PDA

View Full Version : Barbers Hill vs. LaGrange

RBARKER
05-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Haven't heard much talk about this game being it is the #6 vs the #1 team in the state. Game 1 starts tonight at Langham Creek 7:00 p.m. Homer Baily should be on the mound for Lagrange while BH puts their ace on the mound Bazan. both of these pitchers are undefeated something has to give tonight. BH has a tough seris ahead of them and hopefully will do well but LaGrange is on track and will be hard to beat. Goodluck to both teams hope to see a good seris.

Pudlugger
05-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Wow, this will be a game worth watching for sure. Homer will have to bring his A game tonight. Good luck to the Leps and may both teams have an injury free and good game.:)

RBARKER
05-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Both of these teams gave us a great seris last year. I think all games were decided by one run. LaGrange won the first one then BH came back and won two in a row, I believe all three games had the same score of 5-4. Of course that was then and this is now. I feal that Lagrange has the most talent but BH plays with a lot of heart. Has Homer signed with a college yet? What is his fast ball clocked at? I heard mid 90's:eek:

Bellville22
05-20-2004, 02:22 PM
RBARKER- I'll be attending this game tonight. I'll have a red Abercrombie shirt and a Boston Red Sox hat on if you'd like to introduce yourself. I have ties in LG so I'll most likely be sitting on that side. I'd love to meet you, or any other BH poster for that matter.

Should be a terrific game and a great series. With Bailey on the mound, I think only LG can beat LG. If they don't make errors or mental mistakes, it's hard to bet against them. However a good team like BH can matchup against their #2 and 3. My advice would be to pitch Bazan in Game 2, and have the edge, then get ready for a competitive 3rd game, but most coaches have a hard time not riding their ace the first game.

I don't look for alot of runs in this series. I'll take LG in 3 games, with Bailey winning tonight and saving it Saturday.

Best of luck to both teams.

Bellville22
05-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by RBARKER
Has Homer signed with a college yet? What is his fast ball clocked at? I heard mid 90's:eek:

He has signed with Texas, but won't ever throw a pitch for them. He'll be a Top 5 pick in this year's MLB Draft, could go as high as #2 behind Cal's Jared Weaver. Gonna make alot of money in not alot of time, I wish him health and the best of luck.

I've witnessed him clocked at 96mph, but I've heard as high as 98. But it's his command and curveball (which Baseball America rated as the #2 or 3 curveball in the nation) that make him really special, and the kind of pitcher that can do amazing things in the future.

RBARKER
05-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
RBARKER- I'll be attending this game tonight. I'll have a red Abercrombie shirt and a Boston Red Sox hat on if you'd like to introduce yourself. I have ties in LG so I'll most likely be sitting on that side. I'd love to meet you, or any other BH poster for that matter.

Should be a terrific game and a great series. With Bailey on the mound, I think only LG can beat LG. If they don't make errors or mental mistakes, it's hard to bet against them. However a good team like BH can matchup against their #2 and 3. My advice would be to pitch Bazan in Game 2, and have the edge, then get ready for a competitive 3rd game, but most coaches have a hard time not riding their ace the first game.

I don't look for alot of runs in this series. I'll take LG in 3 games, with Bailey winning tonight and saving it Saturday.

Best of luck to both teams.

Bellville22-Thanks for the invite, It would be a pleasure meeting you also. Unfortunatly I 'm out of town on business this week so I will be cheering for my Eagles from afar. I saw Homer last year and he is quit a talent I had know idea he was going to try out for the MLB, thats great best of luck to him. Your right about pitching Bazan for game #2 that probaly would be better. The coaches may decide to do that, we will see. Thanks for the Info. If you don't mind post the results on this thread tonight I would love to hear what happens.

Bull's-eye
05-20-2004, 02:46 PM
I plan on attending this game. Should be some great baseball! Good luck to both teams.

Bellville22
05-20-2004, 02:50 PM
See you there 'Bulls-Eye'. How bout Red Mustache, is he making the trip? I've spoken to quite a few Bellville fans who will be there tonight, may have more Bellville folks than LG, guess we're all having problems accepting the end of our season, oh well, not every day you get to see a Top 5 MLB prospect, should be fun.

Bull's-eye
05-20-2004, 05:01 PM
No, "Red Mustache" has other plans. This will be a short drive for me, only about 15 miles. LG has a great team, great fans and great tradition. Seeing Homer pitch again, will be a real treat! If BH pitches Bazan, we could see a great pitcher's dual. See ya there!

La Grange
05-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Does anyone know the score, inning, or any information on this game.

I tried all of the usual radio stations, but I could not find one with the game on it.

lepfan
05-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
Does anyone know the score, inning, or any information on this game.

I tried all of the usual radio stations, but I could not find one with the game on it.

92.3 had it on... the score was like 11-4...LG

BH got a HR the first inning

Homer did not pitch the whole game....Hrbacek pitched some

RBARKER
05-20-2004, 09:58 PM
OUCH! If that is a good score and Lagrange beat them that bad without Homer I would say BH is in Trouble:mad

Do you know if BH pitched Bazan? if so Bazan hasn't given up that many runs in his carear

lepfan
05-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Homer pitched the first 3 innings...Hrbacek pitched the next 2...

Bull's-eye
05-20-2004, 11:36 PM
LaGrange opened with 8 runs in the first inning off #5 Glandt and #20 Carmona. Barbers Hill's first batter #24 Padgett took Homer Bailey deep over the left field fence. Padgett's next at bat was almost a repeat of his first. LaGrange's left fielder #1 Kozelsky reached high over the fence to make a spectacular catch. Kozelsky kept the crowd wondering by not holding up the ball until Padgett was well on his way to third. LG scored 2 more runs in top of the 5th to make the score 10-1. Bailey was removed after pitching 4 innings, allowing 1 run on 2 hits and striking out 9 batters. BH scored 2 runs in the fifth and 1 more in the 6th. Final score was 11-4.

Bazan did not pitch at all, BH decided to save their ace for game 2. LaGrange in complete control of the game, decided to remove Bailey after 4 innings. This may allow him to come back and pitch again.

Hupernikomen
05-20-2004, 11:52 PM
no doubt if barber's hill wins the next one. homer will either start the 3rd game or come in around the 3rd or 4th depending on the game situation. I look for Barber's Hill to be strong in game two with Bazan throwing. I understand his velocity is down a bit this year. Is that true?

RBARKER
05-21-2004, 07:46 AM
Write up from th BH sports report for those that wern't there.

La Grange scored eight runs in the top of the first inning as the Leoparsd beat Barbers Hill, 11-4, at Langham Creek High School thiursday night in the first game of a best-of-three Class 3A regional playoff baseball game.

Game 2 is scheduled for 7 p.m. today, also at Langham Creek.

The Leopards, now 27-1 on the season, scored the eight runs on nine hits, including a two-run home run by Chase Anderle.

Sophomore Bailey Glandt was the victim of La Grange’s wrath, giving up all eight runs before turning things over to another sohpomore, Octavio Carmona, who did a credible job in holding La Grange scoreless in his part of the first, second, third and fourth innings. He did give up two runs in the fifth and one more in the sixth.

Freshman Derek Hulsey pitched a scoreless seventh for the Eagles.

Homer Bailey, who has signed to play at the University of Texas and is considered in some circles as the top pitching prospect in the nation going into this summer’s major league draft, was the winning pitcher, giving up one run and two hits while striking out nine.

But he is likely not to forget Michael Padgett.

Padgett, a sophomore, hit a leadoff home run in the first inning and had a likely homer stolen from him in the third when Jacob Kozelsky made an at-the-fence catch, then showboated a bit, holding the ball as Padgett rounded second.

He ran off the field laughing. Kozelsky will be La Grange’s starting pitcher in the second game of the series.

Down 10-1, the Eagles scored twice in the fifth. Nathan Gaines and Chase Barrera singled and scored on Jose Carmona’s double to right center. He was thrown out trying to stretch it to a triple.

Barbers Hill, now 23-5, and co-champions in District 22 3A, finished its scoring in the sixth. Aaron Bazan, the ace of the Eagles’ pitching staff who will face La Grange in Game 2, singled and scored on Bryan Penn’s triple.

“We wanted to win but realistically we wanted Homer to throw as many pitches as possible,” Barbers Hill Coach Gil Stalbaum said after the game. “He threw 65 pitches so we’ll see him, I’m sure, if we go to a third game.”

On not pitching Bazan in the opener, Stalbaum did admit he had second thoughts in the first inning.

“But we’re going to try to win the second game and then outscore them in the third game,” Stalbaum said.

RBARKER
05-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Game two tonight Bh gambled abit in game one and will pitch their ace Bazan tonight. I look for a much closer and low scoring game tonight. If BH wins it will set up a game three where BH would have to bring their A+++ game. Good luck Eagles

Bull's-eye
05-21-2004, 12:16 PM
RBARKER, BH did gamble on not pitching Bazan. I was thinking this was the right decision, but if Bazan could of blanked LG, they would be up 1-0 and Bailey probably done pitching. LG turned the table by scoring 8 runs in the first. I wondered if Bailey was still going out to pitch? Leading 10-1 after 4 innings, Bailey was pulled and probably will be able to pitch some more innings.

Bellville22
05-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Homer didn't have his best stuff last night. Noth taking anything away from the Soph. leadoff hitter, who absolutely jumped on 2 fastballs. But I just didn't see the command of his pitches like I've seen before, and he was consistantly at 91-92, which believe it or not is actually low.

As Bulle-Eye said, the game was enever in doubt, BH was smart to save Bazan, that giveds them a good chance in Game 2.

Zoch should go for LG tonight, and he's very good as well. Wasn't overly impressed with BH's defense, and that could cause problems. They do swing the bat though.

I think LG closes it out tonight. LG 5, BH 2

Bull's-eye
05-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Hey Bellville22, what was your view on Kozelsky's catch? I don't really think he was showboating. He sure kept the fans in a little suspense!