PDA

View Full Version : favorite books

bullfrog_alumni_02
04-16-2004, 03:24 PM
what are some good books i know steven king and dean koontz are great authors, but what are some good books by other authors?(playbooks dont count)

CatWoman
04-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Since this is a football board, a good read is "Bootlegger's Boy" by Barry Switzer. His childhood was anything but glamorous!

vet93
04-16-2004, 04:47 PM
Science Fiction/Fantasy: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, I also like an author called Stephen Lawhead and of course the ultimate Lord of the Rings Series.

Western: Louis L'mour (especially the books about the Sackett family) and any book by Elmer Kelton (I like one called "the man who road midnight" also the "pumpkin rollers" and " the time in never rained").

Christian: Obviously the Bible (not only entertaining but the ultimate in life application), The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman, Love for a LIfetime by James Dobson, One Home at a Time by Dennis Rainey, This Present Darkness by Frank Pieretti, Dare to Discipline by James Dobson.

Old Tiger
04-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Have you tried any Tom Clancy books?

3afan2K3
04-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Have you tried any Tom Clancy books?
Ive played the games

Old Tiger
04-16-2004, 11:05 PM
do you play the original Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six on PC?

jason
04-16-2004, 11:05 PM
i read the articles in playboy...does that count?? :D

Old Tiger
04-16-2004, 11:07 PM
I never got ot the articles Jason, I just skip to the middle

3afan2K3
04-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
do you play the original Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six on PC?
My PC isnt good enough to play games like that.

Old Tiger
04-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Dang, what kind you got?

3afan2K3
04-16-2004, 11:39 PM
My onboard graphics card thing that came with my computer is a Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/ GV Graphics Controller

lepfan
04-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by jason
i read the articles in playboy...does that count?? :D
You are too funny!

ej2525
04-17-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by CatWoman
Since this is a football board, a good read is "Bootlegger's Boy" by Barry Switzer. His childhood was anything but glamorous!

Great choice! I read/have that one too!! But, my favorite is "D-Day" by Stephen E. Ambrose

crzyjournalist03
04-17-2004, 11:49 AM
I like a lot of the classics...Robinson Crusoe is probably one of my favorites...but I can't really remember it because I haven't read it since about 9th grade!

District303aPastPlayer
04-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Bleachers by John Grisham was a good read.... anything by John Grisham is good though

therealbulldogs
04-17-2004, 01:10 PM
I have a few pages left in Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. It is an extremely good book that I would recommend to anybody.

X21AAAPlayer
04-17-2004, 01:17 PM
I personally enjoyed And Then There Were None, not sure if that was the title, and Huck Fin

bullfrog_alumni_02
04-17-2004, 04:09 PM
i have a few books id recommend, they are the "left behind"series, by tim lahaye and jerry jenkins, im have a page or two til im done w/ the eleventh book. its about the book of revelations and the happenings of a post-rapture world, entwined w/ evil by the anti-christm and his coming to power. "night" by eli whitney, is extremely moving, its about a real life experience about nazi concentration camps in WWII. i read some thing by louie lamoure in basic training about a pilot who gets shot down over russian territory in the hights of the cold war, but i cant remember its name. and as for playboy and things of the like, its illegal to have them in afghanistan, otherwise we could talk...j/j.

Old Cardinal
04-17-2004, 05:42 PM
I like other type books like---"God Wants You to be Rich" by Paul Zane Pilzer. It a biblical based study on how you can position yourself to have the means available to do good stewardship help in times of need. Pilzer has a PhD, earned at 24 years of age from Chandler School of Business.
Another good book is "One up on Wall Street" by Peter Lynch. He teaches that the common man with proper research can select securities better than most brokers, based on knowledge in specific education fields and hand-on working skills extrapolation.

bullfrog_alumni_02
04-17-2004, 06:18 PM
it might just be me, and by this i mean no offense to anyone, but i dont think its right to try and use God as a means for aquiring funds, ever since i heardmy pastor preaching on how to dsuch things in church, it offended me and turned me away from that particular church, since then i really havent found much of a church home, but i do know where i stand when and i quote "s**t hits the fan." it kinda made me rethink about the man when i went home last month andfound out he had embezzled money from the church, im not trying to gossip, just state the facts and how i see things. i also understand that God does want us to be prosperous, but i alwaysunderstood puting him first would naturally bring everything else he wanted us to have.

3afan
04-17-2004, 06:21 PM
The Sackett Series by Louis L'Amour

Old Cardinal
04-17-2004, 06:52 PM
To Bullfrog---I can assure you this is not a book about using God to acquire wealth; however, it does follow the teachings of John Wesley that says, "Work all you can, earn all you can, give all you can, do as much good as you can" This happen to be a very positive book that help people learn how to both accumulate and put wealth back into Christian action causes. I think Pilzer used this title to get people to notice this book since most people don't just automatically buy a book on Christian Economics. You can get a cheap used copy at-- Bibliofind.com...It just might expand your prospective of what skills God might want to develop in you to do his will.

Old Cardinal
04-17-2004, 07:19 PM
I understand that there is a new book out entitled, "It Takes a Village: to keep an eye on my Husband" by Hillary Clinton LOL

bullfrog_alumni_02
04-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
To Bullfrog---I can assure you this is not a book about using God to acquire wealth; however, it does follow the teachings of John Wesley that says, "Work all you can, earn all you can, give all you can, do as much good as you can" This happen to be a very positive book that help people learn how to both accumulate and put wealth back into Christian action causes. I think Pilzer used this title to get people to notice this book since most people don't just automatically buy a book on Christian Economics. You can get a cheap used copy at-- Bibliofind.com...It just might expand your prospective of what skills God might want to develop in you to do his will.

well i see yuor point of view, and respect it, i jsut dont want to begin to use God's word for one thing and that be all i use for them, because im a firm believer in money is the root to all evil. i can be perfectly happy w/ no money, as long as im rich in family and friends, that is all ill ever need. i put my faith in God first and he'll make what he wants to happen in my life happen in my life.

Old Green
04-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Any thing by Tom Clancy. My favorite though is Patriot Games.

Also like the book by Ian Slater " World War III, World in Flames".

vfunk
04-18-2004, 08:31 PM
I personally thought that "Bleachers" was terrible. I had heard so many great things about John Grisham, so I decided what better way to start than with a football book. This book has no substance and is one of the most boring reads...it begins ok...but goes nowhere. Probably the best book Ive read recently is "The DaVinci Code" by Dan Brown. If you have not read this book, I highly recommend it. Dan Brown had to put sooo much time into it. There are so many facts that you start thinking the whole thing is true. Newsweek or Time did a whole spread on the facts and fictions of the book and how much controversy it caused within the Catholic church. It is one of those books that you dont put down. Surely someone on here has read it. I just purchased 3 other Dan Brown books and started the "Deception Point" on Friday.

slpybear the bullfan
04-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Tom Clancy.... my favorite is probably Patriot games or Executive Orders... RSR was a good one though!

Stephen Ambrose was a phenomanal writer. My favorite was Undaunted Courage.

I looooovvvveee to read. I am currently working on A Time for Trumpets

Brahma73
04-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Life: 1. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People - Covey
2. See You at the Top - Ziglar

Sports: A Season on the Brink - Feinstein

Politics: Savage Nation - Savage

Wealth: Think and Grow Rich - Hill

Career: Stuff Your Cows Won't Tell You (Bellville22 will get this one!)
:rolleyes:

Knightmoon
04-18-2004, 09:41 PM
I am a Stephen King fanatic, but I recently read 4 books by Dan Brown...Angels and Demons, The Da Vinci Code, Digital Fortress, and Deception Point. Excellent books that are exciting from page one. They are suspense murder/mystery novels. Brown is an outstanding author. I highly recommend all 4, but you need to start with Angels and Demons and then read The Da Vinci Code ( has been on the Best Sellers list for a while now). You don't necessarily have to read them in that order, but they have the same characters and The Da Vinci Code followed Angels and Demons. Dan Brown has a really cool web site, but don't cheat and go there before you read the books, because it will give some of it away. Trust me, you will not be able to put them down. They are going to make The Da Vinci code into a movie. That is one, that I can't see being better than the book. Trust me... Convinced yet?

jason
04-18-2004, 09:45 PM
i read a book once...well i actually only read part of it, and when i say 'read' i mean rented the movie and i only 'read' part of it cause the dvd player messed up....

Knightmoon
04-18-2004, 09:49 PM
I had neck surgery, so I had a chance to do some reading. Another good book was "Black" by Ted Dekker. It is part one of a triology. The second book of the triology"Red is due for release in June. The third"White" is due in Sept or Oct......so you will not have to wait to long for the remaining books. Unlike Stephen King's Dark Tower books....grumble, grumble. Fantastic books but the suspense is killing me. At least King has finally written the ending, I was afraid something was going to happen to him, and then we would never know how they ended. Dekker is a good author, and if the other two books are half as good as "Black" then that story will be an all time great.

Bellville22
04-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Friday Night Lights and Bleachers

Wildcat81
04-19-2004, 06:42 AM
Frank Peretti's Novels This Present Darkness, Piercing the Darkness, Prophet, The Oath, Louis Lamour, Hank Mitchium,
Some Tom Clancy some Dean Koonz

Masseter
04-19-2004, 08:13 AM
I can't remember who wrote it. The biography of Jim Thorpe. It's great.