PDA

View Full Version : Bellville Brahmas District 23 Champs!!!

Bellville22
04-29-2004, 09:25 PM
....and that's why they play the games. Baseball. Gotta love it. Just when we thought we were all set for a showdown for the crown in Brenham tomorrow night and a fight for a playoff spot in Weimer/Rice Consol. the baseball gods decide otherwise.

The Bellville Brahmas won a pitching duel in Sealy, edging the Tigers 1-0. Meanwhile, Columbus defeated Navasota 6-0, making the Brahmas the District Champs. Navasota will serve as the D23 runner-up, and Columbus sneaks its way back into the playoffs after many, including myself, had written them off after the first round.

Didn't witness the game, but got virtual play-by-play from (as ROY would say) my "network" of cell phone buddies at the game. Lucas Luetge and Heath Koneshek locked up in a duel where neither would give in. If I'm not mistaken, each gave up 2 or 3 hits. According to the official scorer, the lone run of the game was unearned, coming on an error by the 2B. Congrats to Luc for stepping up and going the distance, and recording the shutout, and congrats to Heath from Sealy for what must have been a gem for the underdog Tigers. I knew they were a different team with him on the mound.

Hats off to the Columbus Cardinals as well for ignoring the underdog label and knocking off the red-hot Rattlers. Don't have any details on this game. I knew Columbus could match up with them, I believe the Cards out-hit the Rattlers in their last meeting. As I stated, I thought the Cards were done early in the season, but they stuck with it, and clawed their way into the dance.

Bellville will enjoy a much needed bye to heal some wounds. Bryant didn't play again tonight, and the older Buenger has a touch of the flu I believe. They finish district play 9-1. They have several players with quite a bit of playoff experience. Pitching depth could be a problem for the Bulls.

Navasota finished 8-2. They're the kind of team that can do some things in the playoffs if they can get the bats back. They're very scrappy, and can find different ways to score runs. The biggest upside for them is their very deep pitching staff. I think Coach Rangel (sp?) can comfortably go 6 or 7 deep. That's key for a run.

Columbus enters with a 6-4 record, 2-3 after the first round. Can't tell you much about the Cards.

Again, congrats to the Bulls for another District Crown, and best of luck to all 3 of these teams in the playoffs.

Bellville22
04-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Any word on who Navasota and Columbus face?

BrahmaMom
04-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Well said, 22. What a pitching duel! Lucas was awesome, and Konesheck just kept 'em coming. Congratulations to the Bellville Brahmas for doing what they do so well, going the distance. Congratulations, too, to the Sealy Tigers, they were fierce opponents and never gave up--what solid fielding they had behind Heath! That tradition carries over year after year for them. I am so proud of the Columbus Cardinals--wow, that will be one to talk about for years! Navasota is still in it and will give opponents more than they bargained for. Gotta love the game! Rest up, Brahmas, especially Jabow and Jess, who must be under the weather. Get ready to go all the way! GO BRAHMAS!

Brahma73
04-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Navasota plays Giddings, Columbus plays Hutto.

Tonight's Bellville vs. Sealy linescore:

Bellville 1 2 1
Sealy 0 2 1

Wow! What a game!

Bull's-eye
04-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Congratulations Bellville!!

Bellville22 did a pretty good job posting this game. One player that deserves some credit is the 3rd baseman Fuller. He made a big defensive play, to throw out a Sealy runner at the plate. With the regular 3rd baseman Goeke moving over to second, Fuller stepped in and did a great job at third. Goeke also made a good back-handed stop to force a runner at second.

SintonFan
04-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Bellville22
....and that's why they play the games. Baseball. Gotta love it. Just when we thought we were all set for a showdown for the crown in Brenham tomorrow night and a fight for a playoff spot in Weimer/Rice Consol. the baseball gods decide otherwise.

The Bellville Brahmas won a pitching duel in Sealy, edging the Tigers 1-0. Meanwhile, Columbus defeated Navasota 6-0, making the Brahmas the District Champs. Navasota will serve as the D23 runner-up, and Columbus sneaks its way back into the playoffs after many, including myself, had written them off after the first round.

Didn't witness the game, but got virtual play-by-play from (as ROY would say) my "network" of cell phone buddies at the game. Lucas Luetge and Heath Koneshek locked up in a duel where neither would give in. If I'm not mistaken, each gave up 2 or 3 hits. According to the official scorer, the lone run of the game was unearned, coming on an error by the 2B. Congrats to Luc for stepping up and going the distance, and recording the shutout, and congrats to Heath from Sealy for what must have been a gem for the underdog Tigers. I knew they were a different team with him on the mound.

Hats off to the Columbus Cardinals as well for ignoring the underdog label and knocking off the red-hot Rattlers. Don't have any details on this game. I knew Columbus could match up with them, I believe the Cards out-hit the Rattlers in their last meeting. As I stated, I thought the Cards were done early in the season, but they stuck with it, and clawed their way into the dance.

Bellville will enjoy a much needed bye to heal some wounds. Bryant didn't play again tonight, and the older Buenger has a touch of the flu I believe. They finish district play 9-1. They have several players with quite a bit of playoff experience. Pitching depth could be a problem for the Bulls.

Navasota finished 8-2. They're the kind of team that can do some things in the playoffs if they can get the bats back. They're very scrappy, and can find different ways to score runs. The biggest upside for them is their very deep pitching staff. I think Coach Rangel (sp?) can comfortably go 6 or 7 deep. That's key for a run.

Columbus enters with a 6-4 record, 2-3 after the first round. Can't tell you much about the Cards.

Again, congrats to the Bulls for another District Crown, and best of luck to all 3 of these teams in the playoffs.
Congratulations Brahmas!
Nice district rundown and more.:clap:
Good luck in the playoffs!!:) :clap:

ROY
04-30-2004, 09:09 AM
The Rattlers got 5 hits in their first Shutout defeat of the season. Janek (sp?) kept them off balance and the 789 hitters struck out 2 times each. Columbus got 9 hits in little bursts and they also made a couple of great defensive plays on for sure RBI hits. The Rattlers just got out played tonight. First time in the four losses that it seemed the other team wanted it more. Well, hats off to the Brahmas for stepping it up in their game. They should go at least 3-4 rounds deep in that bracket. Maybe Buenger can pitch a little more to help the depth. I still honestly can't believe that Bryant is still hurt from that collision, but I really do hope that he heals up for Bellville's playoff run. Navasota finished a good district run. I'm ready to watch some serious playoffs. They play Giddings first round who won their last district game to clinch 3rd place. I feel sorry for Giddings, because the Rattlers are going to come out of the corner swinging for a k.o. The kids are pretty ticked off and have something to prove with their next game. Winner of that round will play a good Barbers Hill team and winner of that round will probably play a very good La Grange team! I would really like to see Navasota play La Grange. That would be fun no matter the outcome. I'm now converting my bias to cheer on the Brahmas and the Cards. Both have great Head Coaches that carry their teams well.

Bellville22
04-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by ROY
I'm now converting my bias to cheer on the Brahmas and the Cards. Both have great Head Coaches that carry their teams well.

Thanks ROY, the playoffs tend to do that. So competitive during district play, but once the playoffs roll around, it's tough not to pull for your district. Best of luck to Navasota and Columbus as well. Who knows, if we both play well enough, maybe we can get that Bellville/Navasota rematch we wanted.

KL3
04-30-2004, 11:21 AM
This from the Bryan-College Station Eagle about last night's Navasota/Columbus game.......

Columbus 6, Navasota 0
Columbus 000 203 1 — 6 9 0
Navasota 000 000 0 — 0 5 1
Janak and Werland. Bradley Shiflett and Daniel Allen. W — Janak. L — Shiflett, 8-1.
Records: Navasota 22-4, 8-2 in 23-3A. Columbus 17-5, 6-4.
Notes — Navasota was denied a co-district championship with Bellville (18-6, 9-1), which beat Sealy, 1-0. Shiflett had 8 strikeouts.
Next — Navasota vs. Giddings in bi-district, TBA.

BrahmaMom
05-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Roy: You STILL don't believe Bryant was injured??? I'll ask the family if they'll give permission for the orthopedic surgeon they consulted to release a statement to that fact. He WAS injured and missed three games. Good Lord. The Brahmas appreciate your conversion and will be rooting for our district teams to continue on. We have three hardnosed teams to represent us and should go a ways. Good luck to all three teams!