't do them any good as Jasper finally seemed to figure out the Columbus pitching. Two ten-run rule games in one day! Go Dogs. :) Boy, does Jasper ever face a challenge next week in La Grange! :thinking:

Pudlugger
05-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Looks like Jasper 's got some bats with two 10 rule games today. We may have a classic dual of pitchers v hitters coming up boys.

Gasilla
05-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Way to go Bulldogs!! Make SE Texas proud!!

j_dog
05-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Looks like Jasper 's got some bats with two 10 rule games today. We may have a classic dual of pitchers v hitters coming up boys.
I agree. Whatever the format, I am looking forward to some good baseball! :) Actually, if I counted correctly, these were the fourth and fifth ten-run rule games Jasper has won in the playoffs this year. But, good pitching can shut down good hitting! :(

BrahmaMom
05-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Congrats for battling so hard, Columbus! You represented our district well!

JasperDog94
05-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
...But, good pitching can shut down good hitting! :(
Yes it can!

Pudlugger
05-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Yes it can!

The beauty of it is the extent of the variables. It comes down to the sum of a multitude of factors, hitting and pitching being important, but not isolated from those other variables. Whatever the outcome, I look forward to some real great baseball, beyond the level most would expect from high school ballplayers. Good luck to both teams and here's to an injury free game with everyone playing to their ability.:)