PDA

View Full Version : Clarett Banned from NFL Draft by Supreme Court

jason
04-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Supreme Court Denies Stay in Clarett Case

By GINA HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Maurice Clarett's bid to enter the NFL draft this weekend was turned down by the Supreme Court on Thursday, delaying for now his attempt to get into the league.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg (news - web sites) said she saw no reason to overturn a lower court's stay preventing the former Ohio State running back from being picked.

The 20-year-old Clarett is fighting the NFL's requirement that players wait three years after high school before turning pro.

Ginsburg said she would not intervene given the NFL's "commitment promptly to conduct a supplemental draft" if Clarett eventually is determined eligible.

The NFL had said Clarett could participate in training camps this summer, if he wins his case in a lower court.

"Today's decision confirms the judgment of the court of appeals and allows us to turn our focus from the courtroom to the draft room," Jeff Pash, the NFL's in-house attorney, said in a statement.

Calls to Clarett's attorney were not immediately returned.

The decision also keeps wide receiver Mike Williams of Southern California out of the draft.

Williams, who entered the draft after the original decision allowing in Clarett, would have been a first-round pick while Clarett likely would have gone in the second or third round.

Clarett was appealing a stay issued Monday by the New York-based 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (news - web sites), putting on hold a lower-court ruling that said the NFL can't enforce its three-year rule.

Ginsburg issued the decision because she oversees appeals from New York, which is where the NFL is based.

Clarett led Ohio State to a national title as a freshman, but was ruled ineligible as a sophomore for accepting money from a family friend and lying about it to NCAA (news - web sites) and university investigators. Clarett, out of high school two years, would be eligible for the 2005 draft under the current rule.

Clarett's attorney, Alan Milstein, had told Ginsburg the player would "suffer substantial irreparable injury" if he was not allowed in the draft.

Clarett could refile his request with another justice, but the outcome likely would not be different.

Most emergency appeals are rejected by the court.

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel had said it was "far-fetched" that Clarett would return to play for the Buckeyes. He dropped out of classes at Ohio State after the winter quarter.

"From an academic standpoint, unless the NCAA really changes its posture about academics, I think it would be difficult," Tressel said.

JasperDog94
04-22-2004, 02:45 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

crzyjournalist03
04-22-2004, 02:52 PM
I really feel bad for Mike Williams...if the NCAA doesn't allow him to return, he'll be out of a job for a year and probably end up having to go to the AFL or something like that and wait for next year's draft.

JasperDog94
04-22-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I really feel bad for Mike Williams...if the NCAA doesn't allow him to return, he'll be out of a job for a year and probably end up having to go to the AFL or something like that and wait for next year's draft.
But that's a risk he took. He knew there was no guarantee that the higher court wouldn't over rule the lower court. He rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes...:(

SINTON81
04-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by jason
Supreme Court Denies Stay in Clarett Case

By GINA HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Maurice Clarett's bid to enter the NFL draft this weekend was turned down by the Supreme Court on Thursday, delaying for now his attempt to get into the league.

Good!!

crzyjournalist03
04-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Eli Manning should be banned from the draft for the way he's acting...I understand saying you don't want to play for a team, but now he's saying he's prepared to sit out football for a year if the Chargers make him the number one pick. Isn't it every kid's dream growing up to be a number one pick? I know the Chargers have a bad history, but Eli could be the one to change it...he's giving up a great chance to prove how great he can truly be...I for one hope that SD does draft him!

Old Tiger
04-22-2004, 09:05 PM
I feel bad for Larry Fitzgerald also...he's NCAA 2005's cover boy and if they don't let him what will he do?

crzyjournalist03
04-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I feel bad for Larry Fitzgerald also...he's NCAA 2005's cover boy and if they don't let him what will he do?

Fitzgerald is in good shape...the ruling that is keeping Mike Williams out is a rule that says you must be three years removed from HS...Fitzgerald went to a JC before Pitt, so even though he's only a sophomore, he's three or four years out of HS, so he's eligible.

Old Tiger
04-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Looks like JuCo actually pays off.

cubs
04-23-2004, 04:40 PM
If Eli and his daddy don't want him to go to San Diego - then if I were SD I sure wouldn't give him the honor of being chosen first in the draft - unless of course they figure to trade him. Let the whiney baby play somewhere else ... QB's and their daddys - LOL

JasperDog94
04-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by cubs
If Eli and his daddy don't want him to go to San Diego - then if I were SD I sure wouldn't give him the honor of being chosen first in the draft - unless of course they figure to trade him. Let the whiney baby play somewhere else ... QB's and their daddys - LOL
What a disgrace...:mad: :mad: :mad:

PhiI C
04-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Say is that the same Court that banned prayer from school in the 60's. I think so. It figures.

Z motion 10 out on 2
04-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Bad call by the Supreme Court.

To say that age matters? I can't believe that at 3 years out of high school you should be physically ready? What research did they do to come up with this particular age? Every individual is different. Just an arbitrary number they picked. Barry Switzer stated in an interview that Earl Campbell could have played right out of high school & I tend to agree.

This is a form of age discrimination in my opinion. They used to do this to police officers...you had to be so tall, until an Army Ranger sued to become a cop although he was too short. He won the case and should have. He was probably better than most. Same with the NFL deal.