PDA

View Full Version : Political threads

sinton66
04-28-2004, 07:25 AM
I want everybody to know that I don't have anything against political threads. I would encourage them if a few ground rules can be established. I like the idea of limiting to one political topic per day. There must be boundaries that you simply do not cross for the discussions to remain civil. If you folks can do this and keep a decent amount of respect for your fellow posters' intelligence and opinion, then go ahead. However, let me forewarn you, if I see anybody referring to the other side as "communist" or "facist/Nazi", I'm going to rom people for it. That sort of remark does nothing but incite anger and resentment.

We can use this thread to establish the ground rules if you want.

Sans Couth
04-28-2004, 07:32 AM
What self respecting Facsist Nazi would share bulletin board time with any Communist?:D

Sorry, Just couldn't resist.

kaorder1999
04-28-2004, 09:16 AM
why dont you make it easy and just say NO POLITICAL POSTS....hehe. I know its not football season but their are plenty of other things to talk about.

JasperDog94
04-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Good call 66.

sinton66
04-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
why dont you make it easy and just say NO POLITICAL POSTS....hehe. I know its not football season but their are plenty of other things to talk about.

Well, I sort of did that without saying so when I quashed the last two. I've since heard several say they still want to be able to discuss politics. I don't have a problem with that, BUT we need to establish some ground rules. If the posters on here can come up with rules that will keep the discussions fair and civil, I'm all for it. But, if they get out of hand, I'm going to step in and some folks aren't gonna like the results. Everybody is going to have to realize that moderators can have opinions on these things too, and are just as welcome as anyone else to voice them. But, just for the benefit of one or two on here, I will not have my integrity or any other moderator's integrity drawn into question over this stuff. Baseless accusations will also draw harsh results.

JasperDog94
04-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Geeze 66, it's like you want to hold us accountable for what we say or something...:p :p

AggieJohn
04-28-2004, 03:22 PM
yeah imagine that

Old Cardinal
04-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Maybe we could just tell political jokes and not enter into dialogue conflicts on the board. I enjoy good clean jokes!

slpybear the bullfan
04-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Sinton66, et al... here are my thoughts...

I love to discuss politics, foreign relations, history, you name it. But like almost every other board I have seen, you cannot talk politics without a zealout, fanatic, or unreasonable poster interjecting himself into the thread. I like to think of this board this way...

A group of friends who are together at a party. Some of them I know real well. Others, I recognize, but don't know them extrememly well. I enjoy talking to all of them... some of them I naturally am more comfortable with or know better. So... I walk around all the little conversations going on. Some I don't participate in... I just enjoy listening in. Others, I jump right in and gab away. And other conversations are going on where folks are diagreeing. And believe it or not, I enjoy those to. At least, as long as they are civilized. Because as soon as someone starts raising their voice, insulting my friends or guests, becoming unreasonable, or generally just trying to stir the pot, then they can be asked to leave the party. They stick out like a sore thumb... no one wants to talk to them and they enjoy the angst...

I think of the 3A Down Low the same exact way. This is a group of friends who can come together and have different conversations (threads) going on. I like to drop in on different ones, participate in different ones, etc. Including politics.

But, I don't want this to turn into just another internet debate website for all the typical BS you can find all over the place. When the conversations repeatedly degenerate from educated discussions into "I HATE so and so" and "THIS PARTY IS IDIOTS" and "So and So is the Devil and is ruining the Country"... well, I would just as soon not discuss it. When unreasonable parties engage in discussions pretty soon no one is discussing anything. And that is a whipping of gigantic proportions.

So, my vote is end all political discussions. They start off great on here... and soon turn into just another beating. I will miss them... but I also have a lot of folks on here I can visit in a chat room or PM to discuss those items.

with my best regards,

AggieJohn
04-28-2004, 07:51 PM
i agree..we often get those way wacko far liberals and those guys that are so far right that they're leftist in here and it makes this board look bad because they rile us up....most of us are moderates overall..

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I too think that political threads should be brought to an end. It causes a lot of tension in between posters, and we have seen this before. I think that it would be easier to stop before it is started.

Old Tiger
04-28-2004, 08:58 PM
^^^^^ big trouble maker...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-28-2004, 09:03 PM
ME? :confused:

sinton66
04-28-2004, 09:11 PM
AHEM, folks. I said I would go for it ONLY if some ground rules could be established. (We're saying the same things here guys.)

Old Tiger
04-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
ME? :confused: No, the guy who post under big blue defensive end:evillaugh :thumbsup:

slpybear the bullfan
04-28-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
AHEM, folks. I said I would go for it ONLY if some ground rules could be established. (We're saying the same things here guys.)

I hear ya, '66... I hear ya...

I think we save ourselves a lot of trouble just saying politics are off limits. If they aren't off limits and you want ground rules, then I think we will wind up spending a lot of time playing ROM COP. But, if that is the need, so be it.

If we need to vote, I say no. If we need ground rules, I say anyone that gets personal gets ROM'd. Any thread that goes too far off topic gets closed.

Just my $.02 friends....

AggieJohn
04-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
No, the guy who post under big blue defensive end:evillaugh :thumbsup:
owned