PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip the carhop??

Ranger Mom
04-29-2004, 10:21 PM
I read this on another thread and thought about it while I was at Sonic today. Are the employees there and pizza delivery places paid like waiters and waitresses? Do they only make $3 an hour and rely on tips?? Or are they at least paid minimum wage??

I had never heard of tipping the people at Sonic before. They probably hate me there now! I ordered a grilled chicken wrap and a large drink...the total was $4.67 and all I had was a $5 bill. I felt kinda strange telling them to keep the change, but I did!!

kaorder1999
04-29-2004, 10:25 PM
i alwys tip at Sonic....always have

Ranger Mom
04-29-2004, 10:28 PM
What is an appropriate tip?? I usually give the pizza guy a couple of bucks, but usually always write a check at sonic!

Old Dog
04-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Yes I tip.......I'm an old softie and I know they don't pay those kids a whole lot. AND I sure know what it costs to send a kiddo to college right now.........they're gon'a need all they can scratch up.

sinton66
04-29-2004, 10:36 PM
I try to give the standard 15%. But, if the service isn't all that great, I go down to 10%. But, by the same token, if the service is GREAT, I'll go up to 20%. And yes, even at Sonic.

JasperDog94
04-29-2004, 10:40 PM
I hate to admit it, but I've never actually thought about it.:(

Ranger Mom
04-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Well I just feel bad now!! All these years of going to Sonic and all I have tipped is a whopping 33 cents as of today!!:(

I feel a little bit better knowing I am not the only clueless one on here!!:)

Keith7
04-29-2004, 10:42 PM
I only tip when its happy hour at sonic

Old Dog
04-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Keith, at your age, you should be happy every hour! LOL

bccards
04-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Well I just feel bad now!! All these years of going to Sonic and all I have tipped is a whopping 33 cents as of today!!:(

At Sonic, that's all I ever tip is whatever the leftover change is. If it's more than .75, it comes back to MY Pocket, That's Dr. Pepper money during happy hour :D :cool:

kaorder1999
04-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

i almost always give them a dollar at least

Keith7
04-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i almost always give them a dollar at least

you are gettin ripped.. u can get the same service for free

olddawggreen
04-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Yes I always tip at Sonic, ect.....

SintonFan
04-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Keith, at your age, you should be happy every hour! LOL
LOL :D

SintonFan
04-29-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Yes I always tip at Sonic, ect.....
I do too. I only started tipping Sonic around 3 years ago. That's when I heard they make the same as normal waiters/waitresses.
IMO, if I get bad service I MIGHT give 5%, but great service gets 20% on average. When my wife was younger, she tried her best at waitressing but most of the time she only received 10% on average. She did say woman were the worst tippers...:(
I have always givin' the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes, if we had bad service I'll ask the person what 'was up'. You'd be suprised what goes on in most restaurants!:eek: :D
Ranger Mom, this wasn't meant as a slight toward you. You have shown that you are more than fair enough.

Sans Couth
04-29-2004, 11:51 PM
I always tip the Car Hop a buck. One day while I was eating lunch at Sonic though, I counted how many cars the average car hop waits on in an hour. Are you ready for this?....The average car hop waits on 40 cars an hour.

No wonder the girls that work at Sonic drive nice cars.:D

SintonFan
04-30-2004, 12:04 AM
I can promise you Sans, it aint that way in Sinton!:rolleyes:

spaniard
04-30-2004, 12:31 AM
i always tip, usually its gonna be $2 no matter what. ive worked as a delivery driver before for pizza hut (not burnet), and ive delivered pizzas about 10 miles out from our restaurant and the person didnt tip, even when they got their pizza early, it killed me. there were nights when id bring in about $50-$60 in tips, and others less than $15, those nights were just paying for the nights gas usage. so i can definitely sympathize with people working for tips and whatnot.

Old Green
04-30-2004, 02:36 AM
I always tip at Sonic.

Sans Couth
04-30-2004, 05:46 AM
I know a single Mom with three kids, that has a nice place to live, drives a nice car, and spends quality time with her children, in all of their activities. She is a Hop at a Sonic Drive In. And I admire how hard she works. Folks, if you can afford a buck for the girl who brings you your sack of food, please, by all means, show her you care. And on another note, if you don't feel that you can afford to tip the girl, use the drive-thru window.

aamove
04-30-2004, 05:54 AM
If I just stop in for a drink, I usually tip 50 cents. If it's a meal $1, if its a meal for the whole family it's $2 or 15% which ever is more.

spiveyrat
04-30-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Sans Couth
I always tip the Car Hop a buck. One day while I was eating lunch at Sonic though, I counted how many cars the average car hop waits on in an hour. Are you ready for this?....The average car hop waits on 40 cars an hour.

No wonder the girls that work at Sonic drive nice cars.:D

You sat at Sonic for an hour???!!!

ej2525
04-30-2004, 07:53 AM
I need a job @ Sonic then!! I always tip about a buck when I go there.

Sans Couth
04-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
You sat at Sonic for an hour???!!!

Actually I sat at Sonic for 20 minutes, and did this thing I learned in 2nd grade.....I divided an hour by 20 minutes, and learned that it goes in 3 times. Then I took the number of cars the girl visited and multiplied by the number 3. Since she had visited 13 cars and was 10 feet into a trip of 30 feet on her 14th car as I drove away...I calculated that she waited on 40 cars per hour.

But thank you for asking.:p

Mustang '89
04-30-2004, 08:31 AM
I give them a buck when I'm only getting a Route 44 Sweet Ice Tea.

I can sympathize because, like Spaniard, I too am a former Pizza Hut Delivery Driver. I really hated putting that Pizza Hut sign on my car.

Ranger Mom
10-19-2005, 01:39 PM
sorry...I am bringing this oldie back up....because I now have ANOTHER question!

I went to Sonic at lunch and noticed you can now pay with a credit/debit/ or Sonic Card.

So.....do you pay with your card and then just tip them extra when they bring the food/drink or whatever???

And another thing...don't know if it's at all Sonics, but ours here in Midland now have Diet Dr. Pepper!!!!

YIPPEE!!!!

SintonFan
10-19-2005, 01:45 PM
I pay by check card and give the hop a buck or two cash.

Black & Gold
10-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Depends on what kind of change I get as to whether or not I tip.

Ranger Mom
10-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I pay by check card and give the hop a buck or two cash.

Cool!! That's exactly what I did too!!:p

SintonFan
10-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Sometimes I have been caught without cash and give a compliment instead.:doh:

GS#17
10-19-2005, 02:32 PM
I may come off as a meanie, but here goes...

My understanding is carhops at Sonic make minimum wage. All they're doing, generally, is bringing out the food from the kitchen to the car and performing minimal cashier duties. They don't take the order or make the food or drinks, and I don't see how they're any different from BK or McDonald cashiers, who nobody really considers tipping.

Another thing, if you're tipping the carhop, why stop there? A lot of people enjoy the limeades, milk shakes, and other drinks, and many Sonics use fountaineers/soda jerks to make those drinks. The fountaineers aren't tipped by individual customers and are minimum wage workers, also...

District303aPastPlayer
10-19-2005, 02:41 PM
i tip the carhop at sonic about a buck or two... depending on if its someone i know or not... if its a friend, 2-3, if not... 1-2

GWOOD
10-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Didn't see this post when it came out a year and a half ago. But it reminded me of my Sonic tipping story.

Sometimes I tip and sometimes I don't. A couple of years ago my daughter and I stopped by for a milk shake. It came out to $3.96 or something like that. So I pulled out a five dollar bill and told the carhop to keep the change. She said "Are you sure?" I said "yes," thinking, man, these girls must rarely get tips. Later that night I opened my billfold to pull out a twenty dollar bill to pay for something and all I had was a five dollar bill in my wallet. After thinking a moment, I realized that earlier in the day I must have tipped the Sonic girl $16.04 for two milk shakes.

So for one day, I covered most of the non-tippers in town.

handNthedirt
10-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Do all of you overly-generous individuals tip the drive through employee at McDonalds? I hope so, cause it's the same dad-gummed minimum wage paying job!!!

44INAROW
10-19-2005, 02:54 PM
There is one particular young man that is a car-hop at the Sonic here in Cuero and he is the most pleasant person to deal with. I am usually in an all fired-up hurry when I stop in there and he always stops and tells me how nice I look and to have a nice day :) (my son calls him an a$$-kisser) lol - He whistles while walking to the cars, too. It is a nice change of pace from alot of places that have some punk smacking their gum with their eyes rolling and sighing heavily while while taking my order :rolleyes:

Oh and yes, I tip at Sonic -

44INAROW
10-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Do all of you overly-generous individuals tip the drive through employee at McDonalds? I hope so, cause it's the same dad-gummed minimum wage paying job!!!

I probably would if they brought my food out to my car - and have when the guy at What-a-burger did when there was a long line

GWOOD
10-19-2005, 02:58 PM

At McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's you often get big-time attitude from servers(At least in Midland you do). Not so at Sonic or Chick-Fil-A

handNthedirt
10-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
There is one particular young man that is a car-hop at the Sonic...he always stops and tells me how nice I look and to have a nice day :) Oh and yes, I tip at Sonic -

Note to self...stay away from Cuero Sonic!
I would think bragging about, and paying a young boy for complimenting your appearance would be illegal in most counties?

handNthedirt
10-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I probably would if they brought my food out to my car - and have when the guy at What-a-burger did when there was a long line

They bring your food out to you at mcdonalds when you have to "pull up" because it's not ready yet and there are customers behind you. do you tip them then, cause I know you've "pulled up."

Bullaholic
10-19-2005, 03:07 PM
I would think bragging about, and paying a young boy for complimenting your appearance would be illegal in most counties?

Oh hntd, I think you better put on your asbestos underwear, 'cause I think your butt may be fixing to be burned by a few ladies that I know on here..........

44INAROW
10-19-2005, 03:07 PM

you're a jerk..

44INAROW
10-19-2005, 03:10 PM
They bring your food out to you at mcdonalds when you have to "pull up" because it's not ready yet and there are customers behind you. do you tip them then, cause I know you've "pulled up."

I don't understand the question - but don't bother changing it, I am ignoring you as of now :rolleyes:

handNthedirt
10-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Oh hntd, I think you better put on your asbestos underwear, 'cause I think your butt may be fixing to be burned by a few ladies that I know on here..........

Why, have I been out of line today?

Bullaholic
10-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Why, have I been out of line today?

Not for me to say, hntd, I was just yelling-"Incoming!" because I know most of these gals on here, and they will laugh with you, but if they think you are "serious" or out of line, they tend to let you know about it. I'm gonna "bow out" now, good luck.

AJ_2005
10-19-2005, 03:21 PM
i never used to until my friends started working there so i would leave a lil something

Ranger Mom
10-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
At McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's you often get big-time attitude from servers(At least in Midland you do).

They are also notorious for screwing up a drive though order too! I try to be nice while ordering though....I have had too many people tell me what they do to your food between the time you order and the time you pick it up, if you make them mad!:eek:

Ranger Mom
10-19-2005, 04:28 PM

What a dork!:rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
10-19-2005, 04:30 PM

Nope, sure don't! They are in a climate controlled facility with their head hanging out the window.

They aren't walking around in 105° or 25° weather all day long!

NateDawg39
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
I usually give them 1 or 2 dollars depending on how uch my purchased food cost me. Usually a dollar.

pirate4state
10-19-2005, 04:35 PM
I have got to remember that scene from Reservoir Dogs!! :clap: That was classic!! :D

Bandera YaYa
10-19-2005, 04:39 PM
I always tip at Sonic too.....but then I always tip well wherever I am....I was a waitress once, and it's a hard job..... :D

BrahmaDAD70
10-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Dear Ranger Mom

I have a solution to you Sonic problem

and you wont have to tip me

it called a TV dinner.

Just playing LOL.......

Ranger Mom
10-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by BrahmaDAD70
Dear Ranger Mom

I have a solution to you Sonic problem

and you wont have to tip me

it called a TV dinner.

Just playing LOL.......

Shame on you!!!

That requires work on MY part....I would rather tip someone!!:D

GreenMonster
10-19-2005, 05:47 PM
I never tip at Sonic. How much effort does it really take to pick up a bag and find the right car? Now i will admit, at least the carhops can still count change without a computer telling them how much to give back (ie Wal-Mart) but still, that isn't a talent I feel is worthy of a tip. I didn't need my tea refilled or any extra napkins and the carhop didn't have to remember who got what so I don't tip.

RMAC
10-19-2005, 05:48 PM
I worked 2 years at a grocery store. Now, granted we weren't allowed to accept tips, if a guy wants to tip me $10 which was about what I made in 2 hours after taxes, I wasn't gonna turn him down. So I always tip if I got the extra money.

bulldogbark
10-19-2005, 05:55 PM
I always like to tip. I use to tip a lot higher until i got married. now if I tip to much my wife kinda looks at me strange. and if the person waiting on is a female and I tip to much. I get my lunch money taken away:(

BrahmaDAD70
10-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Nice bulldogbark

Lunch money smack always works for me.

I say you should tip in advance.

One night after a Brahmas win I was hot and thirsty.

I told the waitress here is 5 dollars keep um coming

my glass was never empty.

Da Mules
10-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Tip at the Sonic is usually the left-over change, 50 cents minimum, and a buck at the most. I pretty much go the standard 15% at most restaurants, unless it's outstanding. Most Sonic carhops I've seen need that left-over change more than I do.

big daddy russ
10-19-2005, 11:01 PM
I tip all carhops, all pizza boys and ALL waiters of any sort. At least 15% for carhops and waiters, at least 10% for pizza boys. There's nothing that hacks me off more (and says white trash) than someone who leaves $5 on a $50 ticket... or someone who thinks that a $5 tip will do for any bill at a sit-down restaurant.

bulldogbark
10-19-2005, 11:33 PM
do you leave the tip on the table or do you give it to your server. I give it to them in person because I want to make sure they get it. and once my daughter when she was young brought me the tip i left on the table thinking i left it by mistake:)

SintonFan
10-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
do you leave the tip on the table or do you give it to your server. I give it to them in person because I want to make sure they get it. and once my daughter when she was young brought me the tip i left on the table thinking i left it by mistake:)
When I get great service, I usually hand the tip to the serviceman in person and tell them why I did.:cool:

Ranger05
10-20-2005, 10:31 AM
i tip at sonic but only about a dollar or 2 but when i go into a place like cheddars or something i normally will tip 40% cause i use to work at cheddars and absolutely hated and then dont get paid much so i try and leave a big tip

Keith7
10-20-2005, 08:06 PM

you have obviously never worked in any of these places, but McDonalds doesn't pay minimum wage (unless you live in a VERY poor community).. and those cooks and order takers at sonic normally make between 7-9 bucks per hour (depending on the community again), but no matter what community you live in, the ALL carhops make minimum wage.. plus are trained, and often do the same work that the cooks and ordertakers do, and you may only go to Sonic on sunny days, but when rain or other harsh weather comes, they don't get the day off, they all have to walk and deal w/ that stuff..

Pizza delivery guys really get the shaft by non-tippers, think about the GAS prices!! And like the Carhops, Drivers have to do everything the other workers do (preparing dough, topping pizzas, putting them in boxes, cutting them, folding boxes) all for minimal wage.. Drivers normally don't get but 1 dollar per delivery (to sopposedly cover gas) but trust me, that is not nearly enough!!

Trust me guys tip your Carhops and Pizza Delivery drivers because they REALLY do remember who tips and who doesnt.. If you want extra peperments, warm, sanitary food, non-burnt pizza, or just to do a nice thing for a kid who is trying to help his or her family out by getting a job

Keith7
10-20-2005, 08:07 PM
I don't know when being cheap, and not helping other people out became something to be proud of, but you guys do what you have to do

big daddy russ
10-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I don't know when being cheap, and not helping other people out became something to be proud of, but you guys do what you have to do
Two words come to mind: white trash.

I've heard guys with office jobs talk about how tough of a day they've had. Same with coaches dealing with PO'd parents. Imagine dealing with that all day every day. It's one of those jobs that you had to have been there to appreciate all they do for you.

I've worked on a ranch, as a grunt in construction and as a waiter. A waiter is by far the most physically demanding of the three.

44INAROW
06-09-2010, 10:32 AM
now I remember why I didn't like this guy :doh:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I usually give around a 40% tip everywhere I go.

OldBison75
06-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Just a thought from the father of a carhop teenager at Sonic. Her regular pay is 5.25 per hour and she get to keep any tips she makes. On a very busy night she may make 60-70 dollars in tips but those are few and far between. Most nights average about 25 dollars in tips for a 6 hour shift. None of these people work a 40 hour week and most are limited to no more than 24 hours because the labor laws require that minimum wage be paid if you exceed 28 hours per week.

My daughter's experience with tipping reflects about what this poll shows, she said that about half of the customers leave some kind of tip even if it is just the change from thier order (35 or 40 cents. Of those that tip, there are about three in ten that leave at least one dollar. Occasionally there is the big tipper that leaves three to five dollars.

On her best night in two years, she made 115 dollars in tips in 6 hours. Her worst 6 hour shift produced a little over eleven dollars. Those girls also take alot of abuse from customers. Drunks come in and try to pick them up or talk nasty to them, some people come in and order 20-25 dollars in food and then drive off when the order is about ready to be delivered, and there are even some that have thrown cokes and ice cream at her when she walked by going to another car. Plus, there is always one or two customers that place an order and then complain that they asked for cheese on the burger and it is not there, so they are not paying for it. Of course, they want to keep the burger without cheese and eat it without paying. She has developed her own solution for dealing with that, she carries a pocket recorder that she records each order and if that question comes up, she just pulls out the recording and says "listen to what you ordered". "If you are refusing to pay for an order you made, that is fine, but I reserve the right to call the police and give them your license plate number and a copy of this recording to charge you with theft." She says that most people will say never mind and give her the money for the order and a few have even tipped her for being kind while she threatened to call the police on her. One even gave her a ten dollar bill because he said that any kid that went to that much effort to protect the profits of her boss deserved a raise.

In closing, tip these kids because they really don't make very much salary for what they do, and they get no insurance, holidays, and no sick leave. or vacation.

OldBison75
06-09-2010, 02:56 PM
OH, and BBDE, my daughter says you are welcome to come to Sonic in Navasota anytime she is working and she will be glad to serve you for 40 %. She sais she would even smile real sweet and flirt for that if you place a big order.

Txbroadcaster
06-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I always tip...but I also dont like servers who always EXPECT to be tipped with good or bad service. I have worked in the field before and I expect good service..not be treated like a king or anything, but just simple good service.

JasperDog94
06-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I usually start at around 15% and then go up or down from there. I typically won't go below 10% unless the service is very, very poor.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
OH, and BBDE, my daughter says you are welcome to come to Sonic in Navasota anytime she is working and she will be glad to serve you for 40 %. She sais she would even smile real sweet and flirt for that if you place a big order.

Haha, yeah, yeah. I actually leave at least a $5.00 tip anywhere I go. If the service is really good, I'll leave a $10.00 tip. Most of the time my meals aren't anything more than $10.00 anyways.

forum_guy
06-09-2010, 10:14 PM
why would you tip at sonic? because they are walking 5 ft to your car one time with your food?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
why would you tip at sonic? because they are walking 5 ft to your car one time with your food?

Because they make below minimum wage and are treated like crap by customers. Customer tips are their livelihood.

injuredinmelee
06-09-2010, 10:46 PM
I dont tip at Sonic or pizza delivery. Sonic thats the whole premise of your company not my decision. Pizza thats what your paid to do so bring it to my house and leave.

injuredinmelee
06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
one of my cousins was married to a guy that managed a sonic and the one he worked at they paid minimum wage not waitress-tip wages.

j_dog
06-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Tip the young people!! And old people also!