PDA

View Full Version : Official West Texas Smack Talk Thread

vet93
04-27-2004, 09:10 AM
We need to start the smack talk early this year! We have had a really good start so far with the talk about the regional track meet and next years top 20. Let me start with some jabs to get things started:

1) Mean Machine....I watched Snyder play last year (football) and they have some good kids. However, I have been rather dissapointed in Snyder's inconsistency over the past couple of years. It seems they take off a few games and not play to their potential. Are we going to see them step up to the plate and challenge Wylie and Sweetwater this year or settle for mediocrity?
2) Lobo12....With a coach with the pedigree that Coach Hanna has...how come the loboes have not been more successful and consistent. Monahans has a decent enrollment...I would have expected a much stronger showing over the past few years...especially with the tradition that monahans has. What's the scoop?
3) Greenwood could have a tough year...I think that a lot of teams in their district will be gunning for the Rangers this year (hoping that they will have a down year). As of right now... I can't put them in the same class with Sweetwater, Wylie or even Snyder. Greenwoodbro....convince me that they are a top 20 team.
4) West Texas Coach...is Pecos finally going to get off of the Snide and have a quality team that reflects their enrollment. Enrollment wise...they should be much better than they are. What are your thoughts as to why they have been underachievers...is it attitude, lack of participation?
5) Who wins between Wylie/Snyder/Sweetwater? I think that it it a tossup between Wylie and Sweetwater with Snyder taking the third spot.

CatWoman
04-27-2004, 09:22 AM
The only one I have a feeling about is Wylie. I see them winning district and going very deep in the playoffs, perhaps even all the way. They were very good last year and have a lot returning, plus they always have a good group move up from JV and "blossom" into great players. Sweetwater shouldn't be far behind though. IMHO

vet93
04-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Catwoman...I agree about Wylie being salty. I think that next year Case Keenum will really come into his own. It was apparent that Coach Sandifer was being very cautious about trying to do too much with Case since he was only a sophomore. I think that they will really open the offense up more next year and utilize Case as a double threat (run and pass).

CatWoman
04-27-2004, 09:32 AM
I was going to mention Keenum, but his name just wouldn't come to me. Too bad Coach Keenum didn't hang around Ballinger long enough for Case to be leading the CATS!

Ranger Mom
04-27-2004, 09:39 AM
HeHe....this oughta be interesting!!

I think I am gonna just sit back and watch the fur fly!!:p

vet93
04-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Mean Machine thinks that he (Keenum) will only be the 3rd best quarterback in district next year. :eek:

CatWoman
04-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by vet93
Mean Machine thinks that he (Keenum) will only be the 3rd best quarterback in district next year. :eek:

Ha ha haaaa.

lobo12
04-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Vet93 where are you from?

heck
04-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Well its been a while but I like this topic so I will chime in. Regarding Sweetwater, they will be much weaker on defense but that may be good enough. The Mustang defense was just awsome last year and it pretty much carried the offense. Ask Merkel, Graham, Kermit and the likes. But that was last year. Sweetwater had little trouble with Wylie and Snyder even though the Mustangs lost their starting QB (for Snyder) and the same QB had a gimpy knee for Wylie.

Offensively the Mustangs will be as good as last year with a small but good offensive line and a good fullback. Young and untested running backs (sophs) will be the wildcards. If they step up this season, Sweetwater will win district. If not, they may be playing for third. QB's are fair and receivers will be way down from last year. But, Sweetwater will run, run and then run some more so most teams stack the box and ignore the pass anyway. Offensive team speed will be plus.

Just from what I saw last year, Wylie and Snyder teams will be as good if not better while Sweetwater overall will be a bit weaker. But, I see Wylie and Sweetwater battling for the first spot and Snyder making the playoffs by virtue of a talented group but just not enough hosses to top the other two.

vet93
04-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Lobo...I am from Ballinger. I spent some time in Andrews when I was younger so I have a great deal of respect for the tradition of Monahans. I also have alot of respect for coach Hanna based on his history and from some of the people I know that have coached with him or against him. Do not take offense based on my question....just a topic starter and I think a valid question for the Monahans players/fans.

Originally posted by lobo12
Vet93 where are you from?

lobo12
04-27-2004, 11:00 AM
no offense taken at all i was just wondering because you profile just said west texas and what was the question again?

Mean_Machine
04-27-2004, 11:00 AM
We need to start the smack talk early this year! We have had a really good start so far with the talk about the regional track meet and next years top 20. Let me start with some jabs to get things started:

1) Mean Machine....I watched Snyder play last year (football) and they have some good kids. However, I have been rather dissapointed in Snyder's inconsistency over the past couple of years.
Inconsistency for the past couple of years? District champs in 2002 and state quarterfinalist in 2003. You been watching the 7th graders play for snyder or what? Snyder will beat wylie this year and sweetwater. IF wylie takes care of business they can get that third spot but if Clyde kicks your butts this year AGAIN your going to be out with your overated QB:D

lobo12
04-27-2004, 11:02 AM
mean machine thats just like you saying monahans hasnt been any good the past couple of years. we were district champs in 03 and quarterfinalists in 02

Mean_Machine
04-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Lobo12 Monahans has been good the last few years no doubt. I never said they were not a good team. I also never said they were inconsisten the last couple of years. Monahans has been very good in district play.

lobo12
04-27-2004, 11:14 AM
you know mean machine after watching the past couple of years its probably better to go into the first round against each other as the district runner up and visiting team lol

Ranger Mom
04-27-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm just anxious to see what we do this year. We have some talent returning and several promising JVers to fill some spots.....other than that, I am just clueless as to what kind of team we will be.

I know the heart is there and wish I could be as confident as Greenwood Bro....but at this point, I just can't!!

The thought of having to play Ballinger, Abilene Wylie, Sweetwater, Snyder and Andrews before district (especially after listening to talk on this board) almost makes me sick with worry and then again, so darn excited for it to be here that I can hardly stand it!!
:D :D

lobo12
04-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Ranger Mom i think that Greenwood will have a solid team this year, but i know that they did lose a strong senior class. They sure were good ive been dealing with them since 7th grade.

vet93
04-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Now...Now...Do you really think that Clyde is going to beat Wylie? Clyde graduated a very talented senior class this year. They will be in a rebuilding mode along with Merkel. Snyder's main inconsistencies came during the regular season. There were several teams I expected Snyder to dominate and they didn't seem to show up. I don't know if I would brag too much about "long" runs in the playoffs...the western half of the DI bracket has been filled with weak sister teams over the past 4 years or so. Without exception...as soon as they play one of the teams from the eastern half of the bracket they are one and done. Usually eliminated by either Abilene Wylie or Everman (now replaced by Gainesville). Of late, the DII bracket has been much much more competitive.

Originally posted by Mean_Machine
Inconsistency for the past couple of years? District champs in 2002 and state quarterfinalist in 2003. You been watching the 7th graders play for snyder or what? Snyder will beat wylie this year and sweetwater. IF wylie takes care of business they can get that third spot but if Clyde kicks your butts this year AGAIN your going to be out with your overated QB:D

Mean_Machine
04-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Now...Now...Do you really think that Clyde is going to beat Wylie? Clyde graduated a very talented senior class this year. They will be in a rebuilding mode along with Merkel. Snyder's main inconsistencies came during the regular season. There were several teams I expected Snyder to dominate and they didn't seem to show up. I don't know if I would brag too much about "long" runs in the playoffs...the western half of the DI bracket has been filled with weak sister teams over the past 4 years or so. Without exception...as soon as they play one of the teams from the eastern half of the bracket they are one and done. Usually eliminated by either Abilene Wylie or Everman (now replaced by Gainesville). Of late, the DII bracket has been much much more competitive. This year should be sweet:D Its going to be good to see some eat Crow.:kiss:

lobo12
04-27-2004, 12:27 PM
anyone from sweetwater, i think sweetwater's qb is kendall carillo if im not mistaken, how does he compare to his brother mychael?

oh well
04-27-2004, 01:01 PM
Carrillo is good not sure he will be the QB might be Thompson he can run if he gets the corner he is gone against anyone east or west. It is good to have competition at the position. Sweetwaters team speed should be a plus. Vet which games did you exspect Snyder to blow people out? If they are inconsistant it must be coaching right

vet93
04-27-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't know if I can pin inconsistency on coaching or not. Sometimes you just get a group of kids that cannont play at a high level as consistently despite what the coach does to motivate. I thought that they should have played much better against a young Wylie team at the beginning of the season. Especially since wylie was starting a soph. at quarterback and only had two returning starters. They followed that game with a lackluster game against a beat up Greenwood team. Both games they should have been fired up for. In district, they played a ho-hum game against Seminole and Brownfield gave them more of a game than I thought they should have in the playoffs. The year before, I think they really tanked things at the end of the season. Losing to Denver City and Monahans. Both games I thought they would win easily. I think that most people expected more out of Snyder since they dropped. I know that I had them penciled in to challenge for the regional title in 2002. I was a little more cautious last year in my predictions and they ended up about where you would expect.

Originally posted by oh well
Carrillo is good not sure he will be the QB might be Thompson he can run if he gets the corner he is gone against anyone east or west. It is good to have competition at the position. Sweetwaters team speed should be a plus. Vet which games did you exspect Snyder to blow people out? If they are inconsistant it must be coaching right

heck
04-27-2004, 02:27 PM
Sweetwater QB's will be alright next year. Thompson is fast, real fast, and he will be a SR. with nearly an entire year of playing behind him. Carrillo will be a Jr. and had to be pressed into service during the playoffs when Thompson went down. Carillo hasn't played a lot of QB either. Carrillo hasn't near the speed but can throw a "little" better than Thompson. Carillo can run in traffic better than Thompson too. Next years soph. class is loaded with all kinds of talent. If its developed Sweetwater could be formidable. There will be a soph qb next year that will be as good as the two upper classmen in talent but not enough pt time be considered a starter.

I can't tell you which one will start. Not sure the coaches even know yet. But, QB will not be an area of concern if all stay healthy. Like I said in an earlier post, its the defense that will have to gel after loosing 8-9 starters.

oh well
04-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Vet I know you are a snyder fan or at least a west texas fan. Where do you pick them next year. They did not finish the season well in 2002 and they should have beet Wylie the 1st time in 2003. If they can play at a high level and stay there I know they have the talent to be very good next year. The team that wins this district could go a long ways.

Wylie will still be the big school. Add Gainsville in the Region and it could be interesting. Wylie has a lot of linemen to replace and a very good tailback. Have seen their JV and you can not tell what Coach Sandifer can do when they get to Varsity.

Sweetwater very fast athletic Sop class next year with East Texas Speed. The could be the fastest team in West Texas 3A. I agree there Defense will have to be reloaded. The have a very intellegent coaching staff that gets their athletes ready to play. It should be interesting every friday night. What are the chances of Sweetwater & Snyder meeting in the playoffs that would be interesting. I would have to go see that one. Where would they play Lubb. or San Angelo

vet93
04-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Oh well....I am more of a west texas fan than a Snyder fan. I am certainly not a Snyder hater either. I agree about Snyder having some good kids. I was impressed in warm-up with the sophomore kid who was playing quarterback (he didn't start though). Snyder could have a more explosive offensive in the passing game next year with that guy. I can certainly see why there is optimism in Tiger-land. This could be the year that Snyder gets over the hump and really fields a contender. I think that you are right about this district. The three teams that make the playoffs will be the favorites in the western half of the bracket. They will not likely be challenged until they meet some of the teams from the east (Vernon, Graham, Gainesville, Pilot Point, Decatur and possibly Carrollton Ranchview). All of these teams play very tough non-district schedules and it should be a shootout in district. The three teams should be well-prepared for the playoffs. Back to the Sweetwater speed, I think that it will make up for a lack of returning starters on defense. Speed kills, especially when you can swarm the ball on defense. I look for Sweetwater to be very competitive and might be better than last year. I have a lot of faith in coach Jackson and his staff. Wylie should be better than last year if they can replace their linemen. Remember, Sandifer teams generally start relatively slow and don't hit their stride until later in the season. Because of the difficulty of their district, they had better not wait so long to get rolling. However, it is probably a moot point because Wylie would be large school regardless of the outcome unless Merkel or Clyde pull the upset.

Originally posted by oh well
Vet I know you are a snyder fan or at least a west texas fan. Where do you pick them next year. They did not finish the season well in 2002 and they should have beet Wylie the 1st time in 2003. If they can play at a high level and stay there I know they have the talent to be very good next year. The team that wins this district could go a long ways.

Wylie will still be the big school. Add Gainsville in the Region and it could be interesting. Wylie has a lot of linemen to replace and a very good tailback. Have seen their JV and you can not tell what Coach Sandifer can do when they get to Varsity.

Sweetwater very fast athletic Sop class next year with East Texas Speed. The could be the fastest team in West Texas 3A. I agree there Defense will have to be reloaded. The have a very intellegent coaching staff that gets their athletes ready to play. It should be interesting every friday night. What are the chances of Sweetwater & Snyder meeting in the playoffs that would be interesting. I would have to go see that one. Where would they play Lubb. or San Angelo

wildstangs
04-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Mean Machine...I heard from someone the other day that this last year was the first time Snyder had made it past round one of the playoffs in about a decade? Is that true? I agree with a lot of the thoughts already stated. Sweetwater should have top speed and depth at the QB position but will have to rebuild one of the best defenses in the West. Wylie will be tough as always. I dont think Clyde will catch them off guard for another ten years or so. I think they will end up playing Gainesville in the Region 1 Final. Greenwood will need to replace a lot, but still should win their district. Its going to be interesting between Sweetwater, Snyder, Wylie and Merkel. I wouldn't count Merkel out of that third playoff spot yet. I know they have lost a lot, but they have a tremendous QB coming back in Riley Lambert. I have said it many times already, if you only have one starter coming back, he is the type you want. I wont be surprised at all if Merkel upsets one of the big three next year.

Greenwoodbro
04-27-2004, 08:10 PM
All i know is that i love watching Greenwood vs. Sweetwater, they r always exciting. Yeah Greenwood does need a lot of rebuilding especiall at Qb, but i dont wanna jinks them so i will just wait and see. Cant ever be overconfident, it will bite u. Enough of talking crap we find out here soon. Greenwoods D will be good this year.

wildstangs
04-27-2004, 08:26 PM
I havent liked the Sweetwater - Greenwood series the last few years. :mad: Had some great games, just didnt turn out good for us, maybe this year will be our turn. Another game like the 2000 season would be great :)

VERNONLION#1
04-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Hey Vet93, What are your thoughts about Clyde and we are familiar with Wylie. We play both in non-District this year. Also, the schedule shows a scrimmage with Ballinger. Time and Date to be announced. Looks like some good football games early on. I can't wait.

wildstangs
04-27-2004, 09:01 PM
I know you asked Vet93, but I will go ahead and state my opinion...I am sure he wont mind :) I think Clyde will be very weak this year. They lost a great group of seniors, or what we thought was great. They beat Wylie in the first week of district then managed to miss the playoffs.

VERNONLION#1
04-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I know you asked Vet93, but I will go ahead and state my opinion...I am sure he wont mind :) I think Clyde will be very weak this year. They lost a great group of seniors, or what we thought was great. They beat Wylie in the first week of district then managed to miss the playoffs. I think we will be OK. We Lost some good Seniors but we also have a very good group coming back. We play Wylie and then a couple of weeks later we play Clyde. We will have 4 new coaches this next year but I don't think that will hurt us. Also, I will ask you. Is Clyde east of Abilene? Thanks for sharing your thoughts look forward to talking with everyone as the season gets closer.

wildstangs
04-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Yeah about 10 miles or so East on I20. What day are yall playing Clyde? I might have to go out to that one. Better get there early, last time I was at Clyde their visitors side bleachers looked like something you would see at a 1A school.

Ranger Mom
04-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I havent liked the Sweetwater - Greenwood series the last few years. :mad: Had some great games, just didnt turn out good for us, maybe this year will be our turn. Another game like the 2000 season would be great :)

BOO....HISS!!!!!:foul: :flamingma :mad:

VWG
04-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Vernon has some horses in the backfield coming back and should reload for next year. They will have to replace some key seniors that left. All Dist defensive back, great big tight end, as well as some others. The good thing about the Lions is that they got their old mojo back after making that deep run in the playoffs last year. Vernon used to rule Region I in the 80's and early 90's, but I see the swagger back and that's a great thing for Region I.

I am very curious to see how WF Hirschi does in 3A. Long time 4A school with several talented athletes, but just never have put it all together for a good season. New coach, new attitude and with the athletes they have, who knows they could make somebody a tough first round opponent in D-1, Region I.

I look for Wylie to dominate. Too many kids to reload with. Sorry Sweetwater, Snyder, and the rest of that district but I see Sandifer winning this district outright. Keenum was good as a sophomore last year. He will be even better as a junior. They will find some kids to fill the spots and win about 8 to 9 games, ho-hum for Wylie. Then they can make a run in the playoffs.

Graham will be returning some good athletes, but should have a new QB to lead the team. Probably the sophomore they had who is extremely quick. Will have to plug some holes on the defensive side of the ball but offensively they return Dist. MVP in the backfield.

Sweetwater had an awesome bunch of freshman last year and I hope Jackson utilizes their speed. Sweetwater, in my opinion, should utilize these kids and open up their offense. Not get away from the running game but put some things in the mix to get these kids the ball and out into the open. If their defense can hang in there and mature by the time playoffs begin..... then Sweetwater should be poised for a good run.

With the new districts for next year... would a Sweetwater & Vernon first round matchup in the playoffs be awesome to see?!!

wildstangs
04-27-2004, 11:06 PM
VWG...Sweetwater and Vernon is the first round cant happen. We go back West again. Vernon will get someone from district 6..Pilot Point, Pottsboro, or Sanger.

Buffalo
04-27-2004, 11:23 PM
wild stang I am not mean machine but I do follow history. Snyder has only been past the 1st round 4 times in school history. Once was last year once in 1990 or so I believe they beat Sweetwater that year in Bi District not sure of the year though. Once in the 50 and once in 1938. Only 2 times in school history has a team won 2 rounds last year and 1990(?) I hope this answers your question. I know there is not enough room on the board to list all the years Sweetwater was in the playoffs I have seen the board at the bowl. By the way when is that going to be updated?

heck
04-28-2004, 08:05 AM
The top teams in Region 1 regardless of enrollment could be:

Vernon
Decatur
Carrolton Ranchview
Sweetwater
Wylie
Perryton

Vernon lost a little bit but have a lot coming back. The rest are just a guess I admit. Greenwood will certainly be down compared to the last few years but that will be good enough to take district. I like Wylie's chances simply because they always have talent and a lot of kids plus the likeihood of transfers. Sweetwater's best talent will be young and unpredictable. I don't agree that next years team will be better than this years team. Too much talent was lost from the defense: D-1 Defensive end all district, all west texas, all south plains, all big country cornerback and a helluva kick returner, all district safety, all everthing middle linebacker plus the supporting cast. I believe Decatur still has their qb and receiver so they will be dangerous. I am not sure but I think Perryton will be the class out of the panhandle unless Canyn has something. Don't think Snyder will be special but the larger school divisions were weak last year and could be again this year. Just rambling but this is one point of view.

Sweetwater will have to be able to throw the ball to go very deep in the playoffs. Every year they simply run into good teams that pack the box and stop the run. Sweetwater had great receivers last year but didn't utilize them. That may have been the difference in winning and loosing the Vernon game (not taking anything away from Vernon mind you!).

vet93
04-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Wildstangs beat me too the punch....and no I don't mind him answering for me. We are pretty much on the same page in regards to Clyde. Last year they had a great bunch of seniors and are losing them. They will be younger and not as talented athletically. I am rooting for Clyde to build a winner but it will be really difficult in the district that they have landed in. They will probably be Vernon's weakest non-distdrict opponent. But...you know as well as I do not to take anyone lightly...it will come back to bite you!! I don't share quite as much optimism about Merkel knocking off one of the big three as Wildstangs does. I agree that their qb is a dandy...but they will need to reload at a lot of positions. They lost a good running back and the Head brothers on the offensive and defensive lines. They have a lot to replace. However, Coach Flowers has done a great job with the program and it is not the Merkel of old. If they were in another district I would be much more optimistic about their playoff chances. In regards to Sweetwater I will defer to Heck....he is from there and has a better feel for the program than I do. However, I do have a lot of confidence in coach Jackson to exceed expectations. In regards to the panhandle...it seems like that Muleshoe is supposed to have a very strong young class coming up. They may surprise some people. You would think that Borger would field a strong team but have been a great dissapointment in 3a.

Originally posted by VERNONLION#1
Hey Vet93, What are your thoughts about Clyde and we are familiar with Wylie. We play both in non-District this year. Also, the schedule shows a scrimmage with Ballinger. Time and Date to be announced. Looks like some good football games early on. I can't wait.

Mean_Machine
04-28-2004, 09:44 AM
I have not herd much mentioned about Seminole or Lubbock cooper. they have been decent ( Seminole beat Monahans last year if Im not mistaken ) and Lubbock Cooper had a very good Frosh class last year. Does anyone think they could be contenders this year?

vet93
04-28-2004, 09:57 AM
Good question...I have heard that Seminole has some very talented underclassmen. It is either the freshman or sophomore class. It will be interesting to see what happens when the new coach gets his system going. It seems like someone told me he runs a spread offense but I can't remember. Greenwood has a very good class that will be freshmen next year. Many people there compare that class to the one that just graduated. I saw them play Sweetwater last year and they had some big kids and some skill position talent (especially at running back).

Originally posted by Mean_Machine
I have not herd much mentioned about Seminole or Lubbock cooper. they have been decent ( Seminole beat Monahans last year if Im not mistaken ) and Lubbock Cooper had a very good Frosh class last year. Does anyone think they could be contenders this year?

HighSchool Fan
04-28-2004, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by heck
[B]The top teams in Region 1 regardless of enrollment could be:

Vernon
Decatur
Carrolton Ranchview
Sweetwater
Wylie
Perryton

Where would you rank Gainesville in region 1?

lobo12
04-28-2004, 10:51 AM
seminole should have a good team next year. they are losing a lot of seniors but have a great running back returning. lubbock cooper should also have a great team. they have a strong senior class coming back and are returning their quarterback and reciever since their sophomore year

vet93
04-28-2004, 11:21 AM
I think that Heck forgot that Gainesville was moved to Region I.

Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
[QUOTE]Originally posted by heck
[B]The top teams in Region 1 regardless of enrollment could be:

Vernon
Decatur
Carrolton Ranchview
Sweetwater
Wylie
Perryton

Where would you rank Gainesville in region 1?

heck
04-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Your right regarding Gainsville. Forgot about that one. They will top the charts as well.

Lubbock Cooper always seem to disappoint me. I have friends there and they tell me they are growing. They should take on Wylie characteristics soon, that is lots of numbers and move ins. Baseball team is good and maybe the best in the Region, but somehow they never live up to their potential...can't say why.

I don't share Wildstangs estimate of Merkel either. They had their best class in a long while last year and they won't make the playoffs in football...but, rumor has it that they have another move in coming from Stephenville..stay tuned.

Clyde won't figure into the mix either as they too had their best class in a while graduate. But they have some young talent in the soph class moving up that could make some noise next year.

Seminole has made a big committment to football and they will begin to improve with new coaching. But not real fast. They will have some talent next year but watch for them in basketball before they make a big splash in football.

Don't know about Muleshoe or Littlefield.

Da Mules
04-28-2004, 09:13 PM
I can tell you about Seminole and Lubbock Cooper. This year's JV Mules have dominated both of those schools since they were in jr high. with the exception of this year; the Lubbock Cooper JV beat our JV Mules for the 1st time by 1 point. Fumble, interceptions, coulda shoulda woulda. Lubbock Cooper and Muleshoe will battle it out in district 2-3a. Unless Seminole JV improves drastically when they move to Friday nights, I respectfully don't look for an awful lot from them.
Muleshoe dropped off everybody's radar after 2001, and justifiably so.
So our JV team will be juniors this year. Probably have a sophomore QB, but he showed a lot of potential when he got thrown into the grinder last year as a freshman when the starter had a shoulder injury. Some very quick running backs coming up, but we don't have the big O-line of the past, darn it. Should have a good defense, and they will hit you. Have two kids who made all-district in defense as sophs this year.
This year's Mules will be young, and only time wil tell if they are fully ready for the big step up to varsity level. But they have had winning ways since they were 7th graders, and have beat the pants off nearly everybody they played, including Frenship & Levelland when they were freshmen. I don't look for a repeat of 2000 when the Mules dominated Region 1 Div II, but barring injuries or bad grades or prima donnas, we will be back on your Region 1 radar by playoff time. That's my 2 bits in the official West Tx smack talk thread :clap: )

Buffalo
04-28-2004, 09:30 PM
Who ever comes out of the Distrct Wylie, Sweetwater Snyder, Merkel and Clyde will go 3 to 4 rounds then we will just have to wait & see.

Ranger Mom
04-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Did Clyde get a new head coach??

I heard a little "rumor" tonight!!

Buffalo
04-28-2004, 09:36 PM
I have not heard that. he was new last year

wildstangs
04-28-2004, 09:41 PM
I havent heard of Clyde losing their coach either. What did you hear Rangermom?

Ranger Mom
04-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Oops.....forget it....I had it wrong!!:doh: :doh:

Da Mules
11-17-2004, 10:11 PM
interesting to review the previews.

Snyder lived up to expectations.
Vernon did not.. I would have put them in the top 10 after that Sweetwater game last year. wha' happend, Z?
Greenwood did better than most supposed they would.
Canyon was barely mentioned, probably due to last season, and might be the surprise team of the year in R1.
Perryton got hit by injuries (and a MuleTrain Express
:D )
I think da Mules are on the radar by now.
Seminole did about what was expected.
Lubock Cooper did much better than I gave them credit for.
Sweetwater improved for sure! since Cooper game.
Wylie same-same co-champs again.
Merkel, Clyde.. same-same, no playoffs.