PDA

View Full Version : Former NFL star dies in Afghanistan

turbostud
04-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Pat Tillman was killed in Afghanistan yesterday. He was a former Safety with Arizona Cardinals who turned down a multi million dollar contract to serve his country. God Bless his family.

kaorder1999
04-23-2004, 11:32 AM
nm

kaorder1999
04-23-2004, 11:33 AM
whoa....praying for him and his family now

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=3&u=/ap/20040423/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_afghan_nfl_player

ej2525
04-23-2004, 11:37 AM
I read those latest news reports just a while ago. That is a terrible tragedy. :(

CHS_Grad '85
04-23-2004, 11:38 AM
My condolances & prayers to his family... I also pray for all the ones over there now... my office had three serving - one came home - but two more were called up... I hope they all come home to their families safe and sound very soon...

Phil C
04-23-2004, 11:50 AM
I agree with everything that has been said. A real tragedy. A man that put his country before football and millions of dollars. From now on it will be hard to not remember Pat Tillman when some of these rich sports stars start whinning and behaving unprofessionally like spoiled pampered brats. Some of them won't even sign autographs for kids at games unless the kid has $50.00 to pay and this is someone that gets big money. Those of us who go to those sports games should hold up signs that say Remember Pat Tillman whenever they misbehave which is so often. We can't even get Shaq to play for the USA in the Olymphics. Remember Pat Tillman!

ej2525
04-23-2004, 12:09 PM
I agree Phil!

BIG19
04-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Talk about a sad day. From one that is currently serving in the Armed Forces, and is heading for deployment, this really does hit home. Not saying that the many deaths have not, but having a face to put with a name.... His unselfish attitude towards life should be applauded and shown to all that think they are to good for the Armed Forces. I saluted him when he made the decision to enlist and I stand now and salute him again. I just hope our youth will take part of his selfish attitude and allow them to learn from it. My prayers and wished go out to his family as well as the many others that have lost love ones. Please continue to say prayers for ALL the people serving our country as well as our leaders. May God wrap his arms around his family.

coiled2strike
04-23-2004, 12:12 PM
my sister is in the army reserves, so my prayers and thoughts are always with the families who have a loved one serving...will say a special prayer for this family today...

poncho
04-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Phil, I agree!!

Sittin' Fastball
04-23-2004, 03:01 PM
WOW. That is what all americans should be like........What a special person.:(

hsfan
04-23-2004, 04:20 PM
a TRUE AMERICAN HERO.god bless him and his family.

pakrat
04-23-2004, 04:49 PM
I wish somebody had cloned him. What a story, it just didn't end right.:(

Bull's-eye
04-23-2004, 04:59 PM
I just heard an earlier interview with Pat Tillman. It was the day after "9-11". He spoke of his respect for the flag and how sometimes high dollar athletes cried over minor things. He talked of how some of his ancestors had served their country. The flag stood for our freedom and for all who had helped in the past, to have this freedom. He praised the soldiers and also made a comment that he hadn't done anything. He later turned down a multi-million dollar contract, to take a $18,000 job with the Army. He and his brother Kevin both decided to serve their country. Pat joined the elite Army Rangers.
Afew months ago, a sportswriter wanted to interview Pat. Pat would have no part of it, unless the writer would interview every other soldier first. He didn't want any publicity or special recognition. In my eyes, Pat joined for all the right reasons and made the ultimate sacrifice.

JasperDog94
04-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Pat Gray of talk radio is trying to get people to call the NFL and get them to change the 40 yard line to red, white, and blue since he was # 40. We all need to remember the sacrifices that others make so that we can enjoy this game that we're all so passionate about...

sinton66
04-23-2004, 09:16 PM
So many times we see examples of dis-interested and totally unconcerned members of our nation, selfish down to their very bones, that we grow weary and fretful for the future of our fine country. We wonder whatever happened to the drive to be and remain free regardless of the cost. I wonder sometimes just how much longer this old girl can last.

Then, just when I'm at the lowest point in my opinion of my fellow citizens, along comes a bright shining example of selflessness and patriotism so obvious that it warms the heart and encourages the soul so much that I regain my faith in my fellow humans. This is what it means to be an American, friends. This is the price of freedom. It is now, always has been and always will be a very high price to pay. Thank God there are those willing to pay it for you and me. Mr. Tillman and his family will be in my prayers.

aamove
04-23-2004, 10:30 PM
Pat Tillman, may God Bless him as he has blessed out country. Our thoughts and prayers for his family.