PDA

View Full Version : WOS Mustangs

Ranger Mom
05-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Here is a link to a story previewing the Mustangs. It was written by Christopher Lyke of TexasHSFootball.com.

I thought the Mustang fans might find it interesting reading!

West Orange Stark Mustangs (http://www.texashsfootball.com/pagetwo/southeastpreview1.htm)

WOS92
05-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks, Ranger Mom! :D

Old Tiger
05-02-2004, 08:05 PM
That one dude is huge 6'5" 320...gah lee

WOS92
05-02-2004, 08:26 PM
He is a monster. If he can get his strength to match his size, he'll be playing on Sundays.

Old Tiger
05-02-2004, 08:30 PM
does anyone know his bench, incline, squat, or power cleng max?

j_dog
05-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Here is a link to a story previewing the Mustangs. It was written by Christopher Lyke of TexasHSFootball.com.

I thought the Mustang fans might find it interesting reading!

West Orange Stark Mustangs (http://www.texashsfootball.com/pagetwo/southeastpreview1.htm)
Thank you for posting this Ranger Mom. TexasHSFootball is now expressing what people in SE Texas already knew! :D

spiveyrat
05-03-2004, 06:51 AM
I noticed this article is claiming that the week 0 game against Jasper is in the Dome. I thought that is was now going to be @ WOS. Which is right?

WOS92
05-03-2004, 07:26 AM
I'm 99% sure it's at WO-S.

WOSgrad
05-03-2004, 07:26 AM
You're right. The Jasper/WO-S game was supposed to be part of a tripleheader which would supposed to be played in the Dome. But the tripleheader fell apart so the game has been moved to Mustang Stadium.

Also, the game in the Dome against Bay City has been moved to Pearland.

A lot of teams are pulling out of playing in the Dome because it has fallen into severe disrepair because Harris County is devoting all resources to Reliant Stadium.

WOS92
05-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I can hear keith's teeth grinding from here ;)

HighSchool Fan
05-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Why would Keith's teeth be grinding about this article? Last year Gaineville played a team who had a 350+ lineman, and won that game. Other than the 2 lineman that they talk about, everyone else seems kind of small. Before last football season I was over in Gaineville visiting with the coaching staff about the football team. His thoughts last year was that they should have a good team but by the next year they would be better and would make a run for the state championship.

I hope the WOS gets all the attention this year. It will be just like Burnett last year. WOS will be the media darling and think that they can't get beat. Gainesville will be better this year. I'm not making any predictions here, but I will not be surprised if Gainesville repeats this year.

WOS92
05-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Keith is grinding his teeth because he hates to see WO-S get any attention, that's all. I'm sure he's just as confident in his team as I am in mine. He just tends to get all chapped when anyone brings us up :D

Sans Couth
05-03-2004, 10:22 PM
I read the article. It would seem as though WOS has a good chance at a playoff run. However, I would base it on Depth and Certainly not size. With the kids they have listed, there are JR. High teams in North Texas with kids that big, excluding the 6'5" 300+ pound lineman. WOS looks good to me and I am sure they have lots of depth, but they don't look that BIG.

Cat22
05-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Well you know what they say, "Speed Kills" and WO-S will have alot of speed. They never are really that big, just very fast on both sides of the ball.

WOS92
05-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Our strength is speed, certainly not size. Even our state championship teams have been relatively small but extremely athletic. Don't put much stock in the big guy that's listed there. He isn't one of our "stars," but he is a pretty big guy.

Gasilla
05-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Sans Couth
I read the article. It would seem as though WOS has a good chance at a playoff run. However, I would base it on Depth and Certainly not size. With the kids they have listed, there are JR. High teams in North Texas with kids that big, excluding the 6'5" 300+ pound lineman. WOS looks good to me and I am sure they have lots of depth, but they don't look that BIG.
I do not know why you are focusing on the size of the lineman, the article merely mentions a couple of lineman and their size. Actually, they were only 2 out of 7 or 8 players that were mentioned. WO-S is not typically a real big squad. We are more built around speed than anything. We do from time to time have a large team and next year will be one of those years because we do have more big kids than were mentioned, but we are ALWAYS fast and that's where we hang our hat.

Big does not mean anything in highschool football. We WILL be fast on defense and we WILL swarm to the football and stop the run. I realize that we do not know a lot about 3A, but by the same token, 3A doesn't know a lot about us either. We hang our hat on defense and I don't think any team, Gainesville included, will step on the field and run over us. No, I don't come to that conclusion because we know a thing about Gainesville, but because I know the history of WO-S and what we've done with the likes of LaMarque, Bay City, Cal Allen etc.

Gainesville will be tough no doubt and, if we're lucky enough to get that far, may even beat us. If they do however, it will not be because they ran up and down the field on us or had that #8 run for 200 yards. If your 1 dimensional then your defense had better hold our offense to a TD or less because you AIN'T gonna do much scoring.

HighSchool Fan
05-04-2004, 12:49 AM
That's the exact same thing that Burnett said last year. Gainesville is 1 dimensional, they can't run on us. Guess what happened? Gainesville ran over them on the way to a state championship. Just because you know its coming, don't mean you can stop it.

WOS92
05-04-2004, 08:23 AM
We're not saying we're gonna walk away with anything, but I think we'll be in the thick of things.

Sans Couth
05-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Gasilla
I do not know why you are focusing on the size of the lineman, the article merely mentions a couple of lineman and their size. Actually, they were only 2 out of 7 or 8 players that were mentioned. WO-S is not typically a real big squad. We are more built around speed than anything. We do from time to time have a large team and next year will be one of those years because we do have more big kids than were mentioned, but we are ALWAYS fast and that's where we hang our hat.

Big does not mean anything in highschool football. We WILL be fast on defense and we WILL swarm to the football and stop the run. I realize that we do not know a lot about 3A, but by the same token, 3A doesn't know a lot about us either. We hang our hat on defense and I don't think any team, Gainesville included, will step on the field and run over us. No, I don't come to that conclusion because we know a thing about Gainesville, but because I know the history of WO-S and what we've done with the likes of LaMarque, Bay City, Cal Allen etc.

Gainesville will be tough no doubt and, if we're lucky enough to get that far, may even beat us. If they do however, it will not be because they ran up and down the field on us or had that #8 run for 200 yards. If your 1 dimensional then your defense had better hold our offense to a TD or less because you AIN'T gonna do much scoring.

I don't remember mentioning Gainesville, Number 8, or Running Over anyone. It looks to me like I just stated some opinions, along with a couple of facts, after reading an article.

Maybe you need to take your frustrations with Gainesville up with someone else. Or at least not quote ME when you decided to tell us how good you are, and that you are not going to get run over.

P.S.

I have news for you. Any team on any Friday is capable of being the windshield or the bug.

Trust me, you CAN be run over, not saying you will, but I promise you that you can have your clock cleaned.

Ask Jasper about playing Burnet in 2002 if you think that it is impossible.

JasperDog94
05-04-2004, 09:32 AM
WOS, did you guys get your defensive coordinator back?

NewStang
05-04-2004, 09:50 AM
JD94: It's in the works :D

JasperDog94
05-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Without that guy, your defense took a big hit. With him, it's pretty darn good.

Gasilla
05-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Sans, first of all, I must apologize because my entire post was not directed at you. I realize that, that's the way it appears, but it's not my intent. Actually, the part about "running over us" and "#8" was directed at an earlier post that was talking about what all Gainesville had coming back. If you read my post, I was merely stating what I thought would occur if both teams were lucky enough to meet one another.

However, the part that was directed at you was your implication that the article was pumping up the teams size. My point was that we are NOT about size, but about speed.

As for your last post, I don't think I'm talking about "how good we are" just because I state that I don't think that Gville will run over us. Just stating my opinion. I could be wrong. Hopefully, we will get the chance to prove ourselves.

Finally, if I'm not mistaken. Burnet didn't beat Jasper via the run but passed on them. Jasper and WO-S both have been historically susceptible to the pass. The way to beat both is to be balanced and be able to throw when needed. I will stick to my guns about not beating us by the run only, if there is no threat of the pass. Maybe, we will see in a few months.

PS: I do like the "windshield or the bug" analogy, I'll have to remember that one:D

Sans Couth
05-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Gas,

My only point is this.

NO TEAM, is beyond getting spanked bad on any given Friday. Burnet VS Jasper 2002 was just an example that I used. While I am not saying that Gainesville would run over WOS, I think saying that their RB #8 can't put 200 yards on you is a bold statement as well.

I have seen many a good RB in Texas hang 200 yards on teams in the first half, that were notorious at stopping the run.

I am sure WOS is going to do great this year, but they are not special in the way that they can't be run over just like any other team in Texas. To say that a running back like Terrius Purvey can't hang 200 yards on you, is just arrogant. That would be like saying Jordan Shipley couldn't catch 3 touchdown passes against your team, because you have great DB's. Some kids are just going to give you fits, no matter how well prepared you are. That is why they get treated like Rock Stars on their way to the next level, by all of the D! schools.

And I think my SIZE comments were taken out of proportion as well, if you go back and read the post, I think I was just making an observation, while giving WOS their props in the same breath.

RBARKER
05-04-2004, 01:31 PM
Good Luck to WOS this year It should be real exciting this year for your fans. You might see Barbers Hill the first round of the Div1 playoffs. I hate to have to play such a tough game the first round but, it will still be fun to watch. I don't know if yall know this but , your Head coach is a Barbers Hill Aulmni. I wish he would have stuck around at BH he has done a heck of a job for WOS. Every one will be gunning for you this year just don't get your hopes up to high. When Jasper dropped down not all but a bunch of there fans thought they would skip into the final and take the State Champ. They ran into a buzz saw via Burnet that killed those hopes. There is a chance that BH will not be in DIV 1 this year and go Div II (If Huffman gets in the top three) is so Div II could see BH, Jasper and Bridge City in DIV II man that would beaf up Div II in reg III. Anyways good luck to WOS and welcome to 3A should be a interesting year.

spiveyrat
05-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Gasilla

Finally, if I'm not mistaken. Burnet didn't beat Jasper via the run but passed on them. Jasper and WO-S both have been historically susceptible to the pass.

Personally, I think Jasper has been more susceptable to the pass than WOS. You are right about Burnet beating Jasper with the pass that year. I don't know what Jasper was expecting, but they obviously weren't ready for the pass. I believe if Jasper had the same game plan that year as they did in last year's semi-final, Jasper would have been in the title game. They had a whole lot more talent in '02 than they did in '03. Just goes to show you, sometimes the game plan is everything.

Gasilla
05-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks Barker, good luck to you guys too. And yes, we all know where ole Dan Ray hails from. Sorry, though, you can't have him back:cool:

Sans, I feel you, dude. We'll never agree on the rushing thing though, especially if it is a Cornel Thompson defense. You can call it arrogance if you like, I call it confidence, there's not much difference between them. I agree that no team is bullet proof, hopefully you didn't read that into my post. But, just as you have stated that no defense is unbeatable, the same goes for an individual player.

Sans Couth
05-04-2004, 03:20 PM
I don't know what Jasper was expecting, but they obviously weren't ready for the pass. I believe if Jasper had the same game plan that year as they did in last year's semi-final, Jasper would have been in the title game.

Hey Spivey,

I got a question. And I am not gunning at you with this question, because I am sure you don't have an answer, nor do I.

But since Burnet had McGee and Shipley, and even in the 2002 season were being heralded as the best Pass and Catch Duo in a Decade to come out of Texas, how in the world did Jasper not see it coming?

I think Jasper didn't see it coming, because they thought they were above it. I just don't think that a team with the coaching staff that Jasper has could have possibly not expected a passing game from Burnet.

Jasper got caught with their pants down alright, but it wasn't because they expected Burnet to run the ball, it was because they didn't expect the pass to work.

Of course this is just my opinion.

JasperDog94
05-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Sans Couth
Hey Spivey,

I got a question. And I am not gunning at you with this question, because I am sure you don't have an answer, nor do I.

But since Burnet had McGee and Shipley, and even in the 2002 season were being heralded as the best Pass and Catch Duo in a Decade to come out of Texas, how in the world did Jasper not see it coming?

I think Jasper didn't see it coming, because they thought they were above it. I just don't think that a team with the coaching staff that Jasper has could have possibly not expected a passing game from Burnet.

Jasper got caught with their pants down alright, but it wasn't because they expected Burnet to run the ball, it was because they didn't expect the pass to work.

Of course this is just my opinion.
Actually I can answer some of your questions.

Jasper had a new coach in 02. After 2002 was over, he said that he felt like it was finally "his" team. I think some of it was the coach feeling like since he had the same basic team back, that he didn't want to mess things up.

Jasper did a lot more film study of Burnet in 2003. They were about as prepared as they could be going into the game. To hold the top Passing & Receiving combo in Texas HS history to 1 TD in the first 3 1/2 quarters is saying something. Yeah, they made up for it in the end, but you have to admit that they sure did something different in 2003.

Another thing. It's one thing to see a guy on film and know that he's fast, but it's another thing entirely to see it in person. I honestly don't think Jasper thought that Shipley could burn them. They hadn't seen that kind of passing game coupled with that kind of speed all year.

I think that Jasper was shell shocked. Burnet seemed to score at will and stopped us early on. We managed to score several points, but never could stop Burnet's offense. 2002 was also the first time Jasper had ever made it that far into the playoffs. It was new territory.

In the end, who knows. But I agree with Spivey in that Jasper had a completely different game plan going into the game in 2003 and it showed.

GUNHO
05-05-2004, 01:29 PM
I remember when wo-s was going for their threepeat back in 1988.We wound up playing Paris.A team that came out of nowhere.I don't even remember them being in the polls at all during the regular season.Anyway...the question was not if we were going to win...but by how big a margin.Paris did not have any...so called star players... i don't think they had a running back with over 500 yrds and used four or five RB.Well they whup us pretty good 31-13 and we had six shutouts that year.

I said all that to say this.Every now an then a team can come out of nowhere and whip your arse.We at wo-s know that all to well.
:D

pinecone
05-05-2004, 06:37 PM
JasperDog94, I think you are right about the 2002 season. A new coach who let his assistants do things their way while he was getting acquainted. Some of the assistant coaches were also new at their coaching duties, although not new to Jasper. I also think that they put too much on the big defensive lineman, Joseph Bryant, who no one had been able to stop all year and he messed up everybody elses's passing game. In early games the lack of pass defense showed, but we just outscored everybody anyway and that can lull you I suppose. Lack of pass defense showed in the playoffs in '01 and we had almost the same team. If our head coach had stayed (and our defensive coordinater), I believe we would have had a different pass defense in the secondary. Also, Burnet had run the option a lot and Jasper might have been expecting that, but the qb got hurt and couldn't run. Jasper could have stopped the option. His inability to run actually played into our weakness. He picked the zone pass defense apart. When we changed our pass defense in the 2nd half, we outscored them.

Our new coach shone brightly in the '03 season and took a bunch of unherladed kids to the same level and almost pulled it off. I think we can expect more good things from this man.

Gasilla
05-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by GUNHO
I remember when wo-s was going for their threepeat back in 1988.We wound up playing Paris.A team that came out of nowhere.I don't even remember them being in the polls at all during the regular season.Anyway...the question was not if we were going to win...but by how big a margin.Paris did not have any...so called star players... i don't think they had a running back with over 500 yrds and used four or five RB.Well they whup us pretty good 31-13 and we had six shutouts that year.

I said all that to say this.Every now an then a team can come out of nowhere and whip your arse.We at wo-s know that all to well.
:D
Ouch!! You just had to bring that game up, didn't you? Yes, I remember that one all to well. As Sans Couth would say, that game we were definitely "the bug" and not "the windshield".

pinecone
05-05-2004, 11:11 PM
All you have to do is put WOS on a thread and it will get a big response. They are either well loved:inlove: or well hated:mad: by E. Texans. Maybe hated is too strong a word, let's just say well respected.:D

JasperDog94
05-06-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by pinecone
All you have to do is put WOS on a thread and it will get a big response. They are either well loved:inlove: or well hated:mad: by E. Texans. Maybe hated is too strong a word, let's just say well respected.:D
I would say respected as well. They are a team that plays well in big games. (It really pains me to say that.):( ;)