PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Statewide Meet and Greet.

sinton66
04-13-2004, 05:32 AM
You all know that we did a tailgater at the state championship game this last season at Texas Stadium. We want to do this again this year, but earlier so that we have better weather and not so cold. The first one of these we want to do needs to be around Austin somewhere so we get the center of the state. I'm thinking maybe a state park or something. I'm interested in hearing ideas. I was thinking maybe in conjunction with the state baseball tourney in June, but that's just my idea. We could possibly do it just before the season opens in August too. Feel free to comment.

jason
04-13-2004, 08:06 AM
sounds good...there are lots of areas around austin, lake travis, buchannan, inks lake....im almost positive all of these have state parks....

Ranger Mom
04-13-2004, 08:24 AM
That sounds fun!! I will have to send you a calendar with my husbands days off though and we will have to work around that!!:D :D

If I go to Austin without him, after the State Track Meet screw-up, I may be in REAL trouble!!:eek: :eek:

Matthew328
04-13-2004, 08:33 AM
I guess I'd have to make it this time since I missed the state title game...LOL

olddawggreen
04-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Zilker Park is in central Austin. I think a picnic site can be reserved, its located on Town Lake and the cold waters of Barton Springs would be available to anyone trying to beat the summer heat . State parks in the area are McKinney Falls, Pedernales Falls, Inks Lake, Lost Pines....

olddawggreen
04-13-2004, 09:01 AM
If a state wide meet is planned, I think it would really be helpful to send e-mail to all the membership to announce it in order to get a good response. Many of our members may not be tuneing in to the site until September. Just a thought.

jason
04-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Austin Area State Parks (http://www.texasoutside.com/austinparks.htm)

Ranger Mom
04-13-2004, 11:27 AM
I just had a blast from the past looking at the picture of Zilker park.....doesn't some natural spring run through it that's really cold?? and.....wasn't it made into a kinda swimming pool??

WOW....I hadn't thought about that place in years. We used to go there in the summers and to some restuarant that had big colorful birds flying or sitting in trees when you went into the entrance.....does anybody know what that was and if it is still there??

sinton66
04-13-2004, 11:38 AM
I think what I'd like to do is gather as many ideas as we can, then maybe do a poll to see what we want. Once we decide how, when, and where, then we can appoint committees to attend to all the details. I'll be happy to bring my pit, it's all set up and ready to go. I've got plenty of mesquite. Might like to try to do Tortilla Burgers this time.;)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
04-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I guess I'd have to make it this time since I missed the state title game...LOL

if my Port Isabel Tarpons weren't playing in a state semi-final game at the Alamodome on the same day as the Burnet/Gainesville state title game.

3afan2K3
04-13-2004, 03:50 PM
If jason is gonna go then I guess I would to, he would be my ride there.

olddawggreen
04-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I just had a blast from the past looking at the picture of Zilker park.....doesn't some natural spring run through it that's really cold?? and.....wasn't it made into a kinda swimming pool??

WOW....I hadn't thought about that place in years. We used to go there in the summers and to some restuarant that had big colorful birds flying or sitting in trees when you went into the entrance.....does anybody know what that was and if it is still there??

Ranger Mom, your probably thinking about the "Holiday House" Charcol Broiled Hamburger resturant that was down on Barton Springs Road, across from the old colisuim, which is just down the road from Zilker Park. There were also aligators at the restruant. While I believe there are still one or two Holiday House Resturants going in Austin, the one your talking about closed some time back and the others never had the charm as the Barton Spring Road location did.
Barton Springs is the "Crown Jewel" of Zilker Park and Austin for that matter. It is a huge spring fed pool. The water feels ice cold in the summer (actually its 68 degrees year round) and crystal clear, watch out for the ocasional "topless hippi girl sun bathing on the grassy area on the south side of the pool though, this is Austin afterall!
Zilker also offers many other things such as cannoe rentals, ect, and I may me wrong but I think the little train still runs around the park. The only thing Zilker doesnt offer is overnight camping. Its really central and convienant if your trying to do this in Austin.

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 05:59 PM
I'll be there just name time and place...

jason
04-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by 3afan2K3
If jason is gonna go then I guess I would to, he would be my ride there. lol you wish...

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by jason
lol you wish... Ahh come on...jason quit bein mean! lol

3afan2K3
04-13-2004, 06:18 PM
The ONLY way I am going at all is if........Ranger Mom's daughter comes again.:D

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 06:22 PM
lol...how is she a pretty gal?

3afan2K3
04-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
lol...how is she a pretty gal?
I think the prettyness skipped Ranger Mom and went right to her daughter:D :D :D

jason
04-13-2004, 06:54 PM
I think the prettyness skipped Ranger Mom and went right to her daughter:D :D :D dont be mean...RangerMom's a hottie...:D

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 07:33 PM
lmao..

marlin fan
04-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Hey yall wouldnt mind swinging by Marlin,Texas to Pick me up do ya'll???? HEHE my old car wont be able to make it that far!!!

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 08:09 PM
There not going to make a special trip to marlin for you lol

jason
04-13-2004, 08:11 PM
id take him if me met me at my house...

3afan2K3
04-13-2004, 08:15 PM
id take him if me met me at my house...
Marlin is on the way for me. But my car is to small.......to bad

slpybear the bullfan
04-13-2004, 08:57 PM
I like the Austin idea fine... I travel down there just about every month. I do volunteer work at the State's Military museum at Camp, Mabry. Yes, my other car IS an Army tank... (least once a month! ;) )

Anywhere in the area is fine...

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 09:00 PM
I'll bring the chips-n-dip

3afan2K3
04-13-2004, 09:00 PM
I'll bring twister

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 09:01 PM
someone bring the iced beer :p

jason
04-13-2004, 09:05 PM
already on top of that one...:D

3afan2K3
04-13-2004, 09:06 PM
already on top of that one...:D
I would of never thought you would be the one to volunteer for this one.

3afan2K3
04-13-2004, 09:07 PM
HMMM..... does anyone have a boat they wouldnt mind bringing?

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 09:13 PM
already on top of that one...:D 3afan2k3 your bro is a good man...lol

olddawggreen
04-13-2004, 09:23 PM
someone bring the iced beer :p

I'll bring your new coach :eek: :eek:

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 09:25 PM
nvm...then :p

jason
04-13-2004, 09:28 PM
HMMM..... does anyone have a boat they wouldnt mind bringing? :D :D :D

3afan2K3
04-13-2004, 09:30 PM
:D :D :D
It would get wrecked

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 09:37 PM
I have a paddle boat that i use for fishin'

jason
04-13-2004, 09:42 PM
It would get wrecked fine, i wont bring it

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 09:44 PM
What kind of boat do you got Jason?

3afan2K3
04-13-2004, 09:45 PM
What kind of boat do you got Jason?
Our cousin that he lives with owns a Kawasaki STX-12F jet-ski.

Old Tiger
04-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Jets ski's are the best ever.

3afan2K3
04-13-2004, 09:49 PM
I know

TarponFanInNorthTexas
04-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by marlin fan
Hey yall wouldnt mind swinging by Marlin,Texas to Pick me up do ya'll???? HEHE my old car wont be able to make it that far!!!

Marlin would be on the way for me....but i'd rather not risk the chance of us getting into a big ol' fight talking about the Port Isabel/Marlin game. LOL

marlin fan
04-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
Marlin would be on the way for me....but i'd rather not risk the chance of us getting into a big ol' fight talking about the Port Isabel/Marlin game. LOL
LOL Naw bro lol that shouldnt be a big deal we beat yall and Atlanta Kicked our butts bad!!!:D

sinton66
04-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Besides, TFINT, marlin fan's cool. He wouldn't start a fight.

District303aPastPlayer
04-13-2004, 10:47 PM
ill take 37 and 281 to SA, pick up people, and head on 35 towards austin passing canyon HS and New braunfels...

spiveyrat
04-14-2004, 06:54 AM

Not to fishermen!

lepfan
04-14-2004, 07:39 AM
HMMM..... does anyone have a boat they wouldnt mind bringing?

I have a Polaris Genesis (4 seater jet ski)...y'all can swing by LG and pick it up...it just so happens to be for sale (no lakes in KS where I am headed)... WAIT, ya'll better come by and get it in June cause I won't be in the state in August:( :( :(

olddawggreen
04-14-2004, 10:16 AM
The closest place to Austin that we could meet that would allow motor boats or jet skis would be City Park on Lake Austin. I believe there are some weekends that jet skis and other personal water craft are not allowed due to the large crowds on the lake. Town Lake at Zilker Park only allows paddles and electric trolling motors.
Now if you really want a location where the lake dosn't get too crowded with water craft, you can swim (jump off the cliffs at Devils Water Hole at your own risk!), fish, camp and play golf, I would recomend Inks Lake State Park. We would need to reserve some sites ahead of time though. This is the most visited State Park in Texas, but the lake is not too big and has limited access for launching boats. The state park has the only public boat launch. The park is really senic and deer may wander through your camp site during your stay. Over all its a great place.

3afan2K3
04-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Inks Lake allows boats and jet-skis all the time. And during non-holiday weekends the place is almost empty. There are 2 public launch ramps on Inks. One at the state park and by the RV park next to the Barge restraunt. We are having one put in at our familys lake house, I'm not sure they would want people using it though.

spiveyrat
04-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
I have a Polaris Genesis (4 seater jet ski)...y'all can swing by LG and pick it up...it just so happens to be for sale (no lakes in KS where I am headed)... WAIT, ya'll better come by and get it in June cause I won't be in the state in August:( :( :(

Where are you "headed"?

lepfan
04-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Where are you "headed"?

Western Kansas...you know the "unpopulated" side...we will be about 100 miles north of the OK panhandle and 14 miles east of Colorado border. Things are very flat out there and seem to be living back in the 50's.

My husband is already there...we went up this weekend for a visit (we are not going until school is out)...we opened the door to the little mom and pop restaurant to walk in...EVERYONE stopped eating and turned and looked at us. We are "new meat in town"...LOL...

DH wants to sell the Polaris and get a 4 wheeler...there are a few sand dunes out there...he figures we can get more use out of that than the ski

olddawggreen
04-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Inks Lake allows boats and jet-skis all the time. And during non-holiday weekends the place is almost empty. There are 2 public launch ramps on Inks. One at the state park and by the RV park next to the Barge restraunt. We are having one put in at our familys lake house, I'm not sure they would want people using it though.

I forgot about the one at the Barge, you used to have to be a paying guest there before you could use the ramp there, I guess thats been changed.

SintonFan
04-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Ask your dad if I could use yalls house this weekend. It would save me a lot of money. I'm trying to go to Lake Buchanan this weekend to the Eagle's Lodge but they are not cheap.:D

olddawggreen
04-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Ask your dad if I could use yalls house this weekend. It would save me a lot of money. I'm trying to go to Lake Buchanan this weekend to the Eagle's Lodge but they are not cheap.:D

Their not cheap but they have a really nice set up. You should enjoy your stay.

spiveyrat
04-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
Western Kansas...you know the "unpopulated" side...we will be about 100 miles north of the OK panhandle and 14 miles east of Colorado border. Things are very flat out there and seem to be living back in the 50's.

My husband is already there...we went up this weekend for a visit (we are not going until school is out)...we opened the door to the little mom and pop restaurant to walk in...EVERYONE stopped eating and turned and looked at us. We are "new meat in town"...LOL...

DH wants to sell the Polaris and get a 4 wheeler...there are a few sand dunes out there...he figures we can get more use out of that than the ski

Oh. Sorry to hear that! :( I'm in Wichita. I don't know much about the lakes (or lack thereof) in the southwest part of the state. I know there are some up in the northwestern and north central parts. That IS some dull terrain over there. But the deer are HUGE. SE Texas deer just don't compare.

jason
04-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I forgot about the one at the Barge, you used to have to be a paying guest there before you could use the ramp there, I guess thats been changed. theyre not public...my brother dont know what hes talking about...

jason
04-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Ask your dad if I could use yalls house this weekend. It would save me a lot of money. I'm trying to go to Lake Buchanan this weekend to the Eagle's Lodge but they are not cheap.:D its not our, its like our whole families...its not even complete yet either, and when it is, it'll prolly be used every weekend for the summer....the state park there would be a good place though...

3afan2K3
04-14-2004, 03:48 PM
I forgot about the one at the Barge, you used to have to be a paying guest there before you could use the ramp there, I guess thats been changed.
Just asked my mom, it is still paying guest only.

3afan2K3
04-14-2004, 03:49 PM
its not our, its like our whole families...its not even complete yet either, and when it is, it'll prolly be used every weekend for the summer....the state park there would be a good place though...
Thats not what I meant

3afan2K3
04-14-2004, 03:50 PM
theyre not public...my brother dont know what hes talking about...
The one at ths state park is public, but the one at the "Barge" isnt

jason
04-14-2004, 04:25 PM
The one at ths state park is public, but the one at the "Barge" isnt you have to pay to use the one at the state park...

3afan2K3
04-14-2004, 04:41 PM
you have to pay to use the one at the state park...
How expensive could it be?

olddawggreen
04-14-2004, 04:48 PM
How expensive could it be?

I believe you just pay your entry fee to get in the park and that covers it.

SintonFan
04-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Their not cheap but they have a really nice set up. You should enjoy your stay.
They couldn't get me in this weekend.:( I wanna go stay there though. It looks like a great place with the bald eagle nesting site and all and the cruises(We're going to still try the vineyard cruise). I was excited about the observatory, too.:)
We're gonna stay at the Tropical Hideaway on Lake LBJ. Funny, my wife was more excited about that. She a sucker for the tropical stuff...:cool:

SintonFan
04-14-2004, 11:14 PM
its not our, its like our whole families...its not even complete yet either, and when it is, it'll prolly be used every weekend for the summer....the state park there would be a good place though...
I just loved the way you brushed me off to the state park...:o :mad: :p

olddawggreen
04-15-2004, 08:49 AM
They couldn't get me in this weekend.:( I wanna go stay there though. It looks like a great place with the bald eagle nesting site and all and the cruises(We're going to still try the vineyard cruise). I was excited about the observatory, too.:)
We're gonna stay at the Tropical Hideaway on Lake LBJ. Funny, my wife was more excited about that. She a sucker for the tropical stuff...:cool:

I heard that the Canyon stayed booked up on most weekends. If you want to see eagles Ive got great news for you! From the Tropical Hideaway go west on 1431 through Kingsland to the intersection of 1431 and Hwy. 29 (4 way stop), turn left on 29 and go towards Llano, (5 to 10 miles ???) you will see the Llano River running along to your left and you will eventually get to a spot where you will see lots of cars pulled over on the river side of the road, and a lot of people with cameras. And there they are! A pair of eagles nesting in a tree between you and the river. The Austin American Statesman ran an article and photos about it so there has been a crowd every time Ive gone by there, but the eagles are there too and close enough to see really good (if you can see, it dosen,t hurt to carry along a pair of binnoculars).

Now that your so close to Llano, you have to run on in to Cooper's BBQ to put the iceing on the cake. If you havent been there your in for a real BBQ experience. You pass by the pits on the way in and pick what you want right off the grill. Its the best! These guys have catered different funchions for GW Bush. They are worth the trip, eagles or no eagles. Just get there early, the line gets pretty big on weekends. Have a great weekend and don't pick the Blue Bonnets;) ;)

SintonFan
04-16-2004, 11:11 AM
I heard that the Canyon stayed booked up on most weekends. If you want to see eagles Ive got great news for you! From the Tropical Hideaway go west on 1431 through Kingsland to the intersection of 1431 and Hwy. 29 (4 way stop), turn left on 29 and go towards Llano, (5 to 10 miles ???) you will see the Llano River running along to your left and you will eventually get to a spot where you will see lots of cars pulled over on the river side of the road, and a lot of people with cameras. And there they are! A pair of eagles nesting in a tree between you and the river. The Austin American Statesman ran an article and photos about it so there has been a crowd every time Ive gone by there, but the eagles are there too and close enough to see really good (if you can see, it dosen,t hurt to carry along a pair of binnoculars).

Now that your so close to Llano, you have to run on in to Cooper's BBQ to put the iceing on the cake. If you havent been there your in for a real BBQ experience. You pass by the pits on the way in and pick what you want right off the grill. Its the best! These guys have catered different funchions for GW Bush. They are worth the trip, eagles or no eagles. Just get there early, the line gets pretty big on weekends. Have a great weekend and don't pick the Blue Bonnets;) ;)
Thanks for the info odg!

sinton66
04-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Well, you folks over around Austin would be in the know what the best place for a cook-out for a crowd would be. Needs to have some shade I would think, and tables also. August is quite warm. Needs to be a place where we can drag in a pit and cook. We can decide what we want to eat later. Thinking we might do a domino tournament or something too.

jason
04-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Well, you folks over around Austin would be in the know what the best place for a cook-out for a crowd would be. Needs to have some shade I would think, and tables also. August is quite warm. Needs to be a place where we can drag in a pit and cook. We can decide what we want to eat later. Thinking we might do a domino tournament or something too. well im biased because its only an hour from me...but inks lake state park would be perfect....im not positive though if you're allowed to bring in the bbq pit, although i dont see why it would be a problem....

3afan2K3
04-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Here are some sites for Inks Lake State Park

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/inks/
http://www.wildtexas.com/parks/ilsp.php
http://www.txinfo.com/parkmaps/inks.html
http://www.texashiker.com/Inks_Lake_State_Park.htm
http://www.llanotx.com/InksLakeStatePark.html

sinton66
04-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Wherever we decide on will need to have the facilities to host a group. Bastrop has a group dining pavillion with tables that seat 90. Other Parks may be able to provide similar facilities. Of course, that would be influenced by the number of people who plan to attend. We will do a "roll call" thread later.

Old Tiger
04-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Rockdale has the fair park which has a dance pavilian and bleachers around it. and 4 or 5 long picnic tables. It's just about 40 minutes east of Round Rock/Austin.

sinton66
04-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Heh, heh, Welder Park at Sinton has the facilities, but that's sorta far from the middle of the state.:D

Old Tiger
04-18-2004, 06:28 PM
just a little :p

jason
04-18-2004, 09:44 PM
we need to decide on a date/place here soon cause weekends fill up quick once summer gets here...

sinton66
04-18-2004, 10:06 PM
What say we let RangerMom go with her calendar? Wouldn't be much fun if she couldn't come.;)

Ranger Mom
04-18-2004, 10:34 PM
That is really sweet of you, but don't plan it around me!!

If I have to go without hubby, then that's the way it is. I don't mind pitching a tent!! But.....August 6, 7, 8 and 9th is the only weeked he has off that month!

SintonFan
04-19-2004, 12:25 AM
I toured the whole(hehe a good part of it) area this weekend and the lakes(except Lake Inks, the smallest) and the lakes I saw looked cool. Just make sure whatever yall choose is close to a major highway. Some of the parks have windy roadways to get to...:eek: :eek: :eek:
Gonna post some pics from my trip. Check them out if you want.:)

pirate4state
04-19-2004, 11:38 AM
we need to decide on a date/place here soon cause weekends fill up quick once summer gets here... Has August been selected as the month? Now, we just need the date before football starts. ;) Anyone thought of maybe talking to Rabbit about shirts, again? :D It'd be a perfect opportunity to take orders. Just a thought. :cool:

3afan2K3
04-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Has August been selected as the month? Now, we just need the date before football starts. ;) Anyone thought of maybe talking to Rabbit about shirts, again? :D It'd be a perfect opportunity to take orders. Just a thought. :cool:
And it needs to be before school starts

sinton66
04-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That is really sweet of you, but don't plan it around me!!

If I have to go without hubby, then that's the way it is. I don't mind pitching a tent!! But.....August 6, 7, 8 and 9th is the only weeked he has off that month!

Well, that would be about a couple of weeks before two-a-days start. Sounds good to me. Let's see what everybody else thinks.

3afan2K3
04-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Well, that would be about a couple of weeks before two-a-days start. Sounds good to me. Let's see what everybody else thinks.
Can we have it in June or July. I start football practicearound Aug. 2.

sinton66
04-19-2004, 07:05 PM
June and July are family vacation months for a lot of people. Might cut into the turnout. Besides, I want to meet RangerMom's husband. But, just for argument's sake we'll ask RM about July.