PDA

View Full Version : The biggest Rivals in 3A

hornsfootball
06-27-2003, 10:25 PM
What are some of the biggest and longest running rivalries in Texas class 3A? Any traditions during the week leading up to the big game?

Vrabird
06-27-2003, 10:36 PM
Taft Against Sinton!! This one has been around a few years. There was always something going on during this week of football. A hound strung up the Taft flag pole or a Big T burnt into the 50 yard line of Sinton. Go PIRATES!!!

Bandera YaYa
06-27-2003, 10:38 PM
...a hound??? A real dog?? eek!

Vrabird
06-27-2003, 10:41 PM
Yup!!

spaniard
06-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Bandera YaYa:
...a hound??? A real dog?? eek! i believe it, with the burnet/marble falls rivalries back in the day, we had a horses head up on top of our bonfire bc marble falls' mascot is a mustang. bad times, bc that bit of stuff went on for weeks after the homecoming bonfire that year.

Vrabird
06-27-2003, 10:52 PM
The GP/Sinton rivalry was as big as they come back in the early 70's. The Ray Akin coached GP Wildcats were never beaten by the Pirates. Not until last year did the Pirates ever beat GP. This was greatly appreciated by all the EX Pirates!!! 16-7. This year we have them at our place. It will be a big hurdle, but maybe we can beat them again.

slpybear the bullfan
06-28-2003, 12:38 AM
The Bridgeport vs. Decatur rivalry will see its 83rd year of competition this year.

I have seen buzzards painted up like bald eagles and hung outside schools.

I have seen game fields poisioned and burnt.

I have seen Opposing jerseys ripped up on pep rallys.. ( kind of like effigies.)

We have a ball during this week!!!

District303aPastPlayer
06-28-2003, 12:55 AM
Sinton/Odem
Sinton/Taft

Odem: The Odem football team has stolen stadium flags, and painted them blue and gold and presented them as their trophies at their pep rally. There were also fights in the cities between players that hated eachother from the other town.

Taft: I can recall, just recently, that there was a never ending S kerosine'd and burned onto the Taft 50 yard line. The following day, the S and anchor in front of SHS were both painted green. The paint is still there, or was still there when i graduated in 2001. I can recall my freshman year that the Taft football team, including players that wound up graduating from Sinton, came over in a car and just drove around.

Old Tiger
06-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Rockdale/Cameron

wildstangs
06-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Wylie and Merkel used to be pretty big. Although something tells me the Wylie people considered it another open week most of the years.

Billy Boy
06-28-2003, 12:27 PM
Devine/Hondo

Bellville22
06-28-2003, 12:28 PM
The Bellville/Sealy rivalry is very heated and very old. If I remember right, I think years ago killed a Brahma and left it in the middle of the field in Bellville before the game. A few years ago there was a lovely message on display for the game that was burnt into the Sealy field by some Bellville pranksters.

But nothing too much in recent years. Nowadays you get thrown in jail for a well thought out prank, which has taken some of the fun out of a good rivalry.

Chief Woodman
06-28-2003, 12:31 PM
Slpybear is right....Decatur and Bridgeport are huge rivals. Although not often said in public, in most cases we actually do respect each other. Being the two larget towns in WISE county, there will always be competition no mater what district or classification we are placed in. Unfortunately, there are always a few on each side who take it way too far and commit crimes on personal properties and even on other folks. I enjoy rivalry, but not to the point that it aproaches hate and hurting people.

PS- my son is a Senior this year, and his team has NEVER been beaten by Bridgeport in football. 7th, 8th, Freshman, JV or even Varsity last year. He says it is so much fun hearing the Bridgeport players tell him every year that the only reason they have not lost so far in the season is Decatur has not played anyone who is good. At the end of the game when Decatur wins he gets to say "And we still have not played a good team yet". Feels SSSSOOOOO good.

sinton66
06-28-2003, 12:41 PM
Taft and Sinton has always been a big rivalry as long as I can remember. Sneaking over and doing something to the home team field has always been a part of it. I remember once when someone from Sinton used round-up in the middle of the field at Taft to spell out "Taft Sux" so it could be plainly seen from the homeside. During the times when they would schedule each other for homecoming, it was a big deal to sneak over and light their bonfire prematurely. Took a lot of undercover sleuthing to find 'em.

big daddy russ
06-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Ingleside and Aransas Pass have a very longstanding rivalry, dating back to the 1920's. The other two Coastal Bend-area rivalries that date back that far are Taft/Sinton and Refugio/Woodsboro (Refugio's 2A and Woodsboro just dropped to Class A). In recent years, though, all the above mentioned rivalries have been rather one-sided.

AP has beat Ingleside five straight years...

I don't remember the last time Sinton lost to Taft...

And while Refugio is a state powerhouse in football, Woodsboro has to fight just to get recognition in their own district...

Although Ingleside/AP is probably the most heated rivalry in the present, the two schools didn't start playing each other on a yearly basis until like the 1950's. Before that, they only played each other on an average of every other year. The two towns had a huge difference in size before the 50's, when Ingleside's population started booming thanks to new refineries in the area. Sinton and Taft have played each other pretty much every year as far back as I can remember and the two towns are separated by maybe 7 miles. Same can be said with Woodsboro and Refugio. I hope you all enjoyed that little history lesson.

PhiI C
06-28-2003, 06:35 PM
George West is no longer in 3A but for years they had a big rivaly with Three Rivers. The two towns are only 6 miles apart and there was lots of rivary. It got so much out of hand that the two schools stopped scheduling each other.

Keith7
06-28-2003, 06:40 PM
back when sanger was in our district we put bird seed on their bleachers so birds would land there and do thier business..