PDA

View Full Version : Columbus vs. Hamshire Fannett

Brahma73
05-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Wow, this message got on before I got home from the game. Thanks to either my son or daughter for loading it on.

Cardiac Cards strike again. After falling behind 4-2, Columbus ran itself out of a 2nd & 3rd, no out situation to get no runs in one inning, then in another inning, bases loaded and no outs and no runs scored. But just when you're about to give up on them, the #9 hitter gets on in the top of the 7th via a perfect bunt and lead-off man Sciba jacks a no-doubter to deep left to tie it up. The Cards then scored one more on a close play at the plate to go ahead.
In the bottom of the seventh, HF got a 1-out single, a balk to 2nd, then another out. An intentional walk to the #4 hitter who absolutely crushed the ball today, put runners at the corners with 2 out. Reliever Koehl then grooved a pitch to the #5 hitter who positively ripped a line drive to the left of the 3rd baseman. I'm not sure if it was luck or great reflexes (or both), but he snared the shot to end the game. The ball was headed for the corner if not caught and could have easily scored both runners for a HF win. But it was not to be and the Cards are in the sweet 16. Who'd have thunk it?
Sciba had the highlight and lowlight of the game. Highlight was, of course, the homer; lowlight was a pretty classless "shhhh" motion he made to the Hamshire Fannett crowd as he headed home. Gotta rise above that kinda stuff, guys. Win with dignity.

BrahmaMom
05-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Way to go, Cards! Keep it up!

setex
05-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Great game today for both teams. Remarkable both came in 3rd place in district, but both played like Champions.

No offense taken on the "shhhh", the young man just got a little too excited.