PDA

View Full Version : Statewide Meet & Greet July 10/11

sinton66
05-15-2004, 08:25 AM
July 10 and 11 is the clear winner. Now we need to take suggestions for the place. It needs to be in the Austin area. It needs to be able to facilitate 25-30 (possibly more)diners, my BBQ pit on wheels, and accommodations (there or close by). Any of you folks in the Austin area, we would appreciate your insight.

Post your suggestions on this thread please.

3afan2K3
05-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Inks Lake State Park in Burnet.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/inks/
http://www.wildtexas.com/parks/ilsp.php
http://www.texashiker.com/Inks_Lake_State_Park.htm
http://www.lifeadventures.com/inks_lake.htm

Ranger Mom
05-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Being from West Texas....I like the sound of a lake also.

I thought about borrowing my parents RV, but with the price of gas, I don't think I could afford to drive the darn thing.

I noticed on the links that 2k3 sent, they have campgrounds with electricity and water. If I can set up a tent and have my fan, I will be just fine and dandy!!!

3afan2K3
05-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Is there anyone yall are most looking forward to meet?

Ranger Mom
05-15-2004, 12:33 PM
I don't even have a clue who is going to be there....did I miss a list of people who can make it on that date???

mwynn05
05-15-2004, 12:35 PM
i think he wants you to say him

3afan2K3
05-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
i think he wants you to say him
lol

Ranger Mom
05-15-2004, 12:44 PM
I can't give that answer...I have ALREADY met him.

Hey Kyle....are you gonna actually talk this time??

3afan2K3
05-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Depends

Ranger Mom
05-15-2004, 12:58 PM
On what????

If my daughter is there or not???:p :p :p

mwynn05
05-15-2004, 01:02 PM
what are you trying to imply rm

3afan2K3
05-15-2004, 01:03 PM
yea he prolly got shy around her
She was in the car the whole time.

Ranger Mom
05-15-2004, 01:04 PM
I don't see how anyone could be shy around her. She is the one who fell out of the chair and dropped my car keys in the toilet.

3afan2K3
05-15-2004, 01:05 PM
I don't see how anyone could be shy around her. She is the one who fell out of the chair and dropped my car keys in the toilet.
HAHAHA I was just about to mention that

mwynn05
05-15-2004, 01:06 PM
i heard...im wondering how she accomplished alll of that in one day

Ranger Mom
05-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Okay....we need to get this thread back on track!!

So.....where to have the Meet and Greet???

mwynn05
05-15-2004, 01:08 PM
ummm in fairfield well not fairfield exactly at richland chambers

3afan2K3
05-15-2004, 01:22 PM
ummm in fairfield well not fairfield exactly at richland chambers
your not even going

mwynn05
05-15-2004, 01:34 PM
i would if it was some what close to here and i was home

Chief Woodman
05-15-2004, 02:58 PM
I am planning on attending. Again, I have a boat that seats 10.....can carry 6 while pulling a skier at 42 MPH. The only thing that might stop me from being there is if I have to work overtime, which is why I could not the at the 3A championship football game. But hey, it is hard to turn down $1000 for one day of work. I witake a closer look at the links later.

jason
05-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
I am planning on attending. Again, I have a boat that seats 10.....can carry 6 while pulling a skier at 42 MPH. The only thing that might stop me from being there is if I have to work overtime, which is why I could not the at the 3A championship football game. But hey, it is hard to turn down $1000 for one day of work. I witake a closer look at the links later. well i hope you can make it...

Old Tiger
05-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Granger Lake ;)

wildstangs
05-15-2004, 04:11 PM
10th and 11th looks good for me also. Anyone from West Texas wanna car pool? Gas will likely be 2.50 - 3.00 a gallon by then.

mwynn05
05-15-2004, 05:06 PM
if gas is 3 dollars a gallon i just wont be able to drive

sinton66
05-15-2004, 11:50 PM
I really want to see some suggestions around Austin proper, maybe even a little farther South (Bastrop maybe?). It's a LOOOOONG way from Port Isabel and Raymondville.

jason
05-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Inks Lake State Park (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/inks/)

Ranger Mom
05-16-2004, 12:23 PM
We need to hurry up and do something.....Slpy and 66, we may just have to make an executive decision between us. We aren't getting hardly any input and I just checked on reservations at Inks Lake State Park....there are already a number of reservations made for that weekend.

If we are going to do this, we need to pick and place and get reservations made (for those who are planning on camping out - like me) while there are still reservations to be had!!

exbccards76'smom
05-17-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by jason
Inks Lake State Park (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/inks/)

this place looks very cool!! Are there hotels around for us who don't want to " rough it"?

jason
05-17-2004, 07:11 AM
yes in burnet about 5-10 miles down the road...

3afan2K3
05-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Jason what is the name of the hotel we stayed at while the Cabin wa sbeing built. The one past the bridge.

JasperDog94
05-17-2004, 01:22 PM
State Parks during the summer can be hard to come by. They get booked early. At least that's been my experience in the past.

jason
05-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 3afan2K3
Jason what is the name of the hotel we stayed at while the Cabin wa sbeing built. The one past the bridge. uhm we just call it the bates motel...thats not the real name of it though...

3afan2K3
05-19-2004, 09:34 PM
What are we gonna do about mods while all of them are at the meet and greet? I'm assuming all the mods and maybe admin will be coming?

Ranger Mom
05-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Hmmmmm...good question!!

I guess we will just have to shut the board down until one of us gets back home!!:eek: :eek:

olddawggreen
05-19-2004, 11:32 PM
I vote for Inks Lake. There are numerous motels located near Inks in Burnet, Marble Falls, Kingsland and Lake Buckanan (call the Chamber of Commerce's for these locations). As the posted sites for Inks shows, there are camp sites and it is a great place to spend the weekend. I havent checked lately, but Inks Lake State Park is usually the most visited state park in Texas. Golf, fishing, swimming....ect., ect. If I may be of any assistance on information for rooms or anything in the area, just let me know.

Im planning to attend where ever it is held though. I look forward to seeing you guys there.

olddawggreen
05-19-2004, 11:34 PM

If you met him at the state finals in Dallas he was probably too cold to talk ;)

sinton66
05-19-2004, 11:49 PM
If we decide on Inks, can we count on you Burnet folks to make the reservations and such?

Ranger Mom
05-20-2004, 08:18 AM
If we go with Inks we better hurry up. Because it IS one of the most visited State Parks in Texas, there are already numerous reservations made. I checked last week, at that time there were 19 campsites and 5 RV spots open for that weekend!

olddawggreen
05-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Ok guys, If, just in case we decide on Inks Lake, I have called and was told that as of today there were 47 camp sites with water and electrity, about 40 with water (or Electricty, I dont remember which) these sites you can drive up to and rent for $16.00 per night, first come, first served. There are also camp sites that you can park in another area and walk to. I understand there are also RV hook ups.

There is a $4.00 per person per day park enterance fee per person.

There is 1 open air pavillion that could be used as a gathering place from 10 am till 9 pm, ( after ( pm people can gather at individual camp sites or at the slab at the camp store) for 25 people, it is water front with a nice view of the lake. (I was told since it was open air it wouldnt be a problem for more people, no pets inside, outside ok) No rest rooms at the site (jump in the lake ;) )

This pavillion rents for $20.00 per day, and Im not trying to make any decisions for anybody, but because it was the only pavillion available for July 10 & 11, I went ahead and reserved it. No big deal if I have to cancel it, free cancelation today and $5.00 per day cancelation fee after today up to two days before.

Any one that wants an individual camp site can make a reservation at www.tpwd.state.tx.us or call 512-389-8900. Again, its first come, first served, maybe someone could get there early and block some up together.

If you decide to hold this thing at Inks Lake, I will post a list of motels located in the towns nearest the park so those that want a room can call and make reservations. Just let me know and I will help anyway I can.

Ranger Mom
05-20-2004, 11:55 AM
I'm glad you called them, their reservation page was WAY off as far as the number of available sites.

Inks sounds good to me - I think we need to decide pretty quickly!! That is only 7 weeks away and there is more planning to be done!!

olddawggreen
05-20-2004, 12:12 PM
RangerMom, how are we going to decide on the place, a poll?

I actually called and talked to a real person with the parks department, so hopefully he has more up to date information about vacancies. He said that things really start to book up fast in the next few weeks, so we really need to get on it if Inks is the chosen site.
I know Inks is kinda far for our friends in the valley, (everything is, but I sure hope they come), Its pretty central for other parts of the state. I think everyone would really enjoy it once they get there. Even though I live in Burnet, I will actually be driving in from a project that Im working on in Fort Worth. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Ranger Mom
05-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Some of us are gonna have to drive further than others, there is NO way around that!!

We don't even have a list of who is planning on attending.

Out of curiosity, I put in Sinton 66, slpybear and my "towns" on mapblast and mapped them. I did 66's leaving from Odem because I seem to remember he said that is where he usually is, but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, I put in Bastrop and Burnet (I didn't know what the closest town to Inks Lake was, and mapblast wouldn't accept that). Here is what I came up with.

Sinton 66 - Odem to Bastrop - 215 miles
Sinton 66 - Odem to Burnet - 227 miles

Slpybear - Bridgeport to Bastrop - 266 miles
Slpybear - Bridgeport to Burnet - 202 miles

Ranger Mom - Midland to Bastrop - 360 miles
Ranger Mom - Midland to Burnet - 290 miles

I guess you can understand why I am kinda liking the Inks Lake site better and better!!:D :D :D

olddawggreen
05-20-2004, 01:06 PM
I may sounding a little one sided here, but having been to both Bastrop and Inks, Inks is better. Lots to do in the area (did I mention Long Horn Caverns?).

Ranger Mom
05-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Is that where Longhorn Caverns are?? I remember going there when I was about 15. We were staying at Lake Buchanan at the time and went there for a day.

I remember being in the caverns where I met a guy I thought was a "hottie" ....we walked out of the 65 degree cave into the 95+ degree hot air and I immediately "tossed my cookies" all over his shoes!!

That is so funny, I hadn't thought of that place, or that event for that matter, in about 20 years!!!:p

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-20-2004, 03:21 PM
hey i was curious if the state-wide meet and greet thing was gonna become an anual thing or just a one or two time bit? i think if it were an anual thing it would be alot fun every year, like a reunion or something.

olddawggreen
05-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Is that where Longhorn Caverns are?? I remember going there when I was about 15. We were staying at Lake Buchanan at the time and went there for a day.

I remember being in the caverns where I met a guy I thought was a "hottie" ....we walked out of the 65 degree cave into the 95+ degree hot air and I immediately "tossed my cookies" all over his shoes!!

That is so funny, I hadn't thought of that place, or that event for that matter, in about 20 years!!!:p

Yep, thats where it is Ranger Mom, Just down the road and up the hill from Inks.

3afan2K3
05-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Yep, thats where it is Ranger Mom, Just down the road and up the hill from Inks.
And they have that 5 star golf couse right on inks lake. Its jasons favorite couse to play:D :D

sinton66
05-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
hey i was curious if the state-wide meet and greet thing was gonna become an anual thing or just a one or two time bit? i think if it were an anual thing it would be alot fun every year, like a reunion or something.

Funny you should mention that. Yes, it is going to become an annual thing for the statewide. We thought the first one would be best near Austin. Subsequent years, we're thinking of doing it on a rotational basis through each of the four regions. I would also like to see us start up regional meets in connection with the regional championship games.

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Funny you should mention that. Yes, it is going to become an annual thing for the statewide. We thought the first one would be best near Austin. Subsequent years, we're thinking of doing it on a rotational basis through each of the four regions. I would also like to see us start up regional meets in connection with the regional championship games. thats also another good idea.

pirate4state
07-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Just thought I'd bump this topic back up since it is this weekend. I'm sorry to say that I will be unable to attend. :( I hope everyone has a good time & a safe trip!! Maybe I can catch one of the other meet & greets. :) Someone make sure and take some pictures!! :D

marlin fan
07-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Yes please take pics!!!!! i cant go because .....welll....... u know why i cant go :mad:

Old Dog
07-07-2004, 04:32 PM
If the Inks Golf Course is 5 star, then my cow pasture is at least a 3.5! LOL

jason
07-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
If the Inks Golf Course is 5 star, then my cow pasture is at least a 3.5! LOL lol, ive seen deserts with better grass than the inks lake golf course lol...now Legends, thats a nice golf course...