PDA

View Full Version : UTA moves one step closer to football

Matthew328
04-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Tuesday UTA students voted to apporove a tuition increase to offsert the start up costs of bringing football back to UTA....UTA's football team was disbanded in 1985 due to lack of support....UTA students approved the vote by a 2-1 margin...

spiveyrat
04-22-2004, 08:41 AM
...but will they really support the team???

Ray_BearKat
04-22-2004, 08:48 AM
What division or conference would this team be in?

Cat22
04-22-2004, 08:52 AM
I hope that UTA does get football back because that would be a big help for Lamar getting football back also. Thanks for the update Matt.

AggieJohn
04-22-2004, 10:33 AM
the diehard football fan in me thinks that every college in texas should be required by law to field a football team....

GUNHO
04-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Yeah Cat getting football back at Lamar would be great.It can't cost that much more,(except for the start up).The other sports aren't drawing any support and thats why they dropped football.

AggieJohn
04-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Lamar has traditionally had a very good baseball team

GUNHO
04-22-2004, 10:59 AM
This is true explayer and they have a good team this year as well.People in the area just wont support Lamar sports as they should to keep the funding going.If their not winning they don't follow them and when they are it's not a whole lot better.

AggieJohn
04-22-2004, 12:37 PM
which is sad because both coach and players are really good for a program

Matthew328
04-23-2004, 07:38 AM
I think football at UTA would be supported much better than it was...the on-campus student population has increased 5 fold as has the overall student population....a key for UTA if football comes back..is being successful relatively quickly and getting a strong recruting base in the Metroplex.....you get the local kids...you get their family and freinds at the game...ie boosted attendance...

UTA would play I-AA in the Southland Conference which is where the play all their other sports....

I heard UTSA's students also passed a vote to raise tuition to fund the start up costs for football..maybe Lamar will soon follow suit..I know Billy Tubbs wants to bring back football..

Cat22
04-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by GUNHO
Yeah Cat getting football back at Lamar would be great.It can't cost that much more,(except for the start up).The other sports aren't drawing any support and thats why they dropped football.
Hey Gunho, if Lamar gets football back in the next couple of years, do you think they may try to hire Hooks?

GUNHO
04-23-2004, 10:54 AM
I realy don't know how much longer Hooks intends on coaching Cat22.I have read some post on our board that he may only coach two more years but I don't know if that is fact. You have to admit that job who ever would get it would be in for a huge challange to say the least. I think it would be nice for Dan to be considered at any rate.To answer your question....No

Cat22
04-23-2004, 03:07 PM
I've heard that too about Hooks not coaching much longer. I just hope that if Lamar does get football back that they hire a coach with local ties and recruit some local players.