PDA

View Full Version : I'm curious about something

BullFrog Dad
04-21-2004, 08:12 AM
In three weeks "The Bullfrog Festival" will be in Lake Worth. We have a carnival(some good rides), craft fair, entertainment(bands,singers,etc.), and the marque events: parade, bed race down Azle Ave., and a frog jumping contest! It's really a good time with hometown flavor and the kid's especially like it since it's two weeks before summer break! I was wondering what some of the other towns in 3A do along these lines.

ej2525
04-21-2004, 08:22 AM
When I was growing up in Bridge City each year we had The Crawfish Festival, I believe it was each Spring if not mistaken. I have not lived in Bridge City for 13 years now & I am going to guess they still have the festival each year. Can a current BC resident confirm if this still takes place each year?

olddawggreen
04-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Burnet just had their Annual Bluebonnet Festivle the weekend before last. We have had this for many years now and it has gotten pretty big. We now have a Confederate Air Force air show, demolition derby, carnival, parade, bike race, fun run, crafts, entertainment and food around the courthouse on the square and a street dance. The train makes its usual run from Austin full of people and people drive in from all over. Its one of the great things about living in a small town. Unfortuantly this year, we had a very wet norther blow in Saturday to really put a damper on things.

BullFrog Dad
04-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Burnet just had their Annual Bluebonnet Festivle the weekend before last. We have had this for many years now and it has gotten pretty big. We now have a Confederate Air Force air show, demolition derby, carnival, parade, bike race, fun run, crafts, entertainment and food around the courthouse on the square and a street dance. The train makes its usual run from Austin full of people and people drive in from all over. Its one of the great things about living in a small town. Unfortuantly this year, we had a very wet norther blow in Saturday to really put a damper on things. olddawggreen, Sounds like Burnet puts on a great festival. You just gave me a great idea. Although too late for this year I'm going to get with the organizers about setting up a 5K fun run. Hmmmm, "The BullFrog Hoppening 5K"! Thanx for the post!

vet93
04-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Ballinger will celebrate their Ethinic Festival next weekend. It it a celebration of all the ethnic cultures that have influenced the area (Mexican, German, Czech etc....) They have a parade, arts and crafts etc...

CHS_Grad '85
04-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Caldwell is the official Kolache capital... the second weekend in September we have a festival (http://www.bc-chamber.com/ent/)... lots of eating, arts & crafts, dancing... I think we even started a 5K run about 2 years ago... as their motto goes... 'everyone can be czech for a day'...:D

bccards
04-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by ej2525
When I was growing up in Bridge City each year we had The Crawfish Festival, I believe it was each Spring if not mistaken. I have not lived in Bridge City for 13 years now & I am going to guess they still have the festival each year. Can a current BC resident confirm if this still takes place each year?

Bridge City quit doing the crawfish festival about 10 years ago. They moved it out on 1442 in Orangefield across from Jap Lane. But the small park area that they have it in Orangefield closed down earlier this year, so we don't have anything, unless you want to drive way out in Mauriceville on 62 for their crawfish festival.

Cameronbystander
04-21-2004, 11:32 AM
This weekend is the Dewberry Festival in Cameron. A carnival starts tonight. Friday there is a barbeque cook-off and Saturday there is the festival itself which includes a fishing contest for kids 16 and younger at the city park. Lots of booths and a dewberry cooking contest.

Old No. 7
04-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Kirbyville just had thear annual Magnolia festival. Lots of rides, food, and entertainment. Even had a parade and a beauty pagent.

CHS_Grad '85
04-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Cameronbystander
This weekend is the Dewberry Festival in Cameron. A carnival starts tonight. Friday there is a barbeque cook-off and Saturday there is the festival itself which includes a fishing contest for kids 16 and younger at the city park. Lots of booths and a dewberry cooking contest. Is this in the downtown area?... we've been known to just jump in the car & go to a festival - especially when their close to home... :D

Cameronbystander
04-21-2004, 01:41 PM
The festival is at Ledbetter park just south of downtown.

Sittin' Fastball
04-21-2004, 03:04 PM
anybody ever been to the Spinach Festival......great gorditas.

Old Green
04-21-2004, 06:38 PM
2nd weekend of October we have TurkeyFest in Cuero. Parades,rodeo,Food, Dancing, crafts, Lawn mower drag Races, ( you need to see this, 0 to 80 mph on a lawnmower) and Turkey Races.

lepfan
04-21-2004, 06:45 PM
The only thing I can think of in LaGrange is the Fayette County Fair....the locals live for it each year.

Matthew328
04-21-2004, 06:47 PM
I know Gilmer has the Yamboree every year.....lots of East Texas towns do something like that

mwynn05
04-21-2004, 08:05 PM
fairfield has the freestone county fair and thats about it but its a huge deal around here

spiveyrat
04-22-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by bccards
Bridge City quit doing the crawfish festival about 10 years ago. They moved it out on 1442 in Orangefield across from Jap Lane. But the small park area that they have it in Orangefield closed down earlier this year, so we don't have anything, unless you want to drive way out in Mauriceville on 62 for their crawfish festival.

Way out to Mauriceville? You're kidding, right?