PDA

View Full Version : Hudson Baseball Coming on Strong!

pakrat
04-23-2004, 12:21 AM
Hudson doesn't play football so some on this board might not be very familiar with them. They play baseball as good as anyone!
They have a junior pitcher, Wesley Musick, who struck out 20 Kirbyville Wildcat batters in Tuesday's 11-2 rout of Kirbyville.
They have a super sophomore pitcher, Brandon Belt, who can also smack the ball. So anyone that plays Hudson will either face the Musick, or get Belted. Their season record is 19-5 and they are 10-1 in district. Barring something weird happening, they will be district champs in 20-3A. Sorry Jasper, that's just the way it is.
:D :D

Old No. 7
04-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Congrat.s to Hudson. I hope yall go deep in the playoffs.

Matthew328
04-23-2004, 07:39 AM
I'd like to know why a 3A school the size of Hudson as well as Central doesn't play football..you'd think in the heart of East Texas they'd play some football there...

pakrat
04-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Why don't they play football? Good question. I guess it goes back to their small rural beginning. They existed in the shadow of Lufkin for many, many years. They have boys that want to play and transfer into Lufkin. The school board has discussed football but have looked at the financial side of building a stadium and supporting a football program. They find it too expensive and a
rather divisive issue. They look at the football program in Huntington and think Hudson could be like that. Losing programs don't generate much revenue. In the past 5 yrs Hudson has made a major investment in sports faciilties and 2 new elementary schools. They have gone from having all 12 grades on the same campus to having 3 separate campuses. The new basketball gym is very nice. They have new tennis courts, baseball, and soccer fields. Also new track for the track team. They are very competitive in cross country track. The exodus from Lufkin into Hudson will only intensify with the fine looking facilities Hudson has built. One day they will be 4A.

Several years ago Hudson started a marching band, but they didn't have anywhere to perform. Apple Springs (1A) had a football team but no band. So Hudson started marching at the home games for Apple Springs. :D

Matthew328
04-23-2004, 09:26 AM
If Hudson gets any bigger I'd bet the demand for football would be too strong and they'd get it....now what is the story with Central???

pakrat
04-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Central? Probably about the same story as Hudson, They are long time rivals with Hudson. Both schools seem content to just compete with each other. Basketball used to be the big sport for both of them. Now they are competive in basketball, but not dominant. Baseball is now their best hope of athletic glory in boy's sports. Football programs seem to fare better in towns that have a winning tradition, even if the wins are ancient history. Towns that have no football tradition, don't feel very passionate about starting one.

j_dog
04-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by pakrat
.... Barring something weird happening, they will be district champs in 20-3A. Sorry Jasper, that's just the way it is.
:D :D
No problem pakrat. Congratulations to Hudson. They have won their games on the field. I wish them the very best, unless they play Jasper again in the playoffs. Then it will be payback time. ;)

Old Cardinal
04-24-2004, 06:31 PM
This is a very good discussion! Lamar University stopped football many years ago and they had had some very outstanding years. I guess a HS also has the right to choose where they want to spend their money. I love football, but I get a little ticked when I see as many Coaches on the sideline as there are players on the field! There is no way that the gate for football games pay that many coaches and the building maintenance and general upkeep of a stadium.... On the other hand, it makes it hard to compete for other schools when a large group of youth can train basically year round on a few sports only.....I was just wondering with 20-3A so strong this year, do you think that Forney could secure a 3rh place in that District LOL.