PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure how I feel!!

Ranger Mom
04-18-2004, 10:39 PM
I read in the paper this week that Greenwood has decided to "open it's border" to anyone that wants to pay a tuition fee.

In the past you could only attend school here if you lived within the school district.

I don't know whether to be happy or nervous about getting the riff-raff that can't cut it in another school.

Has anyone else gone through this, if so, how did it work out??

Old Tiger
04-18-2004, 10:41 PM
well the school will grow very fast if they do.

Ranger Mom
04-18-2004, 10:44 PM
The school growing kinda scares me too!! We are the smallest in our district right now....but it will be easy for kids from Midland and Stanton (especially those who drive) to get to Greenwood. It is about 9 miles from Midland and 12 from Stanton.

crzyjournalist03
04-18-2004, 10:48 PM
I didn't even know that was legal...tuition fees for a HS? Allowing students from outside the district to attend??? Sounds pretty crazy to me!

Chris Hart
04-18-2004, 10:51 PM
I agree RangerMom, that's kind of scary. Maybe the administration will do a good job of trying to keep the trouble makers out. On the bright side though, it could attract some top athletes to Greenwood. Hopefully the pros will outweigh the cons, and things work out nicely.

Ranger Mom
04-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I didn't even know that was legal...tuition fees for a HS? Allowing students from outside the district to attend??? Sounds pretty crazy to me!

I don't know if tuition was the right word. From what I read in the paper, it is based on the average dollar amount of property taxes, which is evidently $867.00 for a $75,000 home. (If my property taxes were only $867 I would be jumping for joy!!)

The school I went to was like that. We had students from Big Spring who went there, they just had to pay something equivalent to property taxes for that privelage.

lepfan
04-18-2004, 10:59 PM
LG accepts transfer students...they have to be approved by the School Board first...and they pay like $1200 transfer fee to the school district. We do not always accept the transfers...they have to give a legit reason for wanting to come into the district.

sinton66
04-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Sinton also accepts transfers on an individual basis. The school board must approve each one individually. However, if they are accepted, SISD does not charge a transfer fee. It can be beneficial to some kids who have a teacher in another district that has a closed mind toward a certain kid. I transferred my kids from Odem to Sinton for just such a reason. My daughter had a teacher that insisted she be tested for a learning disorder. When she was tested and it was proven that she didn't, the school psycologist suggested we get her out of Odem. She transferred to Sinton, managed to make her way through, and along the way assisted Sinton in winning their second straight Academic Decathelon State Title by bringing home seven medals, five of which were Gold. Not bad for a kid with a "learning disability". She went on to earn a Bachelor's degree in Biology, and a Master's in School Administration. She is now employed as a teacher in SISD.
So, I guess you could say the moral of the story is that it can be a good thing for both the student and the school.

vet93
04-19-2004, 08:53 AM
I would have been real tempted to send that teacher yearly updates of my daughters progress including snapshots of the academic medals, copies of degrees etc...

Originally posted by sinton66
Sinton also accepts transfers on an individual basis. The school board must approve each one individually. However, if they are accepted, SISD does not charge a transfer fee. It can be beneficial to some kids who have a teacher in another district that has a closed mind toward a certain kid. I transferred my kids from Odem to Sinton for just such a reason. My daughter had a teacher that insisted she be tested for a learning disorder. When she was tested and it was proven that she didn't, the school psycologist suggested we get her out of Odem. She transferred to Sinton, managed to make her way through, and along the way assisted Sinton in winning their second straight Academic Decathelon State Title by bringing home seven medals, five of which were Gold. Not bad for a kid with a "learning disability". She went on to earn a Bachelor's degree in Biology, and a Master's in School Administration. She is now employed as a teacher in SISD.
So, I guess you could say the moral of the story is that it can be a good thing for both the student and the school.

JasperDog94
04-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't know if tuition was the right word. From what I read in the paper, it is based on the average dollar amount of property taxes, which is evidently $867.00 for a $75,000 home. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Only 867.00!!! My property taxes for an 1850 sq ft house with 3 1/2 acres of land is over 4000.00!!!:eek: :eek:

CHS_Grad '85
04-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Caldwell is one of three HS in Burleson County... they have been accepting kids from other districts (& counties for that matter) for a while now... before 2000 parents just had to show that they worked in the district so thier child could attend Caldwell ISD (along with school board approval)... but now they have to show they work in the district & pay a tuition (how much is based on individual cases)... most of the kids are very bright & talented... and if the parents are paying extra for their child to go to school out of district - the kids tend to be better behaved & the parents more involved... every once in while we get one who's a trouble maker but they don't last long... I wish Greenwood luck with it's new program...

lepfan
04-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Tempted??? Nahhhh...I WOULD have sent them...

Originally posted by vet93
I would have been real tempted to send that teacher yearly updates of my daughters progress including snapshots of the academic medals, copies of degrees etc...

lepfan
04-19-2004, 12:44 PM
It was not long ago that even teachers that lived outside the district lines had to pay the transfer tuition for their own children to come to school with them!!! That has been changed in the pat few years.

Old Green
04-19-2004, 01:27 PM
We have contracts with three smaller ISD 's in the area that send their kids to Cuero. They don't have enough kids for a high school, so it is cheaper to send them here. This has been going on for 60 years. They pay a tuition.

sinton66
04-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Heh heh, trust me folks, I went looking for that teacher to show her a photograph of my daughter wearing seven medals around her neck. I was told she left teaching, and remember remarking, "Well, that's probably for the best.";)

kaorder1999
04-19-2004, 09:30 PM
i know forney used to do the same thing but they stopped back in like 1996 or 97

BullFrog Dad
04-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
We have contracts with three smaller ISD 's in the area that send their kids to Cuero. They don't have enough kids for a high school, so it is cheaper to send them here. This has been going on for 60 years. They pay a tuition. Old Green, Is that fair to those families of the three ISD's? Or did you mean the ISD'S pay the tuition?

Old Green
04-20-2004, 04:18 PM
ISD's pay the tuition.
Sorry for the mix up.:)

bullfrog_alumni_02
04-20-2004, 09:40 PM
well id have to agree w/ ranger mom on this one, lake worth is small, in my days, it was pretty well run, but the adding of new students to such a small student body changes things and different attitudes in the school and how the student body will react to certain situations especially if the kids dont understand one another. but on the other hand, a kid can move to the district and really turn around, become a leader, and show his/her true potential to the world. its really a two sided coin and depends on the student. i wish lake worth could grow w/ the other schools. i know they are growning, but it will take a while before they really see alot of the growth w/ the added housing in the district.