PDA

View Full Version : Any Real Estate agents out there?

SintonFan
05-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Looking to solicit some advice, please...:)
Here's the scenario:
First we haven't signed with our agent who is showing us houses(is that bad, and why?) We've put a bid out with this agent.
Second, the agent we do have seems to be telling us to offer what the seller is asking(partly cuz my wife keeps telling her she wants this house real bad for sure and we haven't signed with her[our agent] either, I think), because the market in SA is currently real fast. Houses we are looking for are going to contract within a week or less for the most part.
Third, the house we are looking at sold for less than 22,500 than what what they are asking for five years years ago.:( Yes, I know it's a buyer's market but it's also looking like a seller's market too.:eek:)
This house is under 100,000.
Most houses are going for at or below asking price(one out of 10 went for slightly more.)
This area is not really the hottest now in my opinion. It takes you 15-25 minutes to just get out of the neighborhood in the morning. The neighborhood looks OK to me though.
Please if any of you all out there have any advice in these reguards, please respond(especially with the first and second part)...

Ranger Mom
05-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Doesn't Bandera YaYA work for a realtor??

SintonFan
05-25-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure...
If she responds to my quandry, that would be cool.

olddawggreen
05-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Looking to solicit some advice, please...:)
Here's the scenario:
First we haven't signed with our agent who is showing us houses(is that bad, and why?) We've put a bid out with this agent.
Second, the agent we do have seems to be telling us to offer what the seller is asking(partly cuz my wife keeps telling her she wants this house real bad for sure and we haven't signed with her[our agent] either, I think), because the market in SA is currently real fast. Houses we are looking for are going to contract within a week or less for the most part.
Third, the house we are looking at sold for less than 22,500 than what what they are asking for five years years ago.:( Yes, I know it's a buyer's market but it's also looking like a seller's market too.:eek:)
This house is under 100,000.
Most houses are going for at or below asking price(one out of 10 went for slightly more.)
This area is not really the hottest now in my opinion. It takes you 15-25 minutes to just get out of the neighborhood in the morning. The neighborhood looks OK to me though.
Please if any of you all out there have any advice in these reguards, please respond(especially with the first and second part)...

SintonFan, Im in the Oil & Gas business, but have had a Real Estate license for about 25 years and have been a Broker for about 20 years, so for what ever its worth;

You don't necessarly have to "sign" with any agent to buy a house, But, if an agent has been working with you for some time and appears to be working really hard for you and producing results, (ie, houses that are in the price range and areas that you are interested in) its just my opinion that you might want to give them a chance and show a little loyalty to them. Even if you happen to branch out a little on your own you can tell other agents that you are already working with an agent. As long as they are told that up front, it shouldnt be a problem. Now if you dont feel that your first agent is producing the results you want, find another one.
As far as offering full price, unless your in an extreemly hot market, personally I would never do it. I have seen some pretty high end propertys sell for full price or even higher than the asking price in really hot markets. But if your in an average market, I would bet that the seller has priced his property high enough where he can come off his price some. So if you want to, offer less than the asking price and the seller will counter if its not acceptable. And then you can counter back again if you want to. And on and on.... Keep your poker face on. This is all just my opinion and can be taken with a grain of salt.

Tell your wife what I tell mine, if its ment to be, it will be.:)

SintonFan
05-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Thanks olddawggreen!
I believe what you believe too(my wife still is coming around to that :D ). I was curious though about "if not signing" created a big 'conflict of interest'. This lady is cool, but hasn't asked us to sign with her...:confused:

SADAWG
05-26-2004, 12:44 AM
One of the great things I found with my real estate agent was that she took the time to find out my needs and wants in a house and neighborhood. After she showed me 4 or 5 houses, she had a pretty good understanding of what I was looking for, and didn’t waste my time or hers with houses that didn’t fit my needs. She was very knowledgeable about the market and which areas were appreciating in value and which areas were in decline. I realized real fast that I was very lucky to find an agent who was probably one of the hardest working agents in the city. Buying a house is a big commitment, and working with a good agent can make the transition so much easier. If you have one that is hard working, knows the market, and understands what you are looking for in a house, stick with them. I bought during a sellers market, usually not the best time, and I put offers on 3 houses before I finally got a contract. I was disappointed each time I was out bid on what I thought was the perfect house, but in the end, because of my agent’s hard work, I got a fantastic house in a great neighborhood for less than the asking price. I’ve already seen the value of the house appreciate rapidly over the past 5 years. Not much fun at property tax time :eek:, but very good if I decide to sell it :D.

CatWoman
05-26-2004, 08:56 AM
On the point of being urged to offer the asking price, there's a good chance your agent is the listing agent for the seller and will get the full commission on the sale. Unless your offer is just unreasonable, the agent should present it to the seller and let them accept or reject it.

JasperDog94
05-26-2004, 09:05 AM
That's what I was thinking Catwoman. Your agent should deliver the offer if that's what you want to do. All the seller can do is say yes or no. What's the harm in trying?

olddawggreen
05-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by CatWoman
On the point of being urged to offer the asking price, there's a good chance your agent is the listing agent for the seller and will get the full commission on the sale. Unless your offer is just unreasonable, the agent should present it to the seller and let them accept or reject it.

The agent is required by law to present all offers to the seller, they should also tell you if they are the listing agent on the property. You should know that all agents, unless they are designated "a buyer's agent" are more or less working for the seller. Thats who is paying their commission.:eek:

SintonFan
05-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all your responses.:)
Our agent is a buyer's agent. This is what happened. Our offer was countered $1000 dollars higher and they will pay $2000 of our closing cost. Not bad. We're going to try to go to contract on this. I'll let yall know what happens...

olddawggreen
05-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Good job SintonFan! Whens the house warming party?:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-26-2004, 09:14 PM
SintonFan, I have to say that I love your avatar. I grew up reading Calvin and Hobbes....they're awesome.

SintonFan
06-02-2004, 05:23 AM
I love Calvin and Hobbes, too. I've been changing avatars every week or so for some time so it's gone now. Sorry. Too bad they don't make those cartoons anymore...
olddawggreen, we just refused the house during our "option period" last night. Found out it had termite damage. It was supposed to be repaired but couldn't get any more seller disclosure on it. Bummer, but I am upbeat about it. Still looking...
We found a large townhouse(1541 sq. ft.) in a better area. Nice front yard. Met the neighbors who are real nice. Looks cool. One car garage, not good. Man, that price is just way too low...

j_dog
06-02-2004, 08:29 AM
SintonFan, please check your pm's.

olddawggreen
06-02-2004, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SintonFan
[B]I love Calvin and Hobbes, too. I've been changing avatars every week or so for some time so it's gone now. Sorry. Too bad they don't make those cartoons anymore...
olddawggreen, we just refused the house during our "option period" last night. Found out it had termite damage. It was supposed to be repaired but couldn't get any more seller disclosure on it. Bummer, but I am upbeat about it. Still looking...
We found a large townhouse(1541 sq. ft.) in a better area. Nice front yard. Met the neighbors who are real nice. Looks cool. One car garage, not good. Man, that price is just way too low... [/

SintonFan, I know its a pain, but just be patient and hang in there, you will find the one that is ment to be in time. Its when you start to rush that you get in trouble. The right one for you guys is out there. Its good that you had the disapline to turn down the one with problems. Good Luck!

SintonFan
06-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Today, we are under contract with the townhouse. It looks like the best deal. It is very "centrally" located with easy access to both I-10 and 1604 on the NW side.
If anyone is an investor, PM me and I'll let you know about a house close to there that is going about $20,000+ under value IMHO. It needs a little TLC but the area homes have a great resale value and the owners are very motivated.

Ranger Mom
06-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Congrats Mr. & Mrs. SF.

Do ya got me a link on this one?? Or is it the same one??

SintonFan
06-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Congrats Mr. & Mrs. SF.

Do ya got me a link on this one?? Or is it the same one??
I believe it's the same one. I'll email you the link.

SintonFan
07-19-2004, 05:57 PM
Update 7-19-04:
We will be closing on a 1604 sq. ft. house on Wednesday. We made a good bid on the place and it was accepted. We will also be receiving $1000 from the seller for closing cost. This is in addition to $1000 cash at closing from the seller(to repair a couple of windows and some trim). WooHoo!
We should be moving in Saturday.:)

Ranger Mom
07-19-2004, 06:15 PM
YAY!!!!:clap: :clap:

Congrats to Mr. and Mrs. SintonFan.....and the SintonKids!!

j_dog
07-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Congratulations on the house! :) :) :)

sinton66
07-19-2004, 09:03 PM
That's great news, buddy. You gonna need my trailer?