PDA

View Full Version : 32-3A Softball

Ray_BearKat
04-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Raymondville earns district crown with 15-5 win over PI

By PAUL CONATZER
paulc@valleystar.com
956-430-6286

RAYMONDVILLE — Ten’s a pretty important number around Raymondville.

The Lady Bearkats softball team closed out a perfect 10-0 District 32-3A season with a 15-5 victory over Port Isabel on Tuesday night at Raymondville High School. The game was called after five innings because of the 10-run rule.

"We did what we needed to do," second-year Raymondville coach Joe Ramos said after the victory.

One thing the Lady Kats did do for sure was bring the big bats.

Paced by Denise Moreno’s 4-for-4, five-RBI performance, the Lady Kats pounded out 17 hits and scored in every inning.

"We can stick with the best of them," Ramos said. "We’re a good sticking team."

Senior starting pitcher Anissa Blanco went the distance for the Lady Kats. She allowed eight hits and three earned runs.

She also had a good day at the plate as she went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and a run-producing triple.

Moreno said Raymondville’s district title was the result of hard work.

"We worked really hard," said the junior, who had two doubles, including a bases-loaded one in the third that scored three runs. "It means a lot because we wanted to do this for the seniors."

After taking a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first, Raymondville (10-0 district, 20-4 overall) unleashed the heavy lumber in the bottom of the second as the Lady Kats pounded out five runs on five hits.

The big blow in the inning was Vicky Moya’s two-run double. Moya was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles and three RBIs.

"I’m really proud of my girls," Ramos said. "They’ve worked hard."

With the win, Raymondville earns a first-round bye in the playoffs. The Lady Kats will face the winner of the second-place team in District 29-3A and the third-place team in District 30-3A in the area round.

That’s where the Lady Kats were eliminated last season by Devine, 15-1.

Moreno and her teammates want to change that.

"We really want to go further in the playoffs," she said.

Posted by: Mike Perez on Apr 20, 04 | 8:36 pm | Profile

http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/softball042104.jpg
Raymondville’s Denise Moreno is called out by the umpire as she slides into Port Isabel third baseman Ruby Delgado during their game Tuesday night. Moreno went 4-for-4 at the plate with 5 RBIs.

Ray_BearKat
04-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Does anyone know how districts 29 and 30 are looking since Raymondville's first playoff game will be to face the winner of the second-place team in District 29-3A and the third-place team in District 30-3A in the area round?

Old Cardinal
04-21-2004, 06:26 PM
A very good writeup!. I wish more people would share info like you did. Can you tell us how you fared against 4A competition in preseason and who was your toughest competition in preseason. How did Devine do in postseason after the Raymondville win?

Ray_BearKat
04-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Devine lost in the next round to Sinton 9-2...

Ray_BearKat
04-21-2004, 10:05 PM
And I'm not too certain but the 4 losses come to 5A schools, I believe...Harlingen, Brownsville Pace, and a couple teams in the Mission Fast Pitch Tourney.

PhiI C
04-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Good Job Ray! Enjoyed the updates! Who got second and third in your district. In District 30 AAA it looks like the third place team is going to be either Ingleside or Mathis but they still have one game left and there could be a playoff for the third spot. I will post on the April 23 baseball and softball treand.

Ray_BearKat
04-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Not too certain but I think its La Feria in second and either Port Isabel or Hidalgo in third.