PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Read this Article?

Ray_BearKat
04-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Has anyone heard about this...I read about it on ESPN.com but had to read it for myself. What do yall think?

For kaorder's sake I took the article off and have left the link:
Pat Tillman is not a hero: he got what he deserved (http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:e6Jz2zyqgcEJ:www.dailycollegian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/04/28/408f27f0591be?in_archive=1)

SintonFan
04-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Give me the link from espn.com.:mad:

Ray_BearKat
04-29-2004, 01:29 PM
UMass grad student: Tillman's not a hero (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1792200&partnersite=espn)

SintonFan
04-29-2004, 01:38 PM
OK, espn was talking about the uproar the opinion piece caused.
That op-ed, if you ask me, seeks to undermine and cheapen the reasons why folks join the armed forces.
What a horrific view to have for someone who just lost their life. Another example of the politicalization of this war. How could anyone defend this? Does this student have any sense????!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
FOR SHAME!!!!!!!

JasperDog94
04-29-2004, 02:08 PM
I can't believe what I just read.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

kaorder1999
04-29-2004, 02:15 PM
get this crap off this site please...

JasperDog94
04-29-2004, 02:15 PM
If you too can't believe what you just read, do what I did and go to the UMass website and email the editor of the paper and tell him what you think. Talk about unpatriotic. What a jerk!:mad: :mad:

kaorder1999
04-29-2004, 02:17 PM
i think this letter needs to be removed from this message board...there is no place here for that. The subject of this article has passed away and can in no way defend himself. The writer of that is totally classless and that article should not appear on this site...

kaorder1999
04-29-2004, 02:23 PM
put the link and let those who want to go read it read it...but i dont want to have to look at that idiots nameevery time i bring up this thread...the idiot who wrote that i mean of course

turbostud
04-29-2004, 02:54 PM
This article does not surprise me at all. This guy is from another country and is probably going to Umass on a scholarship. Using America for everything it stands for and at the same time bashing it. He would be singing a different tune if the US pulled everything it had out of PR. That country would implode within a year into a drug and disease ridden garbage dump. I have been to PR numerous times and the only thing holding it together is the good ole United States of America. LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT.

turbostud
04-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Statement of UMass President Jack M. Wilson

concerning Pat Tillman

Thanks to Pat Tillman and the many other men and women who have fought and died for our freedom, Americans enjoy many rights, including the right to speak and write as they see fit. Because of that right, we can voice thoughtful, well-reasoned opinions, but the freedom of speech that we treasure also protects expressions that are odious, wrong-headed and vile.

While I recognize Rene Gonzalez's right of free speech, I must also assert my right of free speech to criticize what he said. The comments of Rene Gonzalez in the April 28 Daily Collegian are a disgusting, arrogant and intellectually immature attack on a human being who died in service to his country. We are fortunate that so many people like Pat Tillman have made the sacrifices necessary to protect the free speech rights of Mr. Gonzalez, myself and our fellow citizens.

It is Mr. Gonzalez's right to be wrong, as he is in this case. It is a right that Pat Tillman and many others have fought to defend. Mr. Gonzalez owes Pat Tillman a debt of gratitude and an apology to the Tillman family and friends.

Old Dog
04-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Just think, that "jack---" reaps the right to speak out in this country against the very type of person who died giving it to him!

There are times in life that even if you don't agree.... to "keep your foolish mouth shut"!

I love UM Pres. Wilson's comment about the young man's "right to be wrong"...

ej2525
04-29-2004, 03:33 PM
I would love to get my hands on that little :foul: , *&%$, #$%* and give him a piece of my right fist!! Little ungrateful prick!! :flamingma :flamingma :foul: :mad: :mad:

That just burns me up!!!

JasperDog94
04-29-2004, 03:49 PM
ha ha ha ha...the college press website has crashed...ha ha ha ha...serves 'em right.

Good job to the president of the university for having the guts to say what he did. He could have slid aside and said nothing, but he came out and said what every right-thinking American was thinking. Kudos to the president of UMass.:clap: :clap: :clap:

JasperDog94
04-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
Has anyone heard about this...I read about it on ESPN.com but had to read it for myself. What do yall think?

Pat Tillman is not a hero: he got what he deserved (http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:e6Jz2zyqgcEJ:www.dailycollegian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/04/28/408f27f0591be?in_archive=1)
Classy move Ray.:)

kaorder1999
04-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat

ray_bearcat....sorry if it sounded like i was coming down on you...not my intention at all. I'm glad you posted it because I would not have known about it if you hadn't

crzyjournalist03
04-29-2004, 05:12 PM
uggh...so wrong on so many levels. Apparantly this guy doesn't realize that he's lucky to live in a nation where he's not required to fight whether he wants to or not...he must have slept through all of his history classes in school. He talks about how different things would be in his "home" land of Puerto Rico...does the guy realize that Puerto Rico is a possession of the US and will probably become the 51st state???

And on top of how faulty his opinion is, it isn't even journalistic. If he wanted to make a point, one of the first rules in editorial writing is that if you wish to disprove something, you must provide an alternative. Therefore, in order to even receive credit as a journalist, he should have backed up his discrediting of Tillman as a hero with a definition of what a REAL hero is...which he failed to do...I just want to ask this guy, if soldiers aren't heros, then what exactly is a hero???

crzyjournalist03
04-29-2004, 05:15 PM
on a brighter note, I just read this article, one that shows even our armed forces consider Tillman a hero.

Tillman promoted (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-tillman-promotion&prov=ap&type=lgns)

spiveyrat
04-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Rene??? What a sissy-boy! Off with his head!!!:evilgrin:

SintonFan
04-29-2004, 07:18 PM
This guy has every right to make his less than honorable opinion be known. It's up to the rest of us to set him straight.:) :clap: :cool:

SintonFan
04-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Statement of UMass President Jack M. Wilson

concerning Pat Tillman

Thanks to Pat Tillman and the many other men and women who have fought and died for our freedom, Americans enjoy many rights, including the right to speak and write as they see fit. Because of that right, we can voice thoughtful, well-reasoned opinions, but the freedom of speech that we treasure also protects expressions that are odious, wrong-headed and vile.

While I recognize Rene Gonzalez's right of free speech, I must also assert my right of free speech to criticize what he said. The comments of Rene Gonzalez in the April 28 Daily Collegian are a disgusting, arrogant and intellectually immature attack on a human being who died in service to his country. We are fortunate that so many people like Pat Tillman have made the sacrifices necessary to protect the free speech rights of Mr. Gonzalez, myself and our fellow citizens.

It is Mr. Gonzalez's right to be wrong, as he is in this case. It is a right that Pat Tillman and many others have fought to defend. Mr. Gonzalez owes Pat Tillman a debt of gratitude and an apology to the Tillman family and friends.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It was like a salve on a sore wound.:)

3afan2K3
04-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Here is a pic of Rene

http://uvmdudeman.com/rene.jpg

seriously that is him, heres his website

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jbcp/rene.html

3afan2K3
04-29-2004, 07:59 PM
There is some other info on this message board post

http://www.mavtalk.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001395

about 25 post down is his phone # and email

JasperDog94
04-29-2004, 08:20 PM
His homepage has been shut down as well...:D :D :D

3afan2K3
04-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
His homepage has been shut down as well...:D :D :D
Works for me

vfunk
04-29-2004, 08:44 PM
F Rene and F everything he stands for...

SintonFan
04-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by 3afan2K3
Here is a pic of Rene

http://uvmdudeman.com/rene.jpg

seriously that is him, heres his website

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jbcp/rene.html
That can't be a real pic. Just look at that Jimmy Carter smile.
:D :D :D
jus havin some fun...

slpybear the bullfan
04-29-2004, 08:57 PM
This Rene Gonzales is an example of all that is good about America... And all that is bad that America must tolerate....

This guy is just another weed.

turbostud
04-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Here is his email address:
rene@student.umass.edu
Got it from another site and sent an email.

SintonFan
04-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
This Rene Gonzales is an example of all that is good about America... And all that is bad that America must tolerate....

This guy is just another weed.
slpybear, I shuddered when I read your knew signature. WOW!
A powerful statement!
:)

JasperDog94
04-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
slpybear, I shuddered when I read your knew signature. WOW!
A powerful statement!
:)
I just noticed it also. Very powerful stuff indeed.

pinecone
04-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ej2525
I would love to get my hands on that little :foul: , *&%$, #$%* and give him a piece of my right fist!! Little ungrateful prick!! :flamingma :flamingma :foul: :mad: :mad:

That just burns me up!!!
Way to go ej2525!!!:clap: Where do you get those graphic icons?

3afan2K3
04-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by pinecone
Way to go ej2525!!!:clap: Where do you get those graphic icons?
When you make a reply, look at the left of the screen at those icons and click get more.