PDA

View Full Version : Phil's Trivia

PhiI C
04-30-2004, 09:29 PM
In 1969 Randy Pascal caught a long pass on a key fourth down play which set up the winning Texas touchdown against Arkansas. The question who was the person that threw him that pass? A toughie!

Old Green
04-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Jim Street

PhiI C
04-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Very good Old! Great recall!

Old Green
04-30-2004, 09:33 PM
I'll never forget that game. Best game ever played.

PhiI C
05-01-2004, 09:11 AM
What great boxer fought with Charles Bronson on a train in Heartbreak Pass? Winner gets a WTG (Way go Go!) To save time I will only give it when the right answer comes up and also the first one posting gets the WTG. This one is tough!

HighSchool Fan
05-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Archie Moore

PhiI C
05-01-2004, 10:08 AM
WTG HIGH SCHOOL!! GREAT RECALL!! I AM ASTONISHED!!

PhiI C
05-01-2004, 10:11 AM
In the 1970 Cotton Bowl Texas proved it deserved it's national championship by beating Notre Dame 21 to 17 ND's first bowl game since 1924. This running back was not a starter but he scored the winning touchdown in the last few minutes. Who was he?

HighSchool Fan
05-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Was it Billy Dale?

PhiI C
05-01-2004, 12:26 PM
WTG HIGH SCHOOL! EXCELLENT RECALL!! I AM AMAZED!!

PhiI C
05-01-2004, 12:31 PM
One more 1969 question. Texas was voted National Champion that year in spite of Penn State being undefeated too after the year (bowl games included). It was so out of hand that Pennsylvania and Texas senators and other politicians got into hostility arguments about it (every time I read about it I thought I wished they would be that vehement about the Vietnam War where our soldiers were risking and getting wounded and losing their lives in a war they weren't allowed to win but you know politicians). They only had bowls at that time after the season. But the Pennsylvania people whined and cried but there was one key thing they overlooked. What was it? Include enough detail with your answer.

PhiI C
05-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Answer to last question: Penn State could have played Texas in the Cotton Bowl but they chose to go to the Orange Bowl for fun in the sun. They were first choice for the cotton bowl but they wanted orange and when Notre Dame became available the Cotton Bowl People invited ND. It was a wrong judgement because Ohio State was No. 1 and no one thought Michigan would upset them but it happened. But Penn State knew they could have played a team with a perfect record (either Texas or Arkansas) but they made the wrong decision that they have to live with. They had their fun in the sun and the No. 2 rating. And the congressmen had their ranting and raving. Too bad it couldn't have been directed at the Viet Nam War. Maybe some lives would have been saved.