PDA

View Full Version : Newton's Defense??

BigT 75
09-29-2002, 10:54 PM
What makes them soooo good? Since everyone tells me they haven't been scored on yet, I'm wondering if they have played any good teams yet? So, is that why they're winning so much,their defense, or is their offense fair too? So who are the big players on the defense? What makes their defense so good?

Bobkat
09-29-2002, 11:24 PM
Newton is tremendously fast on defense and just flat out gets to the football. They also have one of the best defensive coordinators in the state. They pretty much just come right at you, shooting gaps and reaking havoc along the line of scrimmage. They make you work for everything you get, and they very seldom give up any big plays. They might not be scored on till they play Jasper later on in the season, they're that good. eek!

WpSr03
09-29-2002, 11:35 PM
I myself am wondering the quality of the teams they have played, offense-wise. Havn't payed Newton much attention yet, but now I am. could someone please post the teams they have played... And well no matter who you play, not being scored on yet DOES mean that you obviously have one hell of a defense... even bad teams score on good teams! (Even if it is just a FG!)

PPHSfan
09-29-2002, 11:55 PM
WpSr03:
I myself am wondering the quality of the teams they have played, offense-wise. Havn't payed Newton much attention yet, but now I am. could someone please post the teams they have played... And well no matter who you play, not being scored on yet DOES mean that you obviously have one hell of a defense... even bad teams score on good teams! (Even if it is just a FG!)Here you go:

Hempstead 40-0
Houston Alphonso 33-0
Bridge City 21-0 (Bridge City is no Doormat)
Nacogdoches 49-0

Not only have they not been scored on....they have 143 points of offense to boot.

spaniard
09-30-2002, 12:18 AM
that makes me stand back and notice how good they are, shutting out bridgport like that, and all the other teams too.

bigfanofthegame
09-30-2002, 12:59 AM
Spaniard, I think you misread the previous post Newton played Bridge City not Bridgeport.

exbccards76'smom
09-30-2002, 08:54 AM
Take it from me...very fast and very physical!!! They keep coming at you again and again. I was glad it wasn't 30 something to 0 like it was last year eek!

ej2525
09-30-2002, 11:05 AM
Newton is pretty stout this year. Bridge City is the best test for them this year and still no points on the board. Not sure about the other schools they have played but, BC is 3-1 and has put up 92 points in the other 3 games they have played.

3ABirdMan
09-30-2002, 10:42 PM
If Newton drops 1 pass, and Bridge City catches 2 "toasters", the score is 14-14. I'm not making excuses, but we had them burned TWICE and dropped the ball both times. They can be scored on, but not by an average team.

What makes their defense good is "reckless abandon". That is how every player reacts on every snap, and they will suffocate everything you do BEHIND the line of scrimmage.

The Newton Eagles ARE for real!

Birdman
10-01-2002, 01:07 AM
They are quick, quick, quick!!!! They screw up every scheme you throw at them at the snap of the ball. They are not huge, they've had better individual players in years past, but these guys are the epitome of TEAM. Their offense is good but not great.....but they only need one score to win !!!! :D

Newton Fan
10-01-2002, 09:02 PM
This Newton team is far from the biggest we have fielded (although we have never had a really big team) we do have some speed although none of our boys are likely to win the 100m at the state track meet.

What this group has is the desire to be at practice and practice hard, lift weights in the off season, listen to the coaches and then respond, play dummy defense (and offence) intensely to help make the other teammates better players... what it comes down to is heart.

It has to be heart when your starting guards weigh 170 & 150 lbs respectively. It’s heart when your starting offensive tackles haven’t played tackle before. It’s heart when your 1st team running backs are in their first year of being true starters.

The real test for Newton will be October 18th in Jasper against a team with size AND speed AND home field advantage – it will be a packed house.

Friday October 18th will be a large game for the boys from the little town of Newton where we have approximately 350 kids in our high school and only around 26 players TOTAL on our varsity going against Jasper’s HS enrollment of nearly 900 and 32 SENIORS alone on their team.

The "heads" on the Newton team are not "swollen" as some might think. These boys just play together and play hard…

Ranger Mom
10-01-2002, 10:01 PM
That is great......good for them. I have to admit I had never heard of Newton before I started posting on this board. I'm still not sure where Newton is at, (but I'm pretty sure it's no where near Greenwood!!). They have really impressed me. I'm excited about the Newton/Jasper game and all I know about either team is what I have learned here. That's why I like this site so much, I can now discuss 3-A football with the best of them, (and actually sound like I know something!! :D :D )

twinkle
10-01-2002, 10:03 PM
Very nicely said, and very true. Hats off to those 26 boys....

WpSr03
10-01-2002, 10:05 PM
Best of luck to Newton, the team with more heart is almost always the better team. It's nice to see extremely small schools rise up and take on the bigger enrollment schools. I'll be watching out for you guys in the future :)

twinkle
10-01-2002, 10:11 PM
It is very telling of the respect that players, and fans, of other teams who have played Newton show them...Bridge City has some pretty classy players and fans, because they jump in and let everyone know that Newton is a good team, not just a product of a poor pre-season schedule. Thank, BC!

Old Cardinal
10-03-2002, 03:30 PM
Newton should be rated the #1 team in 3A, at this time. Each year, Newton is simply awesome, at least, until past mid-year. They are a very small 3A enrollment and each year, they tend to weaken just a bit toward the end of district as players get hobbled. That lack of unlimited depth tends to have a little bit of play on there yearly quest for the State Championship. At this point in time; however, they have a slight edge on Sinton and Jasper, as I see it.