PDA

View Full Version : Question for you long time 3A people

Gasilla
04-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Why can't 3A and lower have spring practices? That just doesn't make any sense to me. Please explain.

sinton66
04-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Actually, most of 3A does. Don't know about the lower classes. In 3A, it's usually in the form of a first period P.E. class, but you can bet they ain't playing volleyball.;)

slpybear the bullfan
04-14-2004, 10:01 PM
My guess is because of the lower student populations at the 1,2,and 3A level, the UIL is afraid that spring football would hurt participation in Spring sports, (baseball, track, golf, tennis, etc.)

Just a guess...

Gasilla
04-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Well then, I guess my question is; why can't they call it spring practice and 4A and 5A can?

Gasilla
04-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
My guess is because of the lower student populations at the 1,2,and 3A level, the UIL is afraid that spring football would hurt participation in Spring sports, (baseball, track, golf, tennis, etc.)

Just a guess...
That's a pretty solid guess. It would make sense to me.

kaorder1999
04-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Gasilla
Well then, I guess my question is; why can't they call it spring practice and 4A and 5A can?

it has a lot to do with numbers....UIL realizes that 4a and 5a schools are working with higher numbers...though spring sports would be very close to being done or already done in more cases they know that it would affect small schools spring sports...also...you have to remember that it cuts down on your summer workouts right before school also if you do spring ball. So not all 4a and 5a schools go through spring ball.

Gasilla
04-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
it has a lot to do with numbers....UIL realizes that 4a and 5a schools are working with higher numbers...though spring sports would be very close to being done or already done in more cases they know that it would affect small schools spring sports...also...you have to remember that it cuts down on your summer workouts right before school also if you do spring ball. So not all 4a and 5a schools go through spring ball.

It only makes you have to start a week later than those who didn't have spring practices.

The numbers effecting spring sports makes sense, but I would think it should still be up to the individual school.

kaorder1999
04-14-2004, 10:08 PM
It only makes you have to start a week later than those who didn't have spring practices.

The numbers effecting spring sports makes sense, but I would think it should still be up to the individual school.

it is up to the individual school in 4a and 5a...

kaorder1999
04-14-2004, 10:09 PM

well...that one week is very important to a lot of 4A and 5A coaches....they decide not to do spring ball so they can have that week

Old Tiger
04-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Gasilla
04-14-2004, 10:15 PM
well...that one week is very important to a lot of 4A and 5A coaches....they decide not to do spring ball so they can have that week
You're right, it all comes down to the individual coaches school of thought.

WO-S always had Spring practice in 4A and had a Blue vs Silver spring game which was real nice for us fans jonesin for some football in the offseason.

As for the rule, I realize it's been a long standing rule for 3A and lower. I was just wondering about the reasoning behind it.

Gasilla
04-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Pretty stupid if you ask me.
I agree COMPLETELY!!

kaorder1999
04-14-2004, 10:29 PM
I agree COMPLETELY!!

not sure if any of you are coaches but ive never once heard a 3A head coach complain about not having Spring Ball.....spring football really is a LOT of work...you have to issue equipment...take equipment up....reissue at end of summer. Doesnt sound like just a whole lot but it really is. And in a lot of cases...3A and under just dont have enough coaches either considering a lot of 3A coaches are tied up coaching a spring sport...

sinton66
04-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Most of them I'm familiar with use that first period PE class for football stuff. The other "Spring" sports practices are usually after school. So, at the 3A level, athletes can participate in multiple sports and still get their football stuff going. Then, the athletes "volunteer" for weight training during the summer.

Sans Couth
04-14-2004, 11:00 PM
I think the only difference is that 3A and lower can not wear pads. They can still work on plays and skills.

j_dog
04-14-2004, 11:08 PM
I may be wrong, but if I am I know somebody will correct me. But as I remember it, it has only been a few years that 4a has had the option. Okay, maybe it has been several years. But I remember how beginning in the mid-80's 4a Jasper would play a slate of generally strong 5a teams in preparation for district. Jasper usually won most or all of those games and it seemed to me that much of Jasper's edge came from having that extra week in August for preparation that most of the 5a's did not have.

kaorder1999
04-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
I may be wrong, but if I am I know somebody will correct me. But as I remember it, it has only been a few years that 4a has had the option. Okay, maybe it has been several years. But I remember how beginning in the mid-80's 4a Jasper would play a slate of generally strong 5a teams in preparation for district. Jasper usually won most or all of those games and it seemed to me that much of Jasper's edge came from having that extra week in August for preparation that most of the 5a's did not have.

im not for sure...

kaorder1999
04-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Sans Couth
I think the only difference is that 3A and lower can not wear pads. They can still work on plays and skills.

correct...and cannot have a spring game

Matthew328
04-15-2004, 07:29 AM
I also don't think they can stay after school and work...if I understand the rule correctly, in spring ball you can stay after school right???

jason
04-15-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I also don't think they can stay after school and work...if I understand the rule correctly, in spring ball you can stay after school right??? you're correct...but they can have 'voluntary' workouts...

JasperDog94
04-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by jason
you're correct...but they can have 'voluntary' workouts...
Is that the kind of thing that coaches can't be involved in? Or am I thinking of extra practice beyond the 8 hours per week rule?

spiveyrat
04-15-2004, 09:44 AM
I'll bet the school would frown on a fieldhouse full of athletes with no coach supervision. Probably a legal matter.

JasperDog94
04-15-2004, 10:13 AM
I remember something about a baseball coach one time that was called by a parent saying that one of the kids at the baseball field was hurt. I guess they weren't supposed to be practicing then, because this parent took pictures of the coach up there with the kids and it got the coach fired. I'm not sure if this is true, but I was wondering if there were some legal issues with kids practicing at the school, after hours, with or without any coaches being there. (not in the fieldhouse) Just wondering...

Gasilla
04-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I remember something about a baseball coach one time that was called by a parent saying that one of the kids at the baseball field was hurt. I guess they weren't supposed to be practicing then, because this parent took pictures of the coach up there with the kids and it got the coach fired. I'm not sure if this is true, but I was wondering if there were some legal issues with kids practicing at the school, after hours, with or without any coaches being there. (not in the fieldhouse) Just wondering...
No coaches can be present at after hours practices or "voluntary" practices. WO-S got in big trouble one time because, during the summer, a QB and recievers were running routes while the defensive coordinator was at the school working out in the weight room. There was also a summer league baseball team playing at the baseball stadium and the coach was a fan of a local school. When he saw the coach leave the weight room he turned WO-S in to the UIL. It was really chicken s##t and gave the school a bad rep. The coach never even spoke to the kids practicing.

JasperDog94
04-15-2004, 03:23 PM
...and gave the school a bad rep..
No offense, but it's not like that's been the only time WOS has had UIL violations. I'm not taking anything away from you guys. You have consistantly good teams, but there has been the occasional reprimand while Coach Hooks has been there.