PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Highway 100

TarponKing
09-15-2002, 08:58 PM
Let the battle begin. Good luck to both teams, may the best team win.

Kool Tarpon 21
09-15-2002, 09:04 PM
I can't wait to face the Falcons. They may have vandalized our school in a pathetic attempt to intimidate us, but all they accomplished was to ignite our desire to go all out on the football field against them. Good luck Falcons. May the best team win.

Bull Butter
09-15-2002, 10:25 PM
Go Tarpons!

But don't let the season hinge on this game, as Los Fresnos usually does. The game the following week is much more important as we open up district play with Rio Hondo and their trash-talking coaches.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-16-2002, 08:37 AM
When did the Rio Hondo coaching staff start talking smack??? I always knew the La Feria staff talked smack to us, and always got burned. When did all this with the RH staff start?

sinton66
09-16-2002, 08:56 AM
Good Luck Tarpons, we're pulling for ya!

eye of the tiger
09-16-2002, 09:16 AM
Good luck Tarps.

footballgal
09-16-2002, 09:38 AM
Best Wishes Tarpons; just some advise don't scoop to their level and do the same to their school and advise others not to do the same. Just beat them on the field that will mean alot more!!!

By the way, I havent been able to see the site since Friday. My computer at home is temp. out of commission, I have a co-worker fixing it but as of today I don't have it yet and it's driving me crazy cuz I wasn't able to get on the site all this weekend and post scores I notice no one did either for the rgv 3a so I will do that later, If I get a chance and besides I also have some personal good news that I want to share (it invloves HS football)and don't really have the time to write it from work.

BTW thanks Sinton66 & Eye of the Tiger for the Best wishes!!!! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by footballgal (edited September 16, 2002).]

Wunderkindepiphany
09-16-2002, 09:31 PM
Ok, I have to give my two bits. Bullbutter, you have arduously tried to illustrate the point that LF lays all its focus on the PI-LF game, and that they end up losing in district because of that. LF has gone on to the playoffs to play Alice numerous years, and have taken district 3 times in the last decade. Maybe last year was an off year...Let me clear your misconceptions. LF takes the game as a rivalry (a given amount of enthusiam is expected from rivalry), and in my opinion they use the PI-LF game to hone their dull edges before district play starts. LF is the only undefeated team in 32-4A as of right now, having beaten Donna (the top ranked team in the Valley), Sharyland, Pace(5A), and San Benito(5A) so far. LF is the top ranking offensive team in the Valley not having had a game under 31 points so far. As far as PI "stooping" to LF's level, I was a student at LF last year and on the game day morning we had a caravan with all the team and girls and we had expected to return to our school from our caravan to find an excited crowd...Instead, when we entered our school premises in our caravan we found toilet paper in our trees, spray-snow on our windows bearing the pTi insignia, painted PI logos on our front foyer floor and all kinds of the like on our front yard. The paint on LF's front foyer floor still hasnt been removed, it is there for good. Shennanigans are exchanged every year between these two schools, let it ride. So, if you want to talk about good sportsmanship, taking the higher road, and discipline using LF as an example of a bad role-model...know the facts! LF wil decimate PI this weekend, and as much as I respect the PI community, band and football team, I don't think there is anything anyone can do to stop the inevitable.

Bull Butter
09-16-2002, 10:48 PM
The fact that Los Fresnos fans hang out on a 3A board only further proves my point that they are obsessed with PI.

TarponR13K
09-17-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter:
The fact that Los Fresnos fans hang out on a 3A board only further proves my point that they are obsessed with PI.

I don't think this has anything to do with him being obsessed with PI. It's really self centered to be thinking that other people are obsessed with you. Los Fresnos is not the only among many non-3a schools that are spoken about on this forum. I don't mean to speak against fellow Tarpons and fans but to say that Los Fresnos is obsessed with us doesn't seem to make too much sense to me. When is the last time PI beat LF? I can't even remember that game. I know I was there but it was quite a while ago. They have no reason to be obsessed with us aside for the fact that we are an easy win for them.
If anyone is obsessed with another team, it is PI obsessed with Los Fresnos because it's human nature to crave what one does not have which brings on the whole football band controversy. YEAH, IM GONNA BRING THAT UP! The band has several state titles, something that the football team craves. WHO WOULDNT! It's a high honor. If anyone is obsessed, it's PI. They seem to have shown to be quite obsessive in the past.
Have you guys also forgotten that we are huge rivals simply because we share a highway and are basically adjacent towns? That's how it works. I know wunder has friends in PI and that went to school here for a while too, what's wrong with that? I've got friends there and I'm interested in how their school is doing.
I don't think he's obsessed and the only reason I'm making a big deal about this is because it struck me as very egotistical to see someone from PI say that Los Fresnos is obsessed with Port Isabel. They've done things to us, they painted on our school, they stole a band uniform from our bandhall (??), well, hello! we painted and trashed their school, painted their FFA pigs blue (i know because i think my mother was part of that (!) heh...that is kinda amusing and neat though...anyway..

BUT- that's all I'm going to say. I'm not up for arguing on this topic, this isnt rgvsports, I don't want to hear about band, I don't want to hear about PI/LF. You can say what you want, I'm not going to argue. I shared my opinion with you and that's all.

:-DThink what you want about it.

[This message has been edited by TarponR13K (edited September 17, 2002).]

Wunderkindepiphany
09-17-2002, 05:32 PM
man, you've really just got it out against LF, don't ya? I am not obsessed with PI, and as for the football team at LF, I can not speak for them. I saw the link to this site on RGVSPORTS posted by footballgal and decided to visit it. I really liked the site, and have some friends from Bandera who are supporters and members of the football team. Im just a visitor, may i ask what school you root for at games BULLbutter? Im sorry I dont own the right to post on this forum, ass...

Wunderkindepiphany
09-17-2002, 05:35 PM
Bullbutter, your answer to the aforementioned question should show you exactly WHO is obsessive...

TarponR13K
09-17-2002, 05:40 PM
you're welcome here man, don't worry about those jerks. they're just sore losers.

Wunderkindepiphany
09-17-2002, 09:29 PM
So, are any of you out of Valleyer's making the trip down for the annual Battle of HWY 100? Should be a doozy...I plan to watch KoolTarpon and see how he does in this game. He says hes been practicing. Also have there been any cases of vandalism yet in PI? I' out of the LF loop, since I made the switch to Hanna. Damn ghetto. Anyway, see y'all out at Leo Aguilar Stadium with what will hopefully be a night with good weather. I KNOW it'll be packed! Peace all.

mwynn05
09-17-2002, 10:13 PM
this seems like a very intense rilvary from what i have been reading on this board

Bull Butter
09-17-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Wunderkindepiphany:
man, Im just a visitor, may i ask what school you root for at games BULLbutter? Im sorry I dont own the right to post on this forum, ass...

I see this debate has progressed to the name-calling stage now. That's sad that one can not make a point without resorting to name-calling or profanity. And to answer your question, I root for the PORT ISABEL TARPONS!!! Always have, always will.

TarponR13K
09-17-2002, 10:58 PM
So, are any of you out of Valleyer's making the trip down for the annual Battle of HWY 100? Should be a doozy...I plan to watch KoolTarpon and see how he does in this game. He says hes been practicing. Also have there been any cases of vandalism yet in PI? I' out of the LF loop, since I made the switch to Hanna. Damn ghetto. Anyway, see y'all out at Leo Aguilar Stadium with what will hopefully be a night with good weather. I KNOW it'll be packed! Peace all.

I thought you said you switched to Pace.
anyway, bullbutter, if people didnt get offended, things like that wouldn't happen. if you dont offend people, people dont get offended. get it?

Wunderkindepiphany
09-17-2002, 11:19 PM
nah, I said hanna...anyway, peace all.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-18-2002, 01:19 PM
To answer your question MWynn05.......

Port Isabel and Los Fresnos have been playing each other for 60+ years.

The reasoning behind the name "Battle of Highway 100"......Port Isabel and Los Fresnos are the only two towns lie along Highway 100. It's a natural rivalry.

[This message has been edited by TarponFanInNorthTexas (edited September 18, 2002).]

DoomMunkey
09-18-2002, 08:08 PM
My bad, go falcons

[This message has been edited by DoomMunkey (edited September 19, 2002).]

Wunderkindepiphany
09-18-2002, 08:45 PM
2 more days! Man, I wish everyone on this forum could experience "The Battle". Every year, LF gets flak for still competing with PI. But, if all those critics could just get out there to the game and expereience the atmoshpere, they'd know why "The Battle" is still around. I cant wait, should be a hard fought game with a playoff game-like ambience. Whoooooeeee!

AggieJohn
09-18-2002, 09:09 PM
2 more days! Man, I wish everyone on this forum could experience "The Battle". Every year, LF gets flak for still competing with PI. But, if all those critics could just get out there to the game and expereience the atmoshpere, they'd know why "The Battle" is still around. I cant wait, should be a hard fought game with a playoff game-like ambience. Whoooooeeee!

does someone have a pic of this trophy i hear that the game is played for???

Big Tarp 74
09-19-2002, 10:51 AM
It would goto the winning school. How it sent over, I do not know. I wonder what it look like, PI has not seen it for about 6 to 7 years.

Originally posted by explayer2001:
does someone have a pic of this trophy i hear that the game is played for???

footballgal
09-19-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
It would goto the winning school. How it sent over, I do not know. I wonder what it look like, PI has not seen it for about 6 to 7 years.

Has it been that long?????
What paper did this come out maybe they have it archived?

TarponR13K
09-19-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by DoomMunkey:
Even though I root for LF, Im going to have to go with PI on this one..........nahhhh who am i Kidding!!!!!!! Go Falcons!!!!!!
And when did the Staff at RH start talking thrash??????????????????????????????????/

DOOMMONEKY, what are you doing here?? From what you've been saying on the other board, I can see ROM coming very quickly for you. This isn't like the other board, you can't just come on here to talk trash. Immaturity isn't something that is appreciated. I am not crazy about Port Isabel but you are just going through a silly phase where you think rooting for the other team is cool
And I just have to say that when I wear the other teams colors in stars and ribbons, I am simply showing good sportsmanship, i pimp the blue and white as well. Besides, gotta have band spirit, we sport the blue n white.

Anyone else that's seen the trash on the other board see a ROM coming up for this guy?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-19-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by footballgal:

Has it been that long?????
What paper did this come out maybe they have it archived?

Last time Port Isabel beat Los Fresnos was 1995.

Port Isabel started losing to LF when Gabe Pena was hired by his dad.

DoomMunkey
09-19-2002, 07:03 PM
What is ROM?

Wunderkindepiphany
09-19-2002, 09:16 PM
hahaha. Good Luck to all tomorrow. looks like that rain yall were wishing for may just show up. Its lightning over here in Rancho...ah, just a night more...peace all.

footballgal
09-20-2002, 08:18 AM
hahaha. Good Luck to all tomorrow. looks like that rain yall were wishing for may just show up. Its lightning over here in Rancho...ah, just a night more...peace all.

I am going to start to agree with what was said earlier about LF being obsessed, or you being obsessed with PI, because you are actually counting down the days for this game, even after you have won since 1995???? This game does benefit PI by playing a bigger school, but what do you get out of it????

By the way it's going to clear up by game time so NOBODY will have to make any excuses about he weather. So there TA TA

footballgal
09-20-2002, 08:49 AM
Here is one today's local sports story, ref. to this game.
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sections/archive/topstoryjmp/9-20-02/Sp1.htm

Had to edit it, found one more story on the other paper.
http://www.valleystar.com/files/s209201.htm

[This message has been edited by footballgal (edited September 20, 2002).]

footballgal
09-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Here is a little history on the battle of 100, it was e-mailed to me by one of the fans.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sections/archive/topstoryjmp/9-20-02/Comm1.htm

footballgal
09-21-2002, 10:49 AM
Congrats Tarpons! Good Job against LF last night, next year they won't get away. I hear that it will finally be the last game against the two schools??

Wunderkindepiphany
09-21-2002, 08:48 PM
ok. Misinterpretation is the key word here. I was excited about the PI/LF game. I was showing excitement about the fact that it was upcoming. You wanna know the truth? I dont lose any sleep over whether PI or LF loses that game. Obsessed...what's the big deal with being excited over a game? Some of you people are always causing DRAMA. I post on this forum because I find it interesting to write and see responses...but, when I see idiotic responses from people making stupid assumptions it just makes me that more hesitant to write anything at all.

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 11:03 PM
ok. Misinterpretation is the key word here. I was excited about the PI/LF game. I was showing excitement about the fact that it was upcoming. You wanna know the truth? I dont lose any sleep over whether PI or LF loses that game. Obsessed...what's the big deal with being excited over a game? Some of you people are always causing DRAMA. I post on this forum because I find it interesting to write and see responses...but, when I see idiotic responses from people making stupid assumptions it just makes me that more hesitant to write anything at all.

Chill out, a lot of PI people are all about football and make a big deal out of everything football just because we used to have a superwinning team that used to do extremely well in playoffs and everything. They just don't understand that it's not the same team anymore. Pena came and screwed everything up but nobody ever stopped to realize that the team isnt as great as it used to be and making such a big deal about football in this town these days isn't really what they should be making a big deal about. They fail to notice state ranked organizations in the town *cough cough* ahem. excuse me. You know what im talkin about wunder....hehe. Personally, I think it offends a lot of people to see the band take over. I'm sorry!!! We didn't mean to!! We want the team to win, really we do. Wait...no offense but it does get in the way of our practice for our own competitions...oh well nevermind. I think certain people were so used to PI being all about the football team and back then that's what the band was all about but we've started thinking about ourselves and look where it's gotten us. I just think maybe people want things to stay the same. They are jealous or...bitter...or maybe it's not like that. Maybe like i was saying before, people just don't like change and get offended to see something bigger and better that what it used to me. Really i am sorry though. I think the team will do extremely well this year, especially with that show over LF. Wait...i forgot, we lost but it sure as hell doesnt feel like we did. We could have though.

[This message has been edited by TarponR13K (edited September 21, 2002).]

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 11:12 PM
so in their defense, they claim that everyone else is obsessed.....when really they are only obsessed with wanting things to go back to the way they were so many many years ago.

Bull Butter
09-21-2002, 11:13 PM

So, is that why you've yet to acknowledge the fact that the Tarpons played a good game last night. Where was the decimation and ugliness you predicted??? If there was anything that was ugly, it was Los Fresnos' defense.......giving up nearly 500 yards to a 3A SCHOOL????? Schools with three times the enrollment of another school should be beating them by more than 7 points.

TarponRl3k
09-22-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter:

So, is that why you've yet to acknowledge the fact that the Tarpons played a good game last night. Where was the decimation and ugliness you predicted??? If there was anything that was ugly, it was Los Fresnos' defense.......giving up nearly 500 yards to a 3A SCHOOL????? Schools with three times the enrollment of another school should be beating them by more than 7 points.

get over it

Kool Tarpon 21
09-22-2002, 03:39 AM
It's over and done. We lost. I think we played pretty good though. Anyways, we have to start getting ready for the Rio Hondo Bobcats.

TarponRl3k
09-22-2002, 02:55 PM
"pretty well", Missile, "pretty well". Sorry!

Wunderkindepiphany
09-22-2002, 06:44 PM
I DID congratulate PI on another thread, but since it is imperative that I give them the thanks you feel they so desperately need...Congratulations Port Isabel on a good showing against LF. As I said before, PI has tremendous speed, good backs. They could work a bit on the headhunters and return team. Kooltarpon was getting held on his returns...but, overall a good showing by both teams. A track meet all the way. I think that District 32-3A is going to end up showing the state much more than they expected this year. The way I look at it, with PI's game against LF, Raymondville's at E-E, and La Feria kicking Mercedes' butt, district 32-3A has got a good group of talent in those three teams. Three 3A teams that had good showings against good 4A teams. And, I wouldn't count out Rio Hondo either. I don't understand what the big deal is though with me posting...I'm not egocentric, but it seems as if some of you PI people have it out against me. I play Varsity sports as well, I love football as well...all I'm doing is commenting on what I love. Im not the only person from a 4A/5A school posting on this forum. It also seems as if some of you PI people feel that PI hasn't received the respect it deserves...well, I respect PI and the community. I have friends there, and the game was just a game.

TarponRl3k
09-22-2002, 09:27 PM
its just because you're from LF...or WERE from LF.

Kool Tarpon 21
09-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Were you from LF?

Wunderkindepiphany
09-22-2002, 11:02 PM
I made the switch to Hanna High about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I went to LF before that. I dont play football anymore, but am now in Swimming and Baseball. I still love football, though.

TarponRl3k
09-22-2002, 11:04 PM
what missile, you think im lying or something?

Kool Tarpon 21
09-23-2002, 12:36 AM
No Kristen, I don't think you're lying. I'm just trying to fit in. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dark-Knight
09-23-2002, 10:46 AM
OHHHH!!!! This is getting good!
DRUM MAJOR VS DRUM MAJOR

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 04:17 PM
Um, He's not a drum major you dork. That just goes to show how smart Rio Hondo kids are! lol. NO! I didnt say that
im sorry, i was just makin a little joke, i dont mean that. I just have a major grudge against someone from Rio Hondo....

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 04:19 PM
he isnt even in band. he plays football and he's good at it. The number at the end of his name....that's his number. get it? the number within my name, R13 is the type of buffet clarinet i play on. get it?

Kool Tarpon 21
09-23-2002, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I play football and my # is 21. If you want to know who I am, just look at the guy with that jersey # this Friday night.

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 09:33 PM
Hey missile you're almost there. I dont think he'll be at the game i think he's from near houston....cy creek???