PDA

View Full Version : To Sans Couth regarding Dawn at Socorro

PhiI C
05-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Not that everyone has had a chance to see Dawn at Socorro and the fact that what I am discussing happens the first 25 minutes of the movie and doesn't effect the overall plot in the last 45 minutes I will give my obserations of the movie and similarities and differences I think it has with Wyatt Earp and the real OK corral.
The shootout in Dawn at Socorro (DAS) and the OK Corral (OK) took place in different states (NM and AZ). In DAS the year was 1871 and the Ok took place in 1881. In DAS the shootout took place at Keane's Stockyards. Of course in OK the shootout took place at OK.

Roy Calhoun played Bret Wade in DAS but he represented Doc Holiday. He had the same cough and the fast draw as Doc. The major difference is that Doc was dying of tubuculosis while Wade was suffering from a wound several years ago that damaged his lungs and made him caught. The doctor told Wade to go to Colorado to get mountain air and take care of himself and he wojuld be all right. Doc Holiday went to Colorado to extend his life even though he knew it would eventually be fatal.

Sans Couth
05-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Have you figured out which character is Johnny Ringo yet?

PhiI C
05-16-2004, 10:28 PM
To continue since space is limited:

The McNairs in DAS represented the Earp Brothers Wyatt and Virgil.
In fact one of the McNairs is named Vince (same first initial as Virgil)

The Ferris represent the Clantons who feuded with the Earp.

In DAS young Bill Clanton is represented by Buddy Farris (same first name initial) and he is played by Skip Homeier. He gets hotheaded in the movie and gets shot by Wade and the McNairs and is the reason for the showdown at Keane's stockyards. The real Billy Clanton was killed at the OK coral.

The character Letty Diamond I think represents Doc Holiday's real life girlfriend Big Nose Kate. They broke up later in the 1880s but Wade and Letty are really just close friends I think and their relationship ends when Wade leaves Lordborough after the gunfight.

Alex Nicol represents Johnny Ringo who was a friend of the Clantons. His character is Jimmy Rapp (same first initials as Johnny Ringo). He misses the shootout at the stockard like Johnny Ringo who missed the OK corral. The real Johnny Ringo was found murdered a year later. Rapp follows Wade to Socorro to get a debt and plans revenge on Wade too.

In DAS after the shootout Wade leaves Lordsborugh by Stage and goes to Socorro to catch a train to Colorado for his health. This is the main plot of the movie.

Now I don't want to give away any more information to ruin it for the rest of you so I will pm you later sans.

PhiI C
05-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Sans I got notice of your reply to my pm but for some reason it won't let me get my pm or click on at the message like it is supposed too. If you want email me at WTel471628@aol.com.

PhiI C
05-16-2004, 10:51 PM
I figured it out Sans finally. :) I answered back your pm.

JasperDog94
05-16-2004, 11:03 PM
Man Phil. I missed the movie. Why didn't you remind us so that we wouldn't forget?:D :D :D

Sans Couth
05-16-2004, 11:04 PM
LOL

PhiI C
05-17-2004, 07:44 AM
Don't worry Jasper it will be probably be on again sometime this summer and thanks to your encouragement I will try to do a better job of letting you folks that missed it know about it. :)

PhiI C
05-17-2004, 12:38 PM
I hope some of the other posters got to see it though.

PhiI C
05-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Hey Sans when you think on it other things come to mind. For example Doc Holiday came from a well respected family in Georgia. The Rory Calhoun character came from a respected family in South Carolina.

Bandera YaYa
05-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Don't worry Jasper it will be probably be on again sometime this summer and thanks to your encouragement I will try to do a better job of letting you folks that missed it know about it. :) ...,,uh, Phil, is Hugh Grant in it???????? :inlove: