PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City Baseball maybe best team in 3A at this point in time

Old Cardinal
04-20-2004, 01:18 PM
According to the Houston Chronical 4/13/04, some interesting stats emerge for the Cardinals facing all classifications in the area-
Team batting 7th

Deep depth in Pitching:
Sophomore Kevin Angelle era .048 In First Place
Sophomore Broc Haymon era .056 Third Place
Overall team pitching 1.23 First Place---BC has 5 other pitchers that are also of real high quality(two more left-handers and 3 right-handers) . On the stats above on Angelle and Haymon-- Haymon has been called on to pitch against most of the better Louisiana and Texas 4As including PNG ranked #4 in 4A. PN-G took them twice in real tight games. I can't understand how PN-G is not ranked #1 in 4A baseball. Both BC Sophomores will be sought out by Division I schools.

With Darryl Stevens, Ben Myers and Hunter Hays knocking multiple home runs, this team has got to be the sleeper of 3A baseball...

Since this team is so young and the JV and Sophomore teams were totally dominate against larger schools-the future looks bright for the next 4 years in Cardinal land....It's kind of tragic, 22 youth had to be turned away because the three HS teams were chocked full of better players. A dynasty in the making...maybe?

Gasilla
04-20-2004, 03:06 PM
I heard that BC didn't fare to well against the local 4A schools this year. I know they tied with WO-S in one of the earlier tournaments and we are very young this years and have lost some tough ones. 6 one run games! I'm not trying to knock the Cards at all, this is just what I've heard (except for the WO-S game). Do you think it's that BC is that good, or is it that the local 3A district is that bad? Just wondering... again, this is not taking a shot at BC.

B/T/W WO-S is losing only 2 players this year. Next year could be pretty interesting in baseball.

Old Cardinal
04-20-2004, 03:27 PM
I think BC has lost two games to PNG and they tied 3 games and lost the opener of the season to Jasper in 39 degree weather. Look at the rest of the 4A games and they have a tremendous record against the bigger schools, even over the last 4 years. WOS has not fared very well in their District but their are some good teams in 20-4A. ....That is why I opened this thread with the statement that BC is in good shape at this point in time. I takes a little while to get a brand new Coach and a Sophomore laden team to play as a team. I think they will continue to dominate in baseball just like they have for the last four years. Having the biggest enrollment school in 3A next year in the District does not give them the Crown automatically.

jason
04-20-2004, 03:46 PM
forneys 3 aces have a combined era of .793 and are 18-5, but still received 15 of 18 first place votes in the dfw area rankings...they have not been scored on in district, and have out scored opponents 121-0 in district, not including an april 16 game vs dallas madison...they have victories over 5A Carrollton RL Turner, 5A The Colony,
5A Mesquite High, 5A Abilene High, 4A Whitehouse, and 4A Sherman, 5A #3 Duncanville, and they lost to 4A #1 Denton Ryan 2-3...sounds like forney might once again be the team to beat...

Old Cardinal
04-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Jason, Did you mean era of .079 or was the .79X correct? If you beat some good team that were mentioned-- then who did you lose to on those 5 games?

crzyjournalist03
04-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Forney lost the first three games of the season to Stephenville, Denton Ryan, and Liberty Christian, then later in the season has losses to Denton Ryan again and Rockwall.

Old Cardinal
04-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Jason, Did you mean era of .079 or was the .79X correct? If you beat some good team that were mentioned-- then who did you lose to on those 5 games?

jason
04-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Old Cardnil:
Whatever that equals out to:

Chace Lankford - 0.66
Brandon Hewett - 0.74
Chance Corgan - 0.98

crzyjournalist03
04-20-2004, 05:37 PM
hey Old Card, are you sure about those decimal spots? It's reading that BC's top two pitchers are allowing less than one tenth of a run per start....I'd expect it to be reading a half run per start...if they really are less than one tenth, that's just amazing!:eek:

VWG
04-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Gotta go with Forney until someone shows them up.
Beating 5A and 4A schools in the DFW area is strong, real strong.

Not taking anything away from B.C.'s great year they have going but Forney is number one outright in 3A.

Old Cardinal
04-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Sounds like Forney is doing really well. Tonight BC beat Kountze 11-0. Hunter "home run" Hays knocked a really long .. HR with two on base to finish off the game early. Darryl Stevens pitched tonight for BC and they had 3 or 4 double plays. I still think Lorena is a little stronger than LaGrange over this way,--only time will tell. I know Lorena won it all last year and Sinton dominated it before that: I was just wondering when a Region I or II team has last won the State Championship?

jason
04-20-2004, 09:35 PM
well if reg II didnt win last year or the year before, then its been at least 6 years cause forney was there the 4 years before that...i think atlanta did in 98....

Gasilla
04-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I think BC has lost two games to PNG and they tied 3 games and lost the opener of the season to Jasper in 39 degree weather. Look at the rest of the 4A games and they have a tremendous record against the bigger schools, even over the last 4 years. WOS has not fared very well in their District but their are some good teams in 20-4A. ....That is why I opened this thread with the statement that BC is in good shape at this point in time. I takes a little while to get a brand new Coach and a Sophomore laden team to play as a team. I think they will continue to dominate in baseball just like they have for the last four years. Having the biggest enrollment school in 3A next year in the District does not give them the Crown automatically.

I guess you're referring to WO-S with that last sentence. If so then, no, I'm not taking anything for granted. If we can just make the playoffs I'll be happy, it's been a long dry spell for us.

Chris Hart
04-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Old Card, Congrats on the fine season Bridge City is having. It sounds like this year their pitching staff has some good depth. I agree, they should be tough to handle in the playoffs, but Reg III is loaded this year. Some very good teams will be going home early. Good luck to your Cards!

Rabbit'93
04-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I was just wondering when a Region I or II team has last won the State Championship?
Are you back to this one again Card. Whats this got to do with this year. I can't stand the way you tout your team to everyone but the minute anyone does the same outside of Reg III you go into passive aggressive mode.