PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Collins coming to the Cowboys???

crzyjournalist03
04-27-2004, 03:25 PM
The New York Daily News is reporting that with Kerry Collins being told he will be released within the next few days, a few teams have already contacted his agent. One of the teams named was the Dallas Cowboys. Collins said he wants to go somewhere and be a starter, but he's not sure if that's possible right now. With his ties to Dallas coach Sean Payton, it's easy to see a connection for him. What is everybody's thoughts about Kerry Collins coming to Dallas to compete for the starting job with Quincy Carter? If it happens, that would probably mean the end of Chad Hutchinson, and would also guarantee that Drew Henson wouldn't see a snap in the NFL this year.

PI-fan
04-27-2004, 03:29 PM
like the jeff garcia qb situation awhile ago... J.Jones might want Collins , but Parcells wants to go after Testaverde. :confused:

SintonFan
04-27-2004, 06:43 PM
If Collins can still compete, I'd be excited if he was a Cowboy. Unfortunately, I didn't see much from him the last couple of years. He lost his starting job last year or the year before? Doesn't matter because he might not have much left to help a team out with. Of course, he'd HAVE to be better than Chad.:thinking:

Old Tiger
04-27-2004, 06:47 PM
i don't like collins

crzyjournalist03
04-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
If Collins can still compete, I'd be excited if he was a Cowboy. Unfortunately, I didn't see much from him the last couple of years. He lost his starting job last year or the year before? Doesn't matter because he might not have much left to help a team out with. Of course, he'd HAVE to be better than Chad.:thinking:

I don't remember Collins losing his job but I could be wrong...now I do remember him getting hurt recently, maybe that's what you're thinking...either way, I've never been a Collins fan and would much rather see Kurt Warner as our QB next season, but I think Quincy can continue to improve and maybe things will work out with him.

JasperDog94
04-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
...but I think Quincy can continue to improve and maybe things will work out with him.
hahahahahahaha....oh, you were serious?:doh:

sinton66
04-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Quincy can continue to improve and maybe things will work out with him.

Quincy's only hope would be to get Polysemus' help in kicking his "suck" curse.:D

SintonFan
04-27-2004, 11:07 PM
I don't remember Collins losing his job but I could be wrong...now I do remember him getting hurt recently, maybe that's what you're thinking...either way, I've never been a Collins fan and would much rather see Kurt Warner as our QB next season, but I think Quincy can continue to improve and maybe things will work out with him.
Good point, but I'd rather see Quincy as a the second or third string. Also, maybe if I was my reliving my worst surgury I'd wan't Quincy in my court too!;)
<shameless 70's sitcom plug>:p

spiveyrat
04-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by PI-fan
like the jeff garcia qb situation awhile ago... J.Jones might want Collins , but Parcells wants to go after Testaverde. :confused:

Testaverde??? He's too old! No sense in bringing in a quarterback who's shelf life is almost or already expired.

JasperDog94
04-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Quincy's only hope would be to get Polysemus' help in kicking his "suck" curse.:D
LOL!:D :D :clap: :clap:

AggieJohn
04-28-2004, 04:06 PM
dallas has more qb's than the old snes game

SintonFan
04-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by explayer2001
dallas has more qb's than the old snes game
Just like those old games none of them are any good.

crzyjournalist03
04-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Jerry Jones told the DMN today that the Cowboys are interested in Collins, and that they have more respect for him than any other club. He said the Cowboys will probably bring in a veteran QB, but reiterated that Quincy Carter is the starter for the Cowboys.

JasperDog94
04-29-2004, 03:54 PM
... but reiterated that Quincy Carter is the starter for the Cowboys.
What's the over/under on Carter this year for number of starts?

CRHSeagle
04-29-2004, 07:24 PM
I honestly think Quicny isn't that bad. Even John Elway didnt put up that great of numbers his first years. If he dont make some sort of improvement this year with a decent running back, then Id change my mind. Imagine what Marino would do if he had Ricky Williams in his backfield. Once the Broncos got Terrel Davis, the won back to back Super Bowls. As for Collins, the Cowboys need some sort of veteran leadership to mold these young qb's I dont expect to see the veteran they sign for no more than 2 or 3 years on this roster.

SintonFan
04-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
What's the over/under on Carter this year for number of starts?
:D :D :D
*snicker*

SintonFan
04-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Reported by ESPN.com:
Thursday, April 29, 2004

Jerry Jones impressed with Collins
ESPN.com news services
Kerry Collins is no longer a member of the New York Giants. Could he end up with one of their bitter rivals?

Jerry Jones, Bill Parcells and the Dallas Cowboys reportedly would consider adding Collins.

Dallas has Quincy Carter, who was the starter last season. The Cowboys have Drew Henson, who is their starter of the future, and they also have Chad Hutchinson. Collins, 31, could be a good option to bridge the gap between Carter and Henson.

"I think, for sure, you have to give that a look because we have a lot of respect for him," Jones told the New York Times. "He's beaten us more than we've beaten him. ... No organization would have more respect for him than us."

Collins, 31, who helped the Giants get the 2001 Super Bowl, likely will draw interest from many teams.

Another NFC team, the Cardinals, says it has no interest in Collins, vice president of football operations Rod Graves said. Graves denied a published report that the Cardinals have contacted Collins' agent.

Collins refused to renegotiate his Giants contact, leading to his release. He was to earn $7 million this season and count $8.95 million against the salary cap. "I figured there was no reason to hang around," Collins told The Associated Press.

The Giants have said they will sign a veteran quarterback who might start the season to pave the way for Manning. The Mississippi quarterback was taken by the San Diego Chargers with the first overall pick in the draft and shipped to New York.

"Kerry Collins played his heart out for the Giants and took us to the Super Bowl," general manager Ernie Accorsi said.

"Unfortunately, the economics of the system we work in today determine these most difficult decisions," Accorsi added.

Collins revived a career beset by troubles on and off the field after signing with the Giants in 1999. He became the starter halfway through that season, then led New York to its third Super Bowl the following season.

The Giants also made the playoffs in 2002.

Collins is second on the team's career list with 1,447 completions, trailing only Phil Simms. He is third in pass attempts (2,473) and passing yards (16,875), behind only Simms and Charlie Conerly in both categories. Collins' 81 TD passes rank fifth on the Giants' career list.

Neil O'Donnell has drawn interest from the Giants as a replacement to Collins and backup/tutor/mentor to Manning. According to the New York Post, the Giants inquired about O'Donnell last weekend in the hours after trading for Manning.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Isn't O'Donnel like 50 or something?
:confused:

JasperDog94
04-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Isn't O'Donnel like 50 or something?
:confused:
I'm not sure, but I think his grandson is going to be in the draft next year...

SintonFan
04-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'm not sure, but I think his grandson is going to be in the draft next year...
LOL
Well, if he's(Sr.) good enough for the Giants he's great for the Cowboys!:D