PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical for ya....

kaorder1999
05-17-2004, 02:22 PM
You live in a town that has recently moved up a classification. The possibility of building a new seperate high school comes up...

would you rather:

1) do not build the new school and stay at the higher classification

2) build a new high school....now having two schools in the same classification you were in before moving up...

I think id rather just stay in the higher classification and keep the tradition alive as being a one-high school town...but thats just me

Sans Couth
05-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Build two schools. Make one all boys, and the other all girls, and DROP a classification.:D

kaorder1999
05-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Sans Couth
Build two schools. Make one all boys, and the other all girls, and DROP a classification.:D
dont think i didnt already think of that....hehe

JasperDog94
05-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Build two schools. Make one all boys, and the other all girls, and DROP a classification.:D ...and there you have it ladies and gentlemen. The most unpopular opinion in Forney HS...;)

kaorder1999
05-17-2004, 02:33 PM
hehe....funny enough i wasnt thinking about forney when i posted this...but i guess they are faced with the same question....but they already have that decision made...there is already land purchased and a sign put up labeling it the future site of a new forney high school....

JasperDog94
05-17-2004, 02:38 PM
At least they are planning ahead. Here in Humble ISD, Humble HS has around 3400 students and Kingwood HS has 3700 students. That's just rediculous!

turbostud
05-17-2004, 02:40 PM
I say stay at the higher classification. Weslaco split into two schools in 2002. Weslaco High(5a) and Weslaco East(4a). Records for 2002 Weslaco 5-5 East 0-10. 2003 Records Weslaco 0-9 East 1-9. It will probably take a few years for the two schools to recover frpm the split.

JasperDog94
05-17-2004, 02:45 PM
We're forgetting one thing. The purpose of schools is not to grow larger so that you can have more kids to choose from so that you can win state. The goal of a school is to educate kids. When a school reaches a certain size, you start limiting the number of kids that can participate in activities. (particularly sports) I'm glad I went to a small 4A school. I got to do things that I never would have had to opportunity to do in a much larger school. I think you do the kids a disservice when you let the school get too big.

spiveyrat
05-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
...and there you have it ladies and gentlemen. The most unpopular opinion in Forney HS...;)

...among the students! :D

Rabbit'93
05-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Being a grad of Forney I think the idea of having two HS is horrible. Sure they are planning ahead but we just turned 4A. Look at Southlake Carroll. They have held teir own pretty well. If building a new HS is for athletic reasons only then the idea stinks. This is still a relatively small community and it will ruin the tradition that every athlete has helped create.

My solution to having too many kids in one school is to make one of the schools a Sr. high and the other a HS. 9-10 in one and 11-12 in the other.

JasperDog94
05-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Being a grad of Forney I think the idea of having two HS is horrible. Sure they are planning ahead but we just turned 4A. Look at Southlake Carroll. They have held teir own pretty well. If building a new HS is for athletic reasons only then the idea stinks. This is still a relatively small community and it will ruin the tradition that every athlete has helped create.

I'm not saying that Forney needs another HS. I'm talking about the "mega" HS that have thousands of students in them. Ususally those are the schools that have great success. Look at Odessa Permian.

JasperDog94
05-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
My solution to having too many kids in one school is to make one of the schools a Sr. high and the other a HS. 9-10 in one and 11-12 in the other.
The problem is still the same. You've only got 22 kids that start on the football team. Only 5 on the basketball team. There are limited opportunities to participate in schools that have 500 or more in a class.

Once again, this is just my 2 cents, but I think that's too big.

jason
05-17-2004, 04:11 PM
I'm not saying that Forney needs another HS. I'm talking about the "mega" HS that have thousands of students in them. Ususally those are the schools that have great success. Look at Odessa Permian. and duncanville

Rabbit'93
05-17-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm not saying that Forney needs another HS. I'm talking about the "mega" HS that have thousands of students in them. Ususally those are the schools that have great success. Look at Odessa Permian.

JD I see where you're coming from but I couldn't stand having anything other than the FORNEY JACKRABBITS in my town.

mwynn05
05-17-2004, 04:19 PM
mansfield was starting to get that way until a few years ago when the new schools were starting to be ready....even then the only thing they were good at was girl's basketball and those teams basicly stayed together and went to summit

Sans Couth
05-17-2004, 04:22 PM
OK,

How about two schools. One for the Chess Team Members and less skilled football players like 3afan2K2:eek: and the other school for "rest" of the student body.:D

Rabbit'93
05-17-2004, 04:37 PM
OK,

How about two schools. One for the Chess Team Members and less skilled football players like 3afan2K2:eek: and the other school for "rest" of the student body.:D

LMAO:clap: :D :D

WOSgrad
05-17-2004, 04:39 PM
This question may indicate why some do not want to split a HS for fear of losing competitive status:

Has anyone heard from Plano High lately?

mwynn05
05-17-2004, 04:41 PM
0-10

Old Tiger
05-17-2004, 05:20 PM
it would form a rivalry that would be good to watch.

Ray_BearKat
05-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Is the growth in Forney that much that they need to start making a new school already? They've only just become 4A.

kaorder1999
05-18-2004, 07:33 PM
i wouldnt think so but i guess people in the town think so

Sans Couth
05-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
Is the growth in Forney that much that they need to start making a new school already? They've only just become 4A.

I drove thru Forney a few weeks ago. They are building more new houses right now, than some 3A towns have in the whole town. I would look for them to be 5A in two years with anything less than 3 highschools.

Sans Couth
05-18-2004, 09:25 PM
And we are talking very nice brick homes in the low to mid six figure price range. Forney is exploding.

mwynn05
05-18-2004, 09:33 PM
ive never actually been in forney but i got a cousin that lives in rockwall and saw a sign that said Forney 13 miles.....and the whole area in Rockwall has just EXPLODED so i take it that the same type of boom is taking place in Forney except forney is a few years behind Rockwall in development

Sans Couth
05-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Forney is only a few years behind Rockwall in the sense that Rockwall took off first. Forney is building very nice homes that are on the same level as some of those in Rockwall. Of course Rockwall has the lake, and some very very expensive neighborhoods, like Maria Bay. But I am here to tell you, Forney is a great town, and they have everything you could want in a suburb. Close to the big city, but still not IN the big city, nice people, and a great tradition. What more could you ask for?