PDA

View Full Version : Arghhhhhh!!!!!

Ranger Mom
05-12-2004, 01:48 PM
I spent the ENTIRE morning on the phone with my phone company trying to get a problem sorted out.

Last night I was online and suddenly lost my connection. I tried to sign back on and my modem couldn't find a dial tone. I tried my phone and it had no dial tone. (This has happened 3 nights in a row, but has always come right back). I waited around for about 30 minutes trying it every so often - no dial tone!!

I finally tried my kids phone and it was working, so I called my line to see what it would do. It rang 3 times and then a man answered it. I was so shocked I apologize for calling the wrong number and hung up. I then looked at the phone to see what I had called...I had called MY number!!

I gave up and went to bed and tried it this morning - no dial tone. When I got to work I called my number again, after 7 rings an answering machine picked up and said you have reached 570-####, please leave a message. It was the same voice that answered last night.

I called the phone company repair department and put in all my info, I then received a recording saying they would return my call in 24-48 hours. I got online and sent a scathing email, but was still itching to talk to a real live person!

I finally broke down and called customer service (which is my on earth version of hell) and talked to a woman who spoke very broken english. After I told her what my problem was, she asked me if I had left my phone over at somebodys house and if that is why it was ringing at their house and not mine.

I could NOT believe my ears. I told her my phone is still physically in my house, but it is ringing at someone elses house because of a problem in the lines. I COULD NOT get her to understand what I was trying to tell her. I finally asked to speak to someone who could speak good English. She said, "I speak veddy good Engrish". So I said fine, "can I speak to someone I can understand?". She didn't find me amusing in the least! I finally broke down and said, "maybe you can understand this, "my telephoney...it no workey!"

I was then transferred to the repair department where I got to start all over again....all I was able to find out is that it should be repaired within 24-48 hours!:mad:

I was asked if he could help me with any more phone problems today, and I (in very UNRangermom fashion) told him exactly what he could do with his phone!!

Needless to say, I have called another phone provider and hope to be hooked up tomorrow at least. So I may be scarce the next couple of days while this is getting fixed.

I feel sorry for myself knowing I can't hop in and check this board whenever I want, but I think I have to feel sorrier for that poor man that will be receiving the dozens of phone calls that we usually get from 4:00 - 10:00 PM.

I wonder if I should call and leave him a message asking HIM to take calls for ME??:D

JasperDog94
05-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Wow! Even though it was tough on you, that makes a great story. I'm still laughing at your response. That was classic!:D

bccards
05-12-2004, 02:06 PM
I'll betcha that they gave your phone number away to a cell phone customer.. It is happening all over the country (with this number portability crap) that you have a phone number (landline) ringing in your home, then the next day, it's ringing some strangers cell phone! And it's hard to get fixed, even though the number *WAS* Yours!! Hopefully that's NOT the case, and was just a general stupid Telephone error.. Definately request credit on your bill :)

spiveyrat
05-12-2004, 02:14 PM
RM, you always have those "funny" little things happening to you. I know, I know... it's not funny now. But it will be someday. I can't believe she actually asked you if you had left your phone at someone else's house. "My telephony, it no workey"... ROTFLMAO!!! :weeping: (laughing so hard, I'm crying)

JasperDog94
05-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by bccards
...number portability crap...
Did you know that you have a fee for this on every phone bill. They started charging for this feature over a year before it was even available. Go figure...:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Ranger Mom
05-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Hip Hip Hooray!!!!

It workey....it workey!!!!!!

I just called my house and got MY answering machine!!

I guess acting Un-Ranger-Mom served me well this time!!:

:clap: :D :cheerl: :thumbsup: :wave:

JasperDog94
05-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
She said, "I speak veddy good Engrish". So I said fine, "can I speak to someone I can understand?". She didn't find me amusing in the least! I finally broke down and said, "maybe you can understand this, "my telephoney...it no workey!" I'm still laughing at this one...:D :D :D :evillaugh :evillaugh

bccards
05-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Did you know that you have a fee for this on every phone bill. They started charging for this feature over a year before it was even available. Go figure...:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Really..?? It's STILL not even available here (In a way, thank goodness). Maybe we shall all demand a refund of the amount's charged to us :thinking:

JasperDog94
05-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by bccards
Really..?? It's STILL not even available here (In a way, thank goodness). Maybe we shall all demand a refund of the amount's charged to us :thinking:
Yeah, too bad the FCC is turning a blind eye to this. They've made over 1 billion dollars off of these kind of fees.

mwynn05
05-12-2004, 04:43 PM
well since it worked out good i think this is sooo funny

CatWoman
05-12-2004, 04:56 PM
You should write and tell them that you figured it out -- you didn't leave your phone at someone else's house, you were in the wrong house when you called!! That should really mess them up.

sinton66
05-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Sounds like GTE!;)

Bandera YaYa
05-12-2004, 05:13 PM
As usual, you just make me laugh til I cry!! I'm so sorry you had to go thru all of that!! But I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that can't understand anyone on the other end of my phone, when calling customer service!!! It has gotten so bad, that if I hear an accent, I just hang up!! Do companies not realize how hard it is to understand some of their employees??? Last month I had trouble with my new computer, called customer service and got a guy from, I guess, India...tried for 2 hours to understand him enough for him to try to help me.....I finally just told him , I had to quit, I said "I cannot do this any longer. I cannot physically talk with you any more, I am exhausted from trying to listen so hard to make out just what you are saying, I am sorry, I have to take 4 Advils and go to bed now. Good bye." I was almost in tears, I was drained, to say the least.....all from just trying to understand him! It was awful!! Give me a good ole Texas accent anytime!!! :D

JasperDog94
05-12-2004, 05:45 PM
I know what you mean yaya. I actually feel bad that I can't understand somebody so I try really hard to pick up a word here or there. Usually with little success.:(

Ranger Mom
05-12-2004, 06:35 PM
I agree 100%....that should have been my first rant on the "Things that PI$$ me off thread".

I have hated this phone company since they disconnected my phone - DURING FOOTBALL SEASON- for non-payment, even though they clearly showed where a payment had been made and credited to the wrong account.

I have wanted to get rid of them since then. If I had known the switching back procedure was going to be so painless, I would have done it long before now.

When I called them last year when the disconnected me, I was furious. I called and hung up 6 times trying to get an American to talk to...I finally gave up. I was mad and when I get that way my voice tends to go up an octave. The girl told me to quit shouting at her. I told her I wasn't shouting and she tried to tell me I was. So...I shouted, "THIS IS SHOUTING!!!" It was so loud that I heard buzzing in my ear. To which she responded, "is there anything else I can help you with today?"

I'm going outside and watch my husband BBQ...I'm getting mad all over again!!!

:foul: :foul: :foul: :foul:

aamove
05-12-2004, 11:14 PM
I feel for you Ranger Mom. I had an identity theft problem about 5 years ago. Someone got my Social Security # and had a phone hooked up.....IN MY NAME. Being a little Naive like I was, I thought it was real interesting that, in a small town like Forney, somebody else had the same name as me. LOL I didn't realize what was going on until SBC told me that they were going to cut off my phone because I hadn't paid their bill. Two weeks later they paid the bill and I thought everything was OK But, I have had this repeated about every six months for four years. I told SBC to cut off the phone and they told me that I did not have the authority to request this, even though I have been turned over to a collection agency on two different occasions, for not paying their bill. SBC even transferred the phone to Mesquite for these idiots, the phone was still in my name. They even gave them an unlisted number.
Finally about a year ago, they moved and did not pay up, to the tune of $468.00 and yes I did get another termination notice. I think Iv'e finally got the problem solved, but with SBC you never know.
Good luck with your new phone service quest.