PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of movies!!

Ranger Mom
04-12-2004, 04:11 PM
I saw a clip last night of the "Friday Night Lights" movie that is being filmed. There was a girl on the field with a notebook following around Tim McGraw (Not sure what part he plays in this - he's mean whatever it is!!)

Anyway, they are filming this and the girl that has the notebook is wearing a denim mini skirt and cowboy boots....maybe that's how they dress in the bigger cities, but I have NEVER seen a girl wearing that around here.

I'm afraid this movie is gonna make us look like a bunch of back assward rednecks!!

CHS_Grad '85
04-12-2004, 04:14 PM
that's hollywood for you...

Ranger Mom
04-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
that's hollywood for you...

Kinda like that movie "Everybody's Baby", the movie about Jessica McClure (which ironically happened here in Midland).

Their accents were TERRIBLE and they kept saying "You all" instead of yall....just about drove me nuts!!!

CatWoman
04-12-2004, 04:42 PM
They did the same thing on that baseball movie (can't remember the name of it) with Kevin Costner playing the coach of the Big Lake (i.e. Reagan County) High School team. Anyway, they had the town and the kids looking like the days of The Great Depression and it was supposed to be in the 90's. Hollywood just doesn't understand TEXAS!!

Old Tiger
04-12-2004, 05:26 PM
was she pretty?

olddawggreen
04-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I saw a clip last night of the "Friday Night Lights" movie that is being filmed. There was a girl on the field with a notebook following around Tim McGraw (Not sure what part he plays in this - he's mean whatever it is!!)

Anyway, they are filming this and the girl that has the notebook is wearing a denim mini skirt and cowboy boots....maybe that's how they dress in the bigger cities, but I have NEVER seen a girl wearing that around here.

I'm afraid this movie is gonna make us look like a bunch of back assward rednecks!!

They will probably have her line dancing before the movies over. :mad: :mad:

AggieJohn
04-12-2004, 06:46 PM
or stepping in a patch of oil

Wildcat81
04-12-2004, 10:08 PM
we'er a breed apart.:D

CatWoman
04-13-2004, 08:26 AM
And we can't forget "Urban Cowboy". Even when everyone was dressing in the cowboy craze of the late 70's and early 80's, they didn't look like the group at "Gilly's". That movie depicted Texas people as ignorant and quite frankly like "white trash". It was not flattering to us at all.

olddawggreen
04-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by CatWoman
And we can't forget "Urban Cowboy". Even when everyone was dressing in the cowboy craze of the late 70's and early 80's, they didn't look like the group at "Gilly's". That movie depicted Texas people as ignorant and quite frankly like "white trash". It was not flattering to us at all.

I hated it when Urban Cowboy came out, all it did was raise the price of boots and hats. I made my way over to Gilley's while I was at the Houston Stock Show and it pretty much reminded me of Pasedena, where it was located, the "Arm Pit of Texas". Give me our Central and West Texas Dance Halls anyday!

CatWoman
04-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I hated it when Urban Cowboy came out, all it did was raise the price of boots and hats. I made my way over to Gilley's while I was at the Houston Stock Show and it pretty much reminded me of Pasedena, where it was located, the "Arm Pit of Texas". Give me our Central and West Texas Dance Halls anyday!

Yeah, I know a real cowboy when I see one. They look natural in their boots and hats, not to mention how they fill out those wranglers, and they know how to dance!!

Phil C
04-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Actually in the 60s the term used for Urban Cowboys or Fake Cowboys was Drug Store Cowboys.

Phil C
04-13-2004, 02:16 PM
This wasn't in the movies but it was typical. In the 60s an article for one of the top magazines like Look or something came out with an article supposedly about Texas football. I knew right from the beginning it was not accurate and just sterotyping because they had it set up that they were at a game with a stadium of 50,000 people, several coaches of the teams on the field and the head coach and other coaches on the field, television cameras and other camera men filmning game films, big bands, lots of cheerleaders - well you get the idea. Then the article told us this was not a big pro or college game or even high school game but a junior high game! I thought "Give me a break!" :mad:

Old Dog
04-13-2004, 03:11 PM
They couldn't capture the real us if they had to and think, many of the liberal idiots want to tell everyone how to run this country!

Cameronbystander
04-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Ranger Mom;

There are a lot of people who associate the Kilgore Rangerettes with Texas Football. Even though Kilgore is in East Texas, I think of them when I think of West Texas football. I also think of sunshine and good looking women when I think about West Texas so the sterotype you mentioned fits.

BTW, I have ties to Midland. My great grandfather started the 1st National Bank in Midland and I am told his picture is still in the lobby. Also there is a plaque on the outside with his name on it. I am coming to Midland in October for my neice's wedding (she's marrying the heeling rookie of the year on the PRCA tour). I hope to get to the bank and see the picture for myself because my granfather tells me that I look just like him.

Cameronbystander
04-15-2004, 09:18 AM
ttt