PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City football may be in free fall again this year.

Old Cardinal
05-12-2004, 01:42 PM
The strong rumor around town is that just as last year the Senior athletes will opt to not play football because of the present Offensive and Defensive Coordinators. I hear that the local youth respect all of the other Coaching staff but there is a quiet "passive resistance" taking place, just as last season. The astonishing thing is that it's not only the Seniors this year, they are being joined by a number of very skilled underclassmen. I love supporting the Cardinals and hope this situation can be rectified.
The Junior High each year goes undefeated and are quite skilled; however, the same youth that were leaders decide to no longer play football. There appears to be only a handful playing as Seniors again this coming year. These same departing youth train diligently to get scholarships in other assorted sports.
It looks like the football program will be weakened because a lot of good athletes will choose to not participate, under the present circumstances.
The youth and adults of Bridge City will also miss Coach Troy Woodall a long time respected football coach who has retired....
I really feel bad that there are hard feelings that are prevailent concerning the football program. I hope AD Claude Tarver can find a way to turn this situation around. If they can find a way to develop an ongoing year-to-year return program, they can be successful as in the past.

JasperDog94
05-12-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear that OC. That's just a bad situation all the way around. Nobody wins.

Can you comment on what the problems are with the offensive and defensive coordinators?

Old Cardinal
05-12-2004, 01:54 PM
No I cannot make any comments, except there are rumors that there may be young adults that recently graduated that may be running for School Board in the next election after the one that is taking place at present...

RBARKER
05-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Old Cardinal, Is the same OC and DC that Bridge Dity had before Coach Tarver was hired or did he bring his own over? The is a terrible situation and seems like it could be handeled. Are the parents on board with the decisions that their kids are making? I curious also what could be going on over there to cause such rebelion. Hope BC gets this solved so they can have a great year

spiveyrat
05-12-2004, 02:05 PM
That's too bad. I hope it doesn't turn out that way this year too. As a fan, I would be hacked!

Old Cardinal
05-12-2004, 02:08 PM
I am not going to comment any further on this situation, except to say that I hope that it can be worked out, for the youth's sake.

kaorder1999
05-12-2004, 02:14 PM
that just sounds crazy

JasperDog94
05-12-2004, 02:18 PM
That's understandable. I hope and pray that things get worked out. These kids only get one shot at playing high school football. I hope that they make the right decision.

kaorder1999
05-12-2004, 02:31 PM
bad situation......they are going to regret not playing.

mwynn05
05-12-2004, 04:56 PM
thats a bad situation hopefully it can be taken care of

eagle.eyes
05-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Sounds to me like more than OC and DC problems.

lobo12
05-12-2004, 08:57 PM
this is unfortunated, they will regret not playing because you only get one chance, but if they are not playing then i guess they didnt like the game as much as they once thought

pinecone
05-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Coaches can make a difference!

Haunta Yo
05-14-2004, 10:18 AM
I thought Old Cardinal was a freshman coach. Does OC coach at the junior high?

BullFrog Dad
05-14-2004, 11:32 AM

Old Cardinal
05-14-2004, 11:49 AM
No I have never been a Coach at the BCISD. I am retired from industry.

Haunta Yo
05-14-2004, 01:37 PM
It's great that you get to watch so many BC sub-varsity games. Most folks just wanna watch Friday nights, but the lower level games can be pretty good, too.

j_dog
05-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
The strong rumor around town is that just as last year the Senior athletes will opt to not play football . ...

Good try OC, but you are not going to lull WOS into a sense of overconfidence! :D

GUNHO
05-15-2004, 08:57 AM
j_dog.How could we ever be overconfident anyway?Just because we have won every game from '86 to '99 and have scored 564 points to their 105 ( ouch ):D All kidding aside we had a pretty good record against Nederland also but they have spanked us the last three years.We want take anyone lightly this year.