PDA

View Full Version : You Have Got To Read This--It will change your outlook on Kellen Winslow &Eli Manning

FbCoachB
05-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Kellen Winslow JR. knew what he had to do. After holding up the honorary #1 Jersey of the Cleveland Browns while posing with NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Winslow took an extraordinary step. When the flash bulbs had stopped popping, Winslow leaned in and whispered into the commissioner's ear. He wanted just a moment at the microphone, to address the assembled crowd at Madison Square Garden and the millions of fans around the nation.
Looking jittery for the first time in his life, Winslow stepped to the podium and spoke: "I'd like to thank the Browns for selecting me today. It truely is the greatest day of my life," he announced. "Like every other athlete in this building. I've always known that I'd have to sacrifice a lot to get where I am today. To reach this moment, I knew I'd have to give everything i had. And until yesterday, I thought I had."
The throng at MSG grew silent as Winslow spoke.
"But yesterday, we were all taught what the meaning of sacrifice really is. Yesterday, we were all taught what the meaning of sacrifice really is. Yesterday, we were reminded that the games we play don't really amount to much, and that there really are more important things going on in our lives."
As Winslow continued, Tagliabue discreetly ordered the Detriot Lions' draft clock stopped. For the next several moments, the wheeling and dealing was halted, the war room phones went silent, and the NFL nation stared intently at the stoic young man at the podium.
"On the greatest day of my football career," Winslow continued, "I cannot stop thinking about the worst day of my career."
"Last November, my Miami Hurricanes were beaten by Tennessee. i was upset. And I said some things that I've never really understood until yesterday. People always compare football to war, ant that day , I believed I knew what war was." A single tear emerged from the corner of Winslow's eye.
"I screamed and called myself a soldier," he stammered. "And I said I wanted to kill my opponents because they wanted to kill me. I said i was at war." Another extended pause. The tear struggled to maintain its grip.

"Well yesterday I finally realized what a soldier was. And I finally understood what killing really means. Now I know what war really is. And today, as I stare up at that No. 40 Cardinals jersey, my only wish is that I could have known Pat Tillman. I wish I knew the man who actually understood the meaning of the word 'sacrifice'. Someone who was actually willing to give it his all. Someone who knew what was worth fighting for, and who had the courage to actually fight for it."
"Today I apologize to Pat Tillman. And to every soldier who is risking his life for me. And to every family that has to live with the sacrifice made by their loved ones.
"Today, we will celebrate the great acheivements of our careers, but we'll also finally have some perspective, and some understanding of how lucky we are to be playing games instead of fighting in real wars. God bless you, pat Tillman, and thank you for the lesson you've taught us."
In the standing ovation that followed, no one noticed a visibly moved Eli Manning slipping through the crowds and embracing Winslow as he left the stage. And the crowd once again fell silent as Manning approached the podium.
"I, too, want to apologize. To everyone. Pat Tillman gave up a multimillion-dollar career to die for his country, and I've been up here acting like a spoiled brat, upset about which team was going to be3 paying me tens of millions of dollars for the rest of my life. I'm sorry, San Diego. And I'm sorry for not understanding how good I have it. I'm sorry, Pat."

A couple of class acts, in a world where every child spoiled rotten, these guys got a wake-up call.

vet93
05-12-2004, 09:08 AM
I appreciate the article...but it is NOT true. This was actually a column printed in the Northwest that stated what these two gentlemen SHOULD have done. Neither person had enough class to do what is mentioned in this article. Omitted from the article that is printed here is a paragraph that states "What should have happened". Sorry

BU97
05-12-2004, 09:16 AM
Did this really happen? I saw this the other day too and I went home and watched the draft (I had it still saved on the DVR) and I couldn't tell if this happened or not. After Winslow went up on stage he took pictures and stuff, then the cameras went to the ESPN gang and I couldn't see what was happening on the stage. I hope that this is true because what I read was really powerful. But, if it did why is this just now coming out? Why didn't ESPN replay the speech? I hope that somebody somewhere taped this speech because I sure would like to see it!

JasperDog94
05-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Sorry, but it's not true. Those guys are more worried about who they're going to play for than the well being of our troops.:( :rolleyes:

NewStang
05-12-2004, 11:10 AM
THIS STORY IS NOT TRUE!!
I watched every second of the draft. Winslow and Manning don't have it in their characters to actually do this. Someone posted this once before and wisely removed it when they realized it was fiction.
If anything, it's an almost sarcastic comment on the selfishness that Manning and Winslow have demonstrated. They did not do what this "article" claims they did.

JasperDog94
05-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by NewStang
...Winslow and Manning don't have it in their characters to actually do this...
Amen!

GUNHO
05-12-2004, 11:35 AM
I agree this did not take place.BUT....the main point of the artical is oh so true.

NewStang
05-12-2004, 02:01 PM
If it came with a disclaimer saying "What DIDN'T but SHOULD HAVE happened," I'd like it a lot. Unfortunately, it makes it look as though these two selfish and classless athletes had a spiritual awakening, whereas in the real world, they're saying Kellen Winslow is already getting to be a problem at the Browns camp.

JasperDog94
05-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by NewStang
... they're saying Kellen Winslow is already getting to be a problem at the Browns camp.
I haven't heard this, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

kaorder1999
05-12-2004, 02:35 PM
those are two people that I believe are idiots....very big idiots....major idiots...ok....ill stop

mwynn05
05-12-2004, 04:37 PM
if they really did this it would have been ALL OVER espn

sahen
05-13-2004, 02:05 AM
Winslow is already complaining and trying to get number 80 (his dad's old number incase if you dont know)....I think its funny cause the guy that has it said on sportscenter, "sure I'll change numbers if Winslow offers the right price, if not he can wear number 11"....but yah....these guys are jokes....do they really expect people to feel sorry for their little petty problems that comes with millions of dollars?

Old No. 7
05-13-2004, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
those are two people that I believe are idiots....very big idiots....major idiots...ok....ill stop

Don't stop. I was starting to get the point. :D

pakrat
05-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Thanks all above for putting a light bulb on Winslow and Manning!
I'll be careful not to cheer for them while they are counting their money and our real heroes are sweating it out in Afganistan and Iraq.

Sans Couth
05-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Guys and Gals,

I would like to say something.

I know that Eli and Winslow are not Heroes. Heck, I know that they are not even guys of impecable character. But to compare them to the Heroes in the Armed Services is really not fair.

It would be like comparing anyone on this board who has never served to the men and women that are serving.

Sure,

Eli may seem like a spoiled brat, but that does not take away from the fact that he is an excellent QB, nor does it take away from his right as an American to do what he thinks is best for his future. He is not the first person that voiced his opinion about who he wanted to draft him, he is just the most recent, and he happened to be a little more 'public' with his desires. I am sure there have been hundreds, if not thousands, of future draft picks, that have made their wishes known in less public ways.

I am not defending the guy, but I think we need to cut him some slack.

Phil C
05-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Good point San but we on the board also have rights as American and as you see most of us perfer to use our right to not give them any slack. :)

JasperDog94
05-13-2004, 09:28 AM
BTW Sans, it's Eli Manning not Peyton.

Sans Couth
05-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
BTW Sans, it's Eli Manning not Peyton.

I know, that was just a TYPO brain fart. I am sure that I meant Eli.:)

JasperDog94
05-13-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Sans Couth
I know, that was just a TYPO brain fart. I am sure that I meant Eli.:) ;) :p :p

Sans Couth
05-13-2004, 09:57 AM
I went back and fixed it so I would not look like a complete idiot:)