PDA

View Full Version : Old, You sure have been....

middleagecardinal
05-05-2004, 02:55 PM
quiet! What's the latest?

Old Cardinal
05-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi MAC, I hear that BC boys are warming up against Deweyville friday night, a 2A District Champ. Some folks are really poo-pooing that matchup...I have been thinking that first game against the winner of Hutto(360 enrollment) and Columbus; will not have the scorching fast pitchers like H-J and Buna. Therefore, maybe facing a good but not so fast pitcher from the Pirates may not be so bad after all. We lost a game to BH several years back when we had faced top speed and then they(BH) had a slow but accurate pitcher with a lot of junk. They fouled a whole ballgame away down the left foul line- being ahead of the ball.

I think that Coach Sissy Lemons has some real Coaching to do since some of the girls have lost focus and committed a lot of errors. It will be interesting Friday night to see if she can pull them back together as a team. Elgin and LaGrange were very good teams down their way and Elgin is certainly a top ten team.

middleagecardinal
05-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Yes we have looked pretty bad as of late...I guess we won't know for sure until tomorrow night. Are you going to the girls game or are you staying to watch the boys?

Old Cardinal
05-06-2004, 11:01 AM
It looks like we are going to the girls game in Aldine.

Bell_06
05-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Since I believe I've heard you guys mention in the past that you have some tournament ball players on the team you might be able to answer a question for me.

I was told that there has been a new rule applied to fastpitch tournament ball. I'm trying to find a site where I can read for myself these changes. The one I'm referring to is that the catcher can no longer stand near homeplate while taking a throw. Was told by an umpire that catchers are now required to stand no closer then 3 feet of home plate and the running lane, and can not drop to block home unless they physically have the ball in their possession.

Of course the reasoning behind this is 'safety'... but I don't see how they are making anything safe, if this is correct we will have catchers taking blows without having their legs set, or worse yet they will be diving at baserunners. So let me know what you've heard about these changes.. this would really change the complexion of the game....

middleagecardinal
05-06-2004, 12:20 PM
As a catcher years ago, I always knew that you were not supposed to block the plate with out the ball but it was always a judgement call by the ump. I can't see having to stay 3 feet away from the plate unless it is when there is not a play.

Bell_06
05-06-2004, 12:41 PM
if there was no play at the plate, it would be a moot point...

from the way it was explained to me, by the UIC, this was forcing the catcher to have possession of the ball before moving within 3 feet of home plate and the running lane. Of course I asked about wild pitches (never passed balls ;) ) how could a pitcher be allowed closer to the plate then a catcher. I could see saying that you can not drop into a block until you have possesson, I thought it had always read that you could not block unless the catch was imminent. But they were not even allowing the catcher to stand with her feet near the plate.... applied to other bases that would mean that a first basemen would not be allowed to stretch waiting on the throw.. .just doesn't make any sense at all

They may safety the sport to death

Old Cardinal
05-06-2004, 01:02 PM
At this point I do not know the answer to your question; however. AFA, USA Fastpitch, ASA, and a half dozen others have a few different rules. Sometimes is appears that certain areas have their own prevailing rules. I will ask some of the Beaumont Blast and Gulf Coast Breaker folks to explain the rule differences.

Bell_06
05-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Please do and I don't often get on these boards so if you could email me I'd greatly appreciate it..... mlslo@sbcglobal.net Thanks again... Laurie

3afan
05-06-2004, 01:50 PM
here's an umpires comment: a girls can block a base (including home) if she is "about to receive the ball". thats where the umpire's judgement comes is. in ASA this year "about to receive the ball" has been more tightly defined - the player can only block the base once the ball she is about to receive is in between the runner and the base. believe me that can be a very, very tough call. That interpretation takes affect in federation ball (high school) starting next year.

JasperDog94
05-06-2004, 01:53 PM
That put the umpires in a tough situation. I don't like these rules that are up to someone's interpretation.

Bell_06
05-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
here's an umpires comment: a girls can block a base (including home) if she is "about to receive the ball". thats where the umpire's judgement comes is. in ASA this year "about to receive the ball" has been more tightly defined - the player can only block the base once the ball she is about to receive is in between the runner and the base. believe me that can be a very, very tough call. That interpretation takes affect in federation ball (high school) starting next year. So was this ump just tossing in figures to try and support his point of view with the 3 foot rule?

3afan
05-06-2004, 03:00 PM
"tossing in figures"? huh?

i've never heard of a "3 foot rule" .......

Bell_06
05-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Bell_06
if there was no play at the plate, it would be a moot point...

from the way it was explained to me, by the UIC, this was forcing the catcher to have possession of the ball before moving within 3 feet of home plate and the running lane. Of course I asked about wild pitches (never passed balls ;) ) how could a pitcher be allowed closer to the plate then a catcher. I could see saying that you can not drop into a block until you have possesson, I thought it had always read that you could not block unless the catch was imminent. But they were not even allowing the catcher to stand with her feet near the plate.... applied to other bases that would mean that a first basemen would not be allowed to stretch waiting on the throw.. .just doesn't make any sense at all

They may safety the sport to death Sorry a3fan, the 3 foot was in reference to an earlier posting I had made.... Don't get me wrong I'm all for safety, it just seems like each year they are introducing more and more, next year the mandatory helmet guards come into play, last year chin straps. thought they also recently changed the core of the ball. Before long softball will have earned it's name.

Please tell us this is not you :) (http://www.eteamz.com/BHS/news/index.cfm?subsite=2271687&cat=246222#news2284443)

3afan
05-06-2004, 03:28 PM
uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh, no, its not me! ;)

Bell_06
05-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Good, glad to hear that's not you :) This was casual taken one step to far .... don't know if you have met the umpire Mr Tommy Angel... he takes such pride in his jobs, even polishes his shoes before taking the field... it really makes our girls feel like someone is taking them and their game seriously.

My daughter is breaking into the world of umpiring what a challenge.

3afan
05-06-2004, 03:57 PM
dont know Tommy Angel ... but its a good practice to hit the field with clean, polished shoes - you know what they say about first impressions.

I really dont like dressing in parking lots but what ya gonna do? thats why most umpires wear shorts under their slacks. now i did do a first round 4A game at Summit High in Mansfield last week and they let us use an air conditioned locker room before/after the game, that was really nice for a change. tonight i'm doing a 2A game in Mesquite and tomorrow a 4A game at TWU in Denton. these playof games are fun to work! lotsa luck to the BBs ........