PDA

View Full Version : May 19th Gas Strike

Burnet Dawg06
05-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has got this email...

Subject: Don't buy gas May 19th

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT
PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE
OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF
OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL
COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY
AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE
THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY
PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT
GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICE S
THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT
THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING
COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON
EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING
MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY,
WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU
KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF
THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

kaorder1999
im all about this....

kaorder1999
im going to need to buy gas tonight then .....hehe

Sans Couth
05-18-2004, 09:18 PM
"sticking it to the oil companies" is not the answer folks.

a one day boycott will have no effect on the price of gasoline. if anything it will raise it. if you damage the supply, but don't damage the demand, it will only raise the price. it is simple economics. if you don't buy gas on a particualr day of the week, you are still going to buy the same amount of gas FOR the week. damaging the supplier will not lower the price of gasoline. i can't believe that folks would fall for this.

if you really want to lower the price of gasoline, by a motorcycle.

jason
05-18-2004, 09:41 PM
or a moped...

spiveyrat
05-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Sans Couth

a one day boycott will have no effect on the price of gasoline. if anything it will raise it. if you damage the supply, but don't damage the demand, it will only raise the price. it is simple economics. if you don't buy gas on a particualr day of the week, you are still going to buy the same amount of gas FOR the week. damaging the supplier will not lower the price of gasoline. i can't believe that folks would fall for this.

I don't need any and won't be buying any today. But, he's right. The suppliers are the middle-men here and the lack of supply on the market is what is driving the price higher.

AggieJohn
05-19-2004, 07:47 AM
i WILL be buying gas today...liberals

Masseter
05-19-2004, 08:02 AM
I agree with Sans Couth. Even if NOBODY buys gas today, that means almost EVERYBODY will buy gas tomorrow. I think it will all even out in the wash.

CHS_Grad '85
05-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Well as someone who works out of town... I have no choice but to buy that tank of gas... especially now - having to drive an additional 17 miles because the main road I use is still closed because of flood damage... I know - I shouldn't complain because I was fortunate that I had no damage to my home (unlike some of my neighbors)... so I guess I'll still be buying that tank of gas today - boycott or no...

JasperDog94
05-19-2004, 09:06 AM

That's right. Demand is still the same. It doesn't matter when you buy it.

spiveyrat
05-19-2004, 09:32 AM
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/nogas.asp

spiveyrat
05-19-2004, 09:33 AM
Does 1500 posts make me "All State"???

CHS_Grad '85
05-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Does 1500 posts make me "All State"??? yes... Congratulations!!!!

CHS_Grad '85
05-19-2004, 09:38 AM
By the spiveyrat... thanks for posting that snopes article... I thought the boycott was a hoax but you never know...

Sans Couth
05-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
By the spiveyrat... thanks for posting that snopes article... I thought the boycott was a hoax but you never know...

I see, you don't trust ME to tell you it wont work. But you will trust another website?:D

spiveyrat
05-19-2004, 09:47 AM
Yep, it did make me All State! :D

I don't think the boycott is a hoax. It just won't work.

Here's some more food for thought. If Clinton had not vetoed the exploration of the Artic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska in 1995, word is we would be getting about a million barrels a day from there now.

CHS_Grad '85
05-19-2004, 09:49 AM
I see, you don't trust ME to tell you it wont work. But you will trust another website?:D
You're the reason I started thinking it was a hoax...:D

JasperDog94
05-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Yep, it did make me All State! :D

I don't think the boycott is a hoax. It just won't work.

Here's some more food for thought. If Clinton had not vetoed the exploration of the Artic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska in 1995, word is we would be getting about a million barrels a day from there now.
Way to go!:clap: :clap: :clap: Before you know it, you'll be an All-American!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

Sintonfbplayer04
05-19-2004, 03:29 PM
I had to buy gas today anyway. 15 gallons for $25...frickin crazy

CHS_Grad '85
05-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Sintonfbplayer04
I had to buy gas today anyway. 15 gallons for $25...frickin crazy Mine was 20.32 gals for $39... man, that trip to South Carolina this year is going to hurt....

olddawggreen
05-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Besides that..... I'm one of those evil persons that makes a living and supports my family with money that I make from the petroleum industry, (Landman) and guess what? My family and I pay the same high prices for gas as everyone else. And guess what again, I don't make a dime a day more a day than I did when gas was $1.50 per gallon.

As its been said before, a one day boycot on buying gas wouldnt make a ripple in the industry after everyone went and filled up the next day. As much as I hate these high prices, we still pay some of the lowest prices for gas in the world. If you really want to drop the price of gas real quick, get the politicians to do away with all the taxes that are added per gallon at the pump. That would give us a pretty good drop in price, except...... they would have to make it up somewhere else. In the meantime, we just have to suck it up until the market swings in the other direction.

Sans Couth
05-19-2004, 04:52 PM
In the summer of 1979 we used to sit in long lines to buy a minimum of 6 gallons of gasoline on an odd or even day, depending on our licence plates. Gasoline was around 85 cents a gallon. The minimum wage at the time was a little over 2 bucks and hour, and a good highschool football coach was lucky to make 300 bucks a week.

25 years later, you can get gas without even having to go inside the store, you can get in and out if a matter of minutes. The minimum wage is around 6 bucks an hour. A good highschool football coach makes close to six figures a year, and the gasoline is just a little over double the price it was 25 years ago.

25 years ago you could buy a nice brick home for 30 grand. The same home today will cost you 125K. I don't things are all that bad.

Sans Couth
05-19-2004, 04:54 PM
And let's not forget, that a new pickup today gets 25 miles per gallon. A new pickup in 1979 got about 11 miles to the gallon.

mwynn05
05-19-2004, 04:55 PM
well it's not too bad when you tink of it that wasy Sans

turbostud
05-19-2004, 04:55 PM
this past weekend it cost me 85 bucks to fill up my f150 and expedition.

Sans Couth
05-19-2004, 04:58 PM
In 1979 you could drive about 1100 miles on 85 dollars worth of gasoline.

Today in 2004 you can drive about 1000 miles on 85 dollars worth of gasoline. And the cars are a heck of a lot nicer to boot.

JasperDog94
05-19-2004, 05:57 PM
And let's not forget, that a new pickup today gets 25 miles per gallon. A new pickup in 1979 got about 11 miles to the gallon. The only way most trucks could get that kind of gas milage is if they were going downhill in neutral.:D

Sans Couth
05-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
The only way most trucks could get that kind of gas milage is if they were going downhill in neutral.:D

I am comparing apples to apples. In 1979 a new F150 pickup got about 11 miles a gallon. Today, a new F150 will get about 25 mpg doing the same type of driving that the 1979 truck did. When you do the math, and factor in everything. Gas is cheaper today than it was 25 years ago.

Ray_BearKat
05-19-2004, 06:22 PM
down here in the Harlingen area people were standing outside of gas stations with signs saying, "DO NOT BUY GAS TODAY".

Sans Couth
05-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
down here in the Harlingen area people were standing outside of gas stations with signs saying, "DO NOT BUY GAS TODAY".

What a bunch of silly naive folks.

BrahmaMom
05-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Sans Couth, thanks for the memories. I remember those gas lines well! As a matter of fact, coming from a long line of MOMS, my Mom was the one who would wait in line with my car to fill it up! I was far too busy and important as a college kid to do such boring things! We have come a long way. And yeah, if Clinton had let us drill, we'd be fine now. Let's all remember that come election time!

Ray_BearKat
05-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by BrahmaMom
Sans Couth, thanks for the memories. I remember those gas lines well! As a matter of fact, coming from a long line of MOMS, my Mom was the one who would wait in line with my car to fill it up! I was far too busy and important as a college kid to do such boring things! We have come a long way. And yeah, if Clinton had let us drill, we'd be fine now. Let's all remember that come election time!

I'll remember not to vote for Clinton.

sahen
05-19-2004, 08:40 PM
if i boycott that would be like me saying i dont like food since that gas helps pay for what i eat....i think boycotting the oil companies is crazy, they would love to get crude oil for less per barrel than what they do now...just like we would like to get gas for less per gallon...

JasperDog94
05-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by sahen
if i boycott that would be like me saying i dont like food since that gas helps pay for what i eat....i think boycotting the oil companies is crazy, they would love to get crude oil for less per barrel than what they do now...just like we would like to get gas for less per gallon...
The problem comes in when you see how much more money the oil companies are making when the price of oil goes up. It should remain constant, but they take advantage of high prices and make even more money. That's what ticks me off!:mad: :mad:

sahen
05-19-2004, 08:52 PM
thats true but remember....they have to spend more money on oil when the prices go up therefore they r making more but also spending more to buy the oil....im not saying the oil companies r perfect though.....they do many things that i question but they do in essence feed me so i cant complain too much about them....if america wants to boycott someone why not wal mart? i mean they do put small town buisnesses out like crazy and this being a 3a site im sure we have all seen this....

slpybear the bullfan
05-19-2004, 09:02 PM
And let's not forget, that a new pickup today gets 25 miles per gallon. A new pickup in 1979 got about 11 miles to the gallon.

The ol' Slpybear traded in his 2002 Z71 Extended Cab for a 2004 Crew Cab... Both with the 5.3... and his mileage went from 16~17 to

22mpg!!!

Highway driving and it has all the power in the world. (And XM Radio... tooo coooolll!!!)

Sorry, just had to jump in on that!!!

Old Cardinal
05-19-2004, 10:35 PM
It is kind of ironic to this Old Coot that the same folks that stopped every effort of expansion on USA refining capacity and Alaskan wilderness development are now crybabying when their efforts have caused gasoline prices to go up! Bleeding-heart liberals and environmental fanatics are the first ones to attack the government when the environmental policies they(liberals) have promoted have caused the shortage of American-made fuels. We can make coal safer; we can make prestine tundra safe for wildlife where enormous oilfield extraction capablitites lay; we can expand our production and refining capacity nationwide and we can extract great quanities of fuel off the California coast in a safe manner....It appears to me that the same people(liberals) that are howling the most are the very problem people that have percipitated the idiotic bans and policies that have slowed down the expansion of technically competent Energy Policy. I hate to see prices climb along the coast of Texas and Louisiana but it really does not bother me to watch Californians pay more when they have refused to allow drilling in an enormous oil reserve all along the Pacific Coast. Liberal drilling bans have caused the present price climb yet they are the first to cry "it"s because of the big USA Oil Companies" when in fact it was their bans that kept the expansion of refining efforts from progressing at a safe ratio to USA fuel consumption.

spiveyrat
05-20-2004, 06:49 AM
I am comparing apples to apples. In 1979 a new F150 pickup got about 11 miles a gallon. Today, a new F150 will get about 25 mpg doing the same type of driving that the 1979 truck did. When you do the math, and factor in everything. Gas is cheaper today than it was 25 years ago.

You will NOT get 25mpg in a new F-150. The mpg listed for the truck with the smaller 4.6l engine is 15/19.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/ford/f150/100313032/researchlanding.html?tid=edmunds.n.prices.subnavhe ader..2.Ford*

spiveyrat
05-20-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
this past weekend it cost me 85 bucks to fill up my f150 and expedition.

Interesting, you and I have the same vehicles in our driveways.

I just noticed this morining that gas went up 13 cents overnight to a whopping $2.09!!! UHG!!!:eek: :weeping: :foul: :flamingma :tongue:

Sans Couth
05-20-2004, 07:35 AM
I am not going to argue with you. If you don't believe that vehicles of today are twice as efficient than their 25 year old counterparts that is ok by me. Regardless if in the case of the F150 it is 11 in 79 vs 25 in 04, or 8 in 79 vs 16 in 04, my argument remains the same. Factor in inflation and the difference in wages and the cost of traveling down the road is much less today with gas at 2 bucks than in was in 1979 with gas at 85 cents a gallon. Regardless of how good it makes us feel to complain about the 'high' price of gasoline, it is not near as high as it should be when compared to other products that we use every day. In 1979 you could feed a family of five very well for less than a hundred bucks a week. Now it cost over 300 bucks for the same groceries. In 1979 if I got to feeling sick and went to see the Doctor, it cost about 50 bucks for an office visit, a couple of tests, AND a bottle of medicine. Today it costs $125 just to get your foot in the door. But at least if you have to travel 40 miles to town to see the doctor you can do so in air conditioned comfort, in a vehicle that gets twice the fuel milage it did in 1979, even if it did cost you 30 grand, for the same vehicle that you could have bought new in 1979 for less than 10.

spiveyrat
05-20-2004, 08:59 AM
I won't argue that today's auto's get better mileage than those of 25 yrs ago. I was simply saying that F150's do not get 25 mpg, nor does any other full size pickup for that matter. You'd probably be hard pressed to find any small pickups that approached that mileage either.

kaorder1999
05-20-2004, 12:44 PM
I won't argue that today's auto's get better mileage than those of 25 yrs ago. I was simply saying that F150's do not get 25 mpg, nor does any other full size pickup for that matter. You'd probably be hard pressed to find any small pickups that approached that mileage either.

i agree...a f150 will not get 25 mpg.

olddawggreen
05-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Well, its May 20th, and I guess the May 19th gas strike has come and gone, all those people who didnt buy gas yesterday are probably lining up to buy it today, the price hasnt dropped from what I can see, Im still working and the Petroleum Industry is still operating. All I can say is its a great day in America! As I said yesterday, we just have to suck it up and conserve where we can and wait till the market swings the other way. And to all those people I saw on the news last night picketing the local gas station, :kiss: :kiss: :D

X21AAAPlayer
05-20-2004, 05:08 PM
So if yesterday was national boycott gas day..... is today national buy twice as much day?

kaorder1999
05-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by X21AAAPlayer
So if yesterday was national boycott gas day..... is today national buy twice as much day?

hehe...makes sense

PI-fan
05-21-2004, 02:57 AM
Didn't Chevron report record profits?

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2004/05/21/hphoto-gas.jpg

spiveyrat
05-21-2004, 06:15 AM
My wife and I waited about an hour in line to buy gas at the low low price of $1.92 yesterday at Sam's Club. Like most Sam's, there are about 16 pumps in which you can use to fill up. ALL of them had about a line of about 5-6 cars waiting to fill up. The price around the city had jumped to $2.09, so we were all trying to buy gas under the $2 mark one more time. Besides the obvious reason for the lines, the wait was lengthened because of all the pumps being used at once which resulted in the gas merely trickling out. The guy in front of me must have been on "E". He had a Suburban and put in somewhere around 40 gallons and was hit for $75! Ouch! It must have taken him around 15 minutes at the pump.

Sans Couth
05-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Let's see, gasoline everywhere else in town is $2.09

Gasoline as Sam's Club is $1.92

Savings of 17 cents a gallon.

40 gallons times 17 cents = Savings of $6.80

I guess it is worth waiting in line for an hour to save that.

I wonder how many of those folks waited in line for an hour and bought 15 gallons of gas for a savings of Two Dollars and Fifty Five Cents?

olddawggreen
05-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Good point Sans, kinda like seing a guy parked on the side of the road (with the temprature hitting about 105 degrees) trying to sell half a dozen watermellons. Now 50 or 100 watermellons, I can understand, but 6, I might have to look for beer cans instead.:)

olddawggreen
05-21-2004, 08:29 AM
My wife and I waited about an hour in line to buy gas at the low low price of $1.92 yesterday at Sam's Club. Like most Sam's, there are about 16 pumps in which you can use to fill up. ALL of them had about a line of about 5-6 cars waiting to fill up. The price around the city had jumped to $2.09, so we were all trying to buy gas under the $2 mark one more time. Besides the obvious reason for the lines, the wait was lengthened because of all the pumps being used at once which resulted in the gas merely trickling out. The guy in front of me must have been on "E". He had a Suburban and put in somewhere around 40 gallons and was hit for $75! Ouch! It must have taken him around 15 minutes at the pump.

Now see Spivey, if you had been pumping gas on the 19th instead of standing in that picket line, you might have been able to fill up for $1.90 a gallon with no wait. :eek: :eek: ;)

spiveyrat
05-21-2004, 11:24 AM
It cost the same the day before. And as far as waiting, I didn't mind. I wasn't in a rush.

spiveyrat
05-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Let's see, gasoline everywhere else in town is $2.09

Gasoline as Sam's Club is $1.92

Savings of 17 cents a gallon.

40 gallons times 17 cents = Savings of $6.80

I guess it is worth waiting in line for an hour to save that.

I wonder how many of those folks waited in line for an hour and bought 15 gallons of gas for a savings of Two Dollars and Fifty Five Cents?

I'm detecting a bit of sarcasm here. You don't have to be bitter about me pointing out that an F150 won't get 25mpg. Gheez!

Sans Couth
05-21-2004, 11:42 AM
LOL,

I am not bitter about anything. I was just making a point. I for one would not waste an hour of my time in the Hot Texas Sun to save less than 3 bucks on a tank of gas. It is just an opinion. How you spend your time is fine by me, but if you talk about it on this board, folks like me are gonna respond.:D

spiveyrat
05-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Touche'.

BTW, I'm not in the hot Texas sun (unfortunately), though. I was in gale force winds in Kansas. Will it ever quit blowin'??? :eek:

Sans Couth
05-21-2004, 12:19 PM
I have traveled Kansas across I-70 when the wind 'blows'. I feel for you. It can get pretty breezy up there.

spiveyrat
05-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah, we occasionally hear reports of tractor trailers getting blown over on east/west running highways (like I-70). Sometimes they even issue warnings about using caution on east/west roadways. Plays hell on my fishing! :foul: Keeps the heat from feeling too bad up until the temperature reaches 95. After that, it just feels like the rush of hot air you feel coming out of your oven.