3afan2K3
05-23-2004, 01:52 PM
No

mwynn05
05-23-2004, 01:53 PM
i agree no way

La Grange
05-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Does being on the chess team make you an athelete? I think not.

3afan2K3
05-23-2004, 01:56 PM
I agree, walking in formation does not make an athlete

mwynn05
05-23-2004, 02:04 PM
no, just being in the marching band does NOT make you an athlete

Old Tiger
05-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
Does being on the chess team make you an athelete? I think not. I don't know we got this kid in our school that can beat almost anyone that he plays in 4-5 moves. That kid is a sure athlete.

Now back to band, no it doesn't. Just look at marlin fan, the kid is lazy. :D j/k

kaorder1999
05-23-2004, 02:44 PM
of course not....but...i guess if the person plays a sport and is also in the band then they COULD be considered an athlete

Ranger Mom
05-23-2004, 04:09 PM
I voted no since I don't consider band an athletic sport...like the poster above said, you can be an athlete that plays band!

marlin fan
05-23-2004, 04:12 PM
lol old tiger ur gonna get enough of crackin jokes at me... but back to the question I'm in band and i was an athlete up untill a few years ago till i injured my knee... to answer the question no being in band does not make u an athlete.

Sans Couth
05-23-2004, 05:09 PM
I wonder if Nike has developed a 'cross trainer' shoe for band kids that play football?

marlin fan
05-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Sans Couth
I wonder if Nike has developed a 'cross trainer' shoe for band kids that play football?
uhm no i dont think so and i think that would be kinda crazy to do because the football players wouldnt be in their football shoes at marching contest...

3afan2K3
05-23-2004, 06:08 PM
I think he was jokeing

Old Tiger
05-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by marlin fan
uhm no i dont think so and i think that would be kinda crazy to do because the football players wouldnt be in their football shoes at marching contest... lol, he's all serisous about it...lmao

marlin fan
05-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by 3afan2K3
I think he was jokeing yeah i think so and i think that is impossible to do

marlin fan
05-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 3afan2K3
I agree, walking in formation does not make an athlete just so u know marching and walking are two diffrent things LOL Old Tiger here is something else for u to joke about

Old Tiger
05-23-2004, 06:19 PM
nah, this is too easy :D

3afan
05-23-2004, 06:23 PM
it takes musical talent, but NO, it does not make you an athlete IMO

20dawgz05
05-23-2004, 06:42 PM
band doesent make u an athlete... but marching season does make ur legs pretty buff haha!!! it really does!!!

La Grange
05-23-2004, 06:49 PM
In La Grange a kid can recieve his athletic credit with 3 fall semesters in the marching band. I have no problem with this because some kids would rather play football on Friday nights and some would rather play the trumpet or flute. Some people are just built and raised for different things in my opinion.

marlin fan
05-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
In La Grange a kid can recieve his athletic credit with 3 fall semesters in the marching band. I have no problem with this because some kids would rather play football on Friday nights and some would rather play the trumpet or flute. Some people are just built and raised for different things in my opinion. yeah thats the same with every school u can atletic credit for band hehe its good for poeple like me!!!!

Sans Couth
05-23-2004, 07:12 PM
If you are asking if students that March in the Band should be exempt from PE then I would say yes. But being exempt from PE and being an athlete are two different questions.

marlin fan
05-23-2004, 07:22 PM
he's askin if being in band makes u an athlete... and no it doesnt... they mayhave thought that because u get athlete credits for band...

3afan2K3
05-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Who voted yes??

kaorder1999
05-23-2004, 09:10 PM
prolly jason

jason
05-23-2004, 09:11 PM
nope wasnt me

PhiI C
05-23-2004, 09:24 PM
I would vote no too but they have to to work hard and have good strenth and endurance to warch and carry a play those instruments but only athletics are in sports in my opinion and the band and even cheerleading does not qualify. I admit cheerleading involves a lot of work and some of them are great acrobats and do a great job but I don't think cheerleading qualifies as a sport. I don't mind athletes playing sports and cheerlead but I always hate to see a good athlete in a sport give up the sport to cheerlead. It does happen.

aamove
05-23-2004, 10:39 PM
No playing in Band is not a sport. I have seen some bands that are very athletic in their routines, but that doesn't make them atheletes.

JasperDog94
05-23-2004, 11:11 PM
5 people have voted yes. I wonder if that's just to be different or if people really believe that. If you do, please tell us why. I'd be curious as to why you feel that way. Not that I'm right and you're wrong. Heck, I was in band in HS and even majored in Music Education in college, but I don't think that being in band makes you an athlete. It can certainly boost your stamina and coordination though.

kaorder1999
05-23-2004, 11:14 PM
ath·lete n.

A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

JasperDog94
05-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
ath·lete n.

A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.
Going by that definition:

strength: yes
agility: yes
endurance: yes
physical exercise: yes
sports: no
competitive: yes

Looks like 5 out of 6. Can I change my vote?:nerd:

spaniard
05-23-2004, 11:19 PM
i think that the closest a person in a band can come to being an athlete while performing would be a member of one of the drum and bugle corps. i have seen some incredible stuff from those guys, but they are also the elitists, that have up to 3-a-days during the summer to prepare for their performances and competitions. but in all honesty, i think that being in band doesnt make you an athlete by any means.

SintonFan
05-23-2004, 11:41 PM
I loved band, but it does not make you an athlete(although it was hot out there in August). I tried out for cross-country though. I would have made the team if I didn't watch too much TV and play video games...:D
Seriously though, many of us were in great shape because some of us ran 6-miles striaght(like I did) every day. My friend had just graduated from AIT in the Army and if I sat down, the phone rang, "Is SintonFan there? I want to run." Thank goodness he did cuz I stayed in shape for years....
I had great experiences in band but my parents would never let me play sports. :mad: I don't hold it against them because they believed what they did and it's just they didn't know any better.
I'll encourage my children to be in band because it does help oneself to express themselves among other things. I will not discourage any of them to be in sports though.

JasperDog94
05-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by spaniard
i have seen some incredible stuff from those guys, but they are also the elitists, that have up to 3-a-days during the summer to prepare for their performances and competitions. but in all honesty, i think that being in band doesnt make you an athlete by any means.

Let's turn this around for a sec. What about the guy/gal that rides the bench all year in any sport. Does that make him/her an athlete just because he/she was on the team?

Sans Couth
05-24-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Let's turn this around for a sec. What about the guy/gal that rides the bench all year in any sport. Does that make him/her an athlete just because he/she was on the team?

The last time I looked, you didn't 'make the team' if you couldn't make it through practice. And any Texas team worth it's salt practices twice as hard as they play. So I would say, of course the bench riders are athletes. There is a lot to be said about a kid that will bust his butt in practice and play on the scout team only to watch the product of his hard work from the sidelines.

vet93
05-24-2004, 09:44 AM
No....not anymore than saying a football player is a musician.

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-24-2004, 01:26 PM
The last time I looked, you didn't 'make the team' if you couldn't make it through practice. And any Texas team worth it's salt practices twice as hard as they play. So I would say, of course the bench riders are athletes. There is a lot to be said about a kid that will bust his butt in practice and play on the scout team only to watch the product of his hard work from the sidelines.

been there, done that, but i was also all-state powerlifting my junior and senior yrs...