PDA

View Full Version : Chiggers

La Grange
05-24-2004, 07:59 PM
Chiggers have to be the most worthless animal, or whatever they are, in the entire world. If anyone has any reason for why god put these on earth PLEASE tell me.

kaorder1999
05-24-2004, 08:01 PM
i still have no idea what the heck they are...

mwynn05
05-24-2004, 08:21 PM
me either...but ive never gotten chiggers either

Sans Couth
05-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i still have no idea what the heck they are...
http://www.unc.edu/~aaronm/chigger.gif

3afan
05-24-2004, 08:40 PM
CHIGGERS (http://entowww.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/L-1223.html)

La Grange
05-24-2004, 08:41 PM
That picture really really dosen't make me feel any better :D .

slpybear the bullfan
05-24-2004, 09:47 PM
If you have never had the chiggers...

get out of the house and spend time out of doors....

WOW. I thought everyone has had chiggers at one time or another.

I have no good reasons why they are here.

But I do know that with enough Copenhagen in you they will absolutely leave you alone!

:D

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-24-2004, 09:59 PM
i think a sand fly or a camel spider are pretty comparative in the reason God put the vile little creatures on this great planet, must have been one of those days he felt like finding out what would happen if...

lepfan
05-24-2004, 10:01 PM
some call them red bugs...i have always known them as chiggers and they are almost as annoying as seed ticks...how many of you have had to take a bleach bath as as a kid to get the seed ticks to loosen up...then you take something like a credit card and scrape them off....I DO NOT miss those things...

I am sure chiggers are a food source for something

sahen
05-25-2004, 01:30 AM
one time i got a red bug stuck in a very unfortunate place...needless to say it was not fun to get out....and very painful

Cameronbystander
05-25-2004, 07:18 AM
When we were kids, Dad used to make us eat a sulphur tablet. He insisted that it kept the chiggers off.

Once after a major rain, I went fishing with a friend. Quite a bit of grassland had been flooded and we were in a small boat. I saw a tree stump sticking about three feet out of the water and it was a bright red. When I started getting closer to it the red began to move. The entire stump was one big chigger. Since they are so small you can imagine how many must have been on that stump. Needless to say, we didn't go very close to that stump.

CatWoman
05-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by sahen
one time i got a red bug stuck in a very unfortunate place...needless to say it was not fun to get out....and very painful

I was just about to say that if you've ever sat in the grass in the Spring or Summer and had them invade your bottom section, you will know what chiggers are. For those that don't, they are basically invisible to the naked eye and I believe they belong to the mite family of bugs and cause a bump that itches like crazy. I remember as a kid having dots of calamine lotion all over me that my mother stategically put on my dots!!

Stick
05-25-2004, 08:43 AM
If you will take an old sock and fill it with sulphur and pat it around your legs when you go in tall grass, weeds, etc. it keeps the chiggers away.

JasperDog94
05-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Stick
If you will take an old sock and fill it with sulphur and pat it around your legs when you go in tall grass, weeds, etc. it keeps the chiggers away. It will also repel any human within a half mile...especially women.:eek: :( ;)

Wildcat81
05-26-2004, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
It will also repel any human within a half mile...especially women.:eek: :( ;)
:D :D :D