PDA

View Full Version : Domination of a district

VWG
05-05-2004, 08:53 PM
This year in the big three sports, football, basketball, and baseball.... Vernon, Iowa Park, and Graham were the three schools that represented dist. 5-3A in the playoffs. None of the other schools qualified over these 3.
My question is.. how many times have you ever heard of this happening before?

kaorder1999
05-05-2004, 09:02 PM
i havent heard of that happening before...that is awesome

wildstangs
05-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Sweetwater did it in their district. No one else did. The Graham, Vernon, and Iowa Park district is my pick for the best overall this year.

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-05-2004, 11:51 PM
I was thinking about this very topic the other day. Graham, Iowa Park and Vernon really had some very good teams this year. When a football team goes 7-3 you would think that it was a very sucessful season. That is unless you are Childress and your three losses came in district to none other than to Graham, Iowa Park and Vernon. But this is not something new. These three teams have been doing this year in and year out. Maybe not in every sport like this year, but almost without exception.

Graham in particular was the school to beat in each of these sports this year. They went unbeaten in district football, I think they had 1 loss in basketball (to Iowa Park) and they had two losses in baseball (Vernon & Bowie). That is a very good athletic program over there in Graham. In addition, teh rivalries are very heated between these three schools. That just helps them play up to their potential each time they play each other.

I watched each one of these teams play and was just amazed at how some of these high schol athletes can be so good at so many different sports.

Baseball seems no different, Graham is a solid team, Iowa Park is down right good and Vernon is peaking at the right time (won 7 of their last 6 games). I think these three teams will win some playoff games with the chance of one of them getting into the regional round. Graham and Vernon could wind up playing each other after two rounds. That would be very interesting as they split games in district and they were both very close -- decided in the last inning.

So congrats to district 5 for a very successful year in sports.

Bell_06
05-06-2004, 12:01 AM
I was impressed by Weimar taking state last year in both baseball and softball... to me that made quite a statement.

JasperDog94
05-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Were they in that same order for all three sports?

VWG
05-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Were they in that same order for all three sports?

Football- Graham
Vernon
Iowa Park
Basketball- Graham
Vernon
Iowa Park
Baseball- Graham
Iowa Park
Vernon

I know baseball and football are correct, and Graham did take the district championship sweep in the big 3. I think that Vernon took 2nd place in basketball with IP taking 3rd, but I could be wrong.