PDA

View Full Version : Navasota 5, Bellville 2 (Both 6-1 in District)

Bellville22
04-17-2004, 01:07 PM
A very hungry and very scrappy Navasota team beat the Brahmas of Bellville last night 5-2. Clearly wasn't Bellville's best performance, but hats off to the Rattlers for setting the tone and never letting up.

Navasota's C, Allen, had 2 doubles and a sac fly. The Rattlers executed 4 successful bunts in a row, 2 of them squeezes. Bellville did manage 7 or 8 hits, but spaced them out and were never able to string together a rally. Bellville's Lucas Luetge pitched well, but just couldn't get the key play or run support needed. Both teams are now 6-1 and share the lead for the district crown.

Now to some things that p!$$ me off about last night. No, it wasn't the fact that the Bulls have come out flat for the past 2 games, and it wasn't the fact that we got beat at our home field. I can live with bad nights, I can live with opponents talking trash, I can live with cocky, competitive teams, I can live with errors, I can live with slumps, and I can even live with getting flat out beat. What I cannot live with is dirty play...

In the first inning of the game last night, Bellville's pitcher picked off Navasota's #3 from first, as the throw from the first baseman went to 2nd, clearly ahead of the runner, the Bellville 2B waited to make the tag. 10 ft short of the bag, the Navasota runner slid, planting his cleat directly into the midsection of our 2B, then pushed the 2B back and down. Bellville's player was clearly shaken up, was removed from the game, however returned (in pain) to gut it out for the rest of the night. For the record, the umpires (who were never in controll of this game) did nothing. Luckily Coach Cerny and Bellville's pitcher are class acts, I would have had a hard time pitching to that guy in the strike zone his next plate appearence. I believe it was the next inning when Navasota's #7 hit a ground ball to 3rd or Short. As he ran by first base, he stepped inside the bag at the ankle of our 1B. Our first baseman was able to slip away, but he realized what happened, as did many. Don't recall the number, but this once again happened late in the game.

Absolutely no excuse for this sort of play. Whatever respect Navasota earned from me with their competitive attitude and extremely scrappy play was lost in a matter of 3 plays, and will probably never be regained. 73 can tell you that it takes alot to get me heated up like this, usually I give these type of things the benefit of the doubt, and chalk it up to being an accident, however when 3 blatant instances happened right in front of my eyes, I got a little ticked.

Luckily no one was seriously injured. I believe Bellville's 2B will be alright. Navasota wins, both teams 6-1. However, don't call it a district tie yet, both teams have games that are certainly not locks, anything could happen.

Old Cardinal
04-17-2004, 05:58 PM
I was just wondering if Navasota or Bellville have played LaGrange-the outcome and your take on LG would be appreciated.

XMan
04-17-2004, 08:25 PM
22 i will agree with you without hesitation on your on opinions about the Rattlers. One thing though, dont think Bellville is saintly. The Brahmas do things the casual observer or Brahma Mom wouldnt pick up but are of the same sort none the less. (Relaying signs, first name last name, name/number, stalling to warm up pitchers in the infield, kicking dirt on the umpire) Although these instances are in no way equal to intentionally injuring another player, they do go on. Old Cardinal, the LaGrange Leps are for real!!!!! I commented earlier in the year about Bellville should have taken the opportunity to end the perfect season when they could. Someone mentioned that LG wouldnt be undefeated but they still are. If LG loses, it will be to a team with a terrific pitcher and the score will be 3-2 or less. LG's pitching and catcher and overall team throwing ability are awesome.

BrahmaMom
04-17-2004, 08:39 PM
XMan, you are right. The things you cited that Bellville does in NO WAY compare to injuring a player like happened last night to Jabow. I was appalled and grateful that he seemed okay. I think the Navasota player should have been thrown out of the game, though I was informed what happened was technically legal by someone who knows. I share 22's impulse to have thrown at that player's head when he came to bat next time and even made that statement in the heat of anger, thank goodness we have some impulse control! I left to go to a little league game, so missed a good game. I am not making excuses for the Brahma loss, sounds like we weren't at our best and Navasota wanted the win bad. Coiled2strike, I hope you straighten out the attitude and sportsmanship there. Y'all have a lot of talent, I wouldn't call that class, though. Congrats on the win, Rattlers. Let's get fired up, Bulls!

gdornon11
04-18-2004, 02:44 AM
XMAN,

be careful what brahma fans you decide to call out. i dont think thats a wise decision. sorry about this chump brahma mom

Old Cardinal
04-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the info onLG, Mr. XMan....Could you tell us the scores when Navasota and Bellville played LaGrange?

XMan
04-18-2004, 12:01 PM
yall mistook what i said. When i said brahma mom, i meant any brahma parent or casual fan in general, i never meant to define any single person. I see now that "Brahma Mom" is a call name on here and wasnt calling her out, sorry if there was confusion.

BrahmaMom
04-18-2004, 04:26 PM
No problem XMan, some folks get a little defensive or protective, it's only natural. We Bellville fans stick together. And we moms tend to think the best of our boys and give others the benefit of the doubt when we can. Even 22 does that. Our first baseman is special to me, too, so if I'd been there when he got almost nailed, there'd a been a voice in the crowd! It's a game, we just need to play ball and let the better team that game win. Go Brahmas!

BrahmaMom
04-18-2004, 04:27 PM
And don't worry, 11, I can handle XMan, he's harmless.

Bull's-eye
04-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Thanks for the info onLG, Mr. XMan....Could you tell us the scores when Navasota and Bellville played LaGrange? Bellville lost 2-0 in the first game. LaGrange's Homer Bailey had 17 strike-outs and allowed only 2 hits. In the 2nd meeting, Bellville lost 8-7 in extra innings. Bellville had a 7-4 lead heading to the top of the 7th. LG scored 3 runs to tie the game. Bellville, for some reason, chose not to bring in their ace closer. I'm not sure if this was a coaching decision or due to a injury. Bellville also had their second runner of the night, thrown out at home plate to end the 7th. Bellville could of very easily gave LG their first loss of the year. LG is very good and almost impossible to beat with Bailey pitching.

Bellville22
04-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Bulls-Eye pretty much covered the LG info. In my opinion, LG is the best "one game" team in the state, meaning if they get in a one-game playoff situation, I don't think they will be beat. Homer Bailey is simply special. I've never seen a 3A high school pitcher as polished as he is. In a series, however, I think LG is beatable. Their #2 and #3s are very good pitchers, but certainly beatable against a team with deep pitching, Forney for instance. They score runs, not in bunches, but enough to get by with their terrific pitching.

With Bailey on the mound, LG is certainly the #1 team in the state. I have them #1 regardless. Not unbeatable though if the situation is right.

Bellville22
04-18-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by XMan
22 i will agree with you without hesitation on your on opinions about the Rattlers. One thing though, dont think Bellville is saintly. The Brahmas do things the casual observer or Brahma Mom wouldnt pick up but are of the same sort none the less. (Relaying signs, first name last name, name/number, stalling to warm up pitchers in the infield, kicking dirt on the umpire) Although these instances are in no way equal to intentionally injuring another player, they do go on. Old Cardinal, the LaGrange Leps are for real!!!!! I commented earlier in the year about Bellville should have taken the opportunity to end the perfect season when they could. Someone mentioned that LG wouldnt be undefeated but they still are. If LG loses, it will be to a team with a terrific pitcher and the score will be 3-2 or less. LG's pitching and catcher and overall team throwing ability are awesome.

Except for the comment about kicking dirt on umpires (must have missed that over the years), I don't disagree with you. But I would venture all well coached teams do these sort of things. If a catcher is going to tip a pitch, or a pitcher, or a coach, I say take advantage of it. Some disagree, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

KL3
04-18-2004, 11:35 PM
"Stalling to warm up pitchers in the infield"

Oh my goodness, what is this world coming to? I can't believe a coach of a baseball team would resort to this kind of behavior.

XMan, are you kidding me? You must be from Columbus.

BrahmaMom
04-19-2004, 06:58 AM
I didn't see much wrong with the Brahmas unsaintly behavior as compared to intentional injury myself. KL3, I haven't seen your sarcastic side too much, pretty funny!

Bellville22
04-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by BrahmaMom
I think the Navasota player should have been thrown out of the game, though I was informed what happened was technically legal by someone who knows.

Yes, it's legal to slide short of the base. And it's even legal to slide into a player. However it is completely unnecessary to jump into and plant your shoe, cleats up, into the midsection of the fielder. Not to mention pushing him after doing this. The legal matters don't bother me, it's the sportsmanship and intent to injure that ticks me off, and he certainly could have been thrown out for that.

coiled2strike
04-19-2004, 11:34 AM
BrahmaMom...
I'm not disputing what happened, as I was not there but I trust your word on what happened...but I can assure you that they are taught better...Coach Rangel does a great job with those guys...I hope this was a case of over-aggressive kids getting carried away and really going all out to win and not our guys trying to intentionally hurt your guys...or anyone else's for that matter...

coiled2strike
04-19-2004, 11:40 AM
d

Bellville22
04-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Thanks 'coiled2strike'. I assure you your apology is appreciated. I'm certain that emotions were running high in such a big game, and I know kids tend to be over aggressive in those situations. It's just tough to handle when a player is injured in such a way. I'm just thankful it wasn't serious.

#3 is a competitive athlete. He's also a Jr. meaning he has this year and next year to show me that that's not who he is. I trust that he isn't, and I look forward to seeing a little class from him.

Sittin' Fastball
04-19-2004, 01:01 PM
The play you are referring to was not done with the intent to cause injury. It was a result of a hardnosed player playing all out. What do you expect #3 to do, say excuse me and tip toe to the bag as he gets tagged out. Besides, the 2Bmen was directly in the baseline.

And, oh, #3 did not "push him down" after the play, the 2Bmen dropped like a sack of potatoes on his own.

Navasota baseball program has turned the corner....DEAL WITH IT!!!:D

KL3
04-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Sittin' Fastball, were you one of the fans sitting out there by the right-field fence?

Navasota must be "turning the corner" and not be used to winning, they celebrated on the field after the game like they had just won the World Series.

Sittin' Fastball
04-19-2004, 01:50 PM
"Turning the corner" usually means winning after losing year after year genius.......

Bellville22
04-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Sittin' Fastball
The play you are referring to was not done with the intent to cause injury. It was a result of a hardnosed player playing all out. What do you expect #3 to do, say excuse me and tip toe to the bag as he gets tagged out. Besides, the 2Bmen was directly in the baseline.

And, oh, #3 did not "push him down" after the play, the 2Bmen dropped like a sack of potatoes on his own.

Navasota baseball program has turned the corner....DEAL WITH IT!!!:D

Nope, I don't expect him to tip toe, I expect him to slide without his cleats up, and without jumping directly into the midsection of the player. And I must have seen a tampered with video the next day, becase the video I saw of the play showed #3 pushing our 2nd baseman.

And I never said anything about Navasota not having a good baseball program. They have a very solid team, with plenty of depth at pitching, and a scrappy offense. Turning the corner is the easy part, it's staying up there that's hard. The Navasota program looks good, much like Bellville's has for years.

BrahmaMom
04-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Yeah, Jabow "dropped like a sack of potatoes" on his own--wouldn't be proud of that statement, it is diagnostic of how serious the injury was. Were you there, XMan? I was for that play and I was sickened, and I don't know how you weren't if you saw that happen. Bellville plays hard-nosed baseball and we respect teams who do the same. Y'all are turning the corner and are proud of it, as you should be. Coiled2strike, I know you are teaching the kids there the right things and I assume your colleagues are, too. I in no way find the staff responsible for one player's actions. There's a lot to teach about how to be a winner and y'all have had a lot of years of losing to overcome. Your teams are excited about turning the corner and they should be. I don't take anything away from any of them for their talent and hard work and drive. That said, I'll respect the Rattlers more when they come out not talking trash and, heck, tiptoeing around our 2Bman, if that's what it takes to avoid injuring an opponent. I hope game three is played in a sportsmanlike fashion and have every expectation that it will be. Best two of three, pretty exciting baseball! Go Bulls!!

BrahmaMom
04-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Oh, and Sittin' Fastball, he didn't have to say "excuse me" but he sure and he** could have said "I'm sorry" and I certainly hope he did. Re-reading 22 's summary again, I stand by my statement that I think he should have been ejected from the game.

Sittin' Fastball
04-20-2004, 08:50 AM
Brahma mom it doesn't really matter what you think. Fact is, he wasn't ejected because the UMPIRE didn't see it necessary.

On the subject of dirty/unsportsmanlike play: What about your 1Bmen's attempts to apply hard tags on pickoffs. Is that playing with good sportsmanship? How do you explain that? In the end, we didn't mind because it ended up bitin' him in the booty.

Bellville22
04-20-2004, 08:57 AM

On the subject of dirty/unsportsmanlike play: What about your 1Bmen's attempts to apply hard tags on pickoffs. Is that playing with good sportsmanship? How do you explain that? In the end, we didn't mind because it ended up bitin' him in the booty.

I imagine he was a bit upset at almost getting cleated in the back of the ankle twice, but I could be wrong.

ROY
04-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Okay! Enough whining already. This looks just like it did during football season. Navasota kids don't have class....Navasota kids talk too much trash...so on and so on. I have to agree with some thoughts. Navasota kids are a little rough around the edges on 'some' things. I have to admit the town and upbringing of the average Navasota kid is a little different than that of Bellville. Not a good enough excuse though, but an obstacle for the coaches and teachers non the less. Navasota has not been used to winning in baseball until Coach Rangel and his current staff came to Navasota. If you can't be impressed by the improvements made to the Rattler program, you must not be a good 'baseball' fan. Now on to the 'dirty' stuff. Have you ever gone and watched a Div. I College team play? Other hard nosed teams? Pros? It's not dirty baseball to slide in and spike a guys leg when he is standing in the baseline. That's is baseball!!!! What happens if a wide receiver is coming across the middle of the secondary and the free safety knows the ball is going to be a little too high for the receiver to catch? Does he let the kid safely run through 'his' secondary or does he blow him up? Any Mom might say, 'he lets him through without hurting him.' But every player, including your beloved Bellville sons, will blow that kid up as hard as he could. So that next time that kid is coming into the socondary, he will be thinking about getting hit rather than catching the ball. Same with baseball. You stand in the baseline, you must be ready to deal with a player sliding hard into you or get out of the way. I was on the right field line. Martin's spikes were up a 'little' too high. (NOT in the mid section though) Your beloved Bryant was in the squat position, which makes the 'mid-section' about a foot and a half off the ground. He got hit in the thigh or lower didn't he? When a kid is running full speed and has to slide 12-15 feet in front of the bag before he was planning on sliding, it makes it a little bit harder to slide perfectly. Now onto first base. Your little Meadows talks some serious trash. He just does with composure. Something, I agree, that the Rattlers need to work on. Did you count the many 'hard' slaps with the glove he made on runners at first when the plays weren't even close. I did! That's the kind of thing that gets kids mad. And all of you whining little brats sitting down the right field line wearing red. Go sit on your side if you don't like to hear opposing fans. I didn't hear one derogatory thing coming out of those kids mouths. Sometimes I wonder if it was because they were black and some of them were wearing bandanas on their heads and earrings in their ears. Though I think that kind of dress looks somewhat 'gangsterish' and silly, it doesn't mean that I judge and hate on them because they are cheering on their friends. YES, I JUST JUMPED ON THE RACE CARD!!! And to the celebrating like it was the World Series. You're right! Every game is big. Every win is big at this point of the season. And if winning a game like that isn't exciting for you, you don't deserve to win it. Besides, Navasota hadn't beat you in baseball in quite some time. You must give a little bit of a break. Where along the line of a great winning tradition - baseball program did Coach Cerney's fans and some certain players 'hashubeungerush' become so conceited and arrogant? I don't know, but I sure hope these two teams meet again. 9-1 playoff for 1st place.
OUT!

Sittin' Fastball
04-20-2004, 01:17 PM
ROY didn't go off did he?:D

Bellville22
04-20-2004, 01:28 PM
ROY didn't go off did he?:D

Just a tad, haha. Something tells me he's not done.

Sittin' Fastball
04-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Oh-oh. ROY's not done is he?

BrahmaMom
04-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Roy: You are right, when you sit with opposing fans, you accept they are gonna cheer for their team. I don't understand your comment about the race thing--Our 2B, who got cleated, and all the uproar is about, is black. Nobody cares what color he is, he's a Brahma and someone's child and I was very concerned for his safety. Left too soon to see Meadows almost get cleated or tag runners hard, so I can't comment. The next match-up will be exciting. I hope both teams play like the good sports they can be. There's plenty of talent on both teams to be a great contest. Go Bulls!