PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Football Camp

kepdawg
05-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Has Jasper been doing anything like this in the past?

There will be a Jasper Football Camp on June 14 through the 18, Monday through Friday. It will start at 9 a.m. and run until 12 p.m. during these days. The camp is recommended for boys ages 8 through 12 and sign up is $25.00 per person. Walk-up registration will be accepted on Monday morning, June 14, but you may pre-register by mailing a check to Coach Danny Lauve at 400 Bulldog Ave. in Jasper. Make all checks out to “Jasper Athletics”.

Each participant will receive a t-shirt, camp photo, and certificate. The camp will meet in the shell-gym behind the Jasper High School. For more information please call the Jasper Football Office at 409-382-1360.

Sans Couth
05-19-2004, 03:17 PM
I thought all schools had summer camps for the yoots.:D

kepdawg
05-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Maybe so, but I certainly don't recall there being any such camp when I grew up in Jasper. I'm pretty sure I would have known about it!

olddawggreen
05-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Burnet has football, basketball camps every summer. Its a great way to keep the kids busy and get them some good training. Kep. we didn't have anything like this when I was growing up either.

Bulldog92
05-19-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Has Jasper been doing anything like this in the past?

There will be a Jasper Football Camp on June 14 through the 18, Monday through Friday. It will start at 9 a.m. and run until 12 p.m. during these days. The camp is recommended for boys ages 8 through 12 and sign up is $25.00 per person. Walk-up registration will be accepted on Monday morning, June 14, but you may pre-register by mailing a check to Coach Danny Lauve at 400 Bulldog Ave. in Jasper. Make all checks out to “Jasper Athletics”.

Each participant will receive a t-shirt, camp photo, and certificate. The camp will meet in the shell-gym behind the Jasper High School. For more information please call the Jasper Football Office at 409-382-1360.
They certainly weren't doing it back when I was there and this is the first I've ever heard of them doing anything like that. The kids there are constantly playing football anyway and it'll be good for them to get some organized instruction before they start playing in junior high. I think it will increase participation at every level of Jasper football down the road and make an already deep talent pool even deeper for years to come....

CRHSeagle
05-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Im use to going to camps at school during the summer for free. This being my first year at Castleberry, we have to pay a $75 dollar fee. I wonder why its so high, any ideas?

Bulldog92
05-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by CRHSeagle
Im use to going to camps at school during the summer for free. This being my first year at Castleberry, we have to pay a $75 dollar fee. I wonder why its so high, any ideas?
I think they're trying to cover the costs (t-shirts, other giveaways) and pad the athletic department's budget. With the economy as bad as it is, they have less money to spend and have to make money any way they can so that they can run programs the way they need to.

spiveyrat
05-20-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog92
They certainly weren't doing it back when I was there and this is the first I've ever heard of them doing anything like that. The kids there are constantly playing football anyway and it'll be good for them to get some organized instruction before they start playing in junior high. I think it will increase participation at every level of Jasper football down the road and make an already deep talent pool even deeper for years to come....

I agree!

pinecone
05-20-2004, 10:08 AM
We never had football camps or even a youth football league, touch football or tackle for the younger kids. The emphasis was on 7th grade football where we had about 4 teams that played something like intramural football. We always had great football talent. A lot of sandlot football was played, but I give a lot of credit to the coaches of the junior high players for seeing that a lot of kids got to play. It's a little different now because so many of the teams we play do not have two eighth grade teams. Remember the 8th grade A and B games? A lot of them do not have freshman teams. Late in the season, they don't even have a JV! I hope the football camps help.

olddawggreen
05-20-2004, 10:39 AM
These early football camps and youth leages really pay off by the time these kids get to the 7th grade. I witnessed first hand the difference between a town that has the programs and one that doesnt this last year when my sons 7th grade team played a team where their first real experience for their kids was to show up in 7th grade and suit up. Our guys had been playing on flag or Pee Wee teams since they were in the 3rd grade. The other team was basicly still trying to figure out which pads went where.
The difference was unbelievable.