PDA

View Full Version : Levelland

wildstangs
12-28-2003, 09:00 PM
I heard the Loboes have pretty low numbers and might be 3A next year. They havent been really good, but I bet it will cause a shake up in the Panhandle/West Texas 3A districts next year.

KTJ
12-28-2003, 10:05 PM
This wouldn't surprise me. The same thing happened to Snyder and Sweetwater. Last realignment, there were rumors that Lubbock Estacado would eventually go 3A--but I would think LISD would prevent that.

West Texas is shrinking and it's becoming more than a problem. The only school out there that is actually growing is Wolfforth Frenship, and thats because of all the growth in southwest Lubbock.

wildstangs
12-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Sweetwater, Snyder, Monahans, Seminole, Ft. Stockton, Pecos, Canyon, and Borger have all dropped down in recent memory. I wouldnt be surprised to see Andrews, Big Spring and Estacado fall to 3A numbers in the next few years. Speaking of Frenship, I believe they are the only 4A team in West Texas that has a legit shot at a state title anytime soon.

Buffalo
12-28-2003, 11:19 PM
What about the teams up North that might drop to 2A and Denver City should drop. Tulia numbers were low and so was Dimmitts that could kick Levelland up North. Eventually 3A will be the old 4A districts out west.

VWG
12-29-2003, 03:56 PM
It's interesting how some places are declining in population. Abilene High and Abilene Cooper face decreasing enrollment, but Tuscola Jim Ned and Wylie are booming. Rumors also have it that Abilene High and Cooper could be looking at 4A in a few years.

vet93
12-29-2003, 06:38 PM
The only communities that have seen consistent growth in West Texas over the past 5-10 years are communities that are situated close to larger west texas towns. Examples would be Wofforth Frenship outside of Lubbock, Abilene Wylie and Jim Ned outside of Abilene, Midland Greenwood outside of Midland and Grape Creek and Wall outside of San Angelo. This growth tends to be at the expense of traditional in-city high schools. It does not reflect a population shift toward west texas. I see this trend continuing to some degree. West Texas in general will likely see a continued decline but probably at a slightly slower pace over the next 10 years. Most of the taditional 3a's have moved to 2a and most of the traditional 4a's are moving toward 3a. It is sad to watch communities that you have grown up with begin to falter and dry up. Teams like Levelland, Andrews, and Lubbock Estacado will likely join their old district mates in 3a like Sweetwater, Snyder, Ft. Stockton, and Pecos.

heck
12-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Yes it is sad to see the enrollments decline and the general populations follow. An interesting thought tho, the other day an old timer told me that with the current numbers, Sweewater would have never been a 4A.

I think I have said this but I will say it again, if the UIL decides to cut the number of 3-A schools by raising the bottom number instead of lowering the top, the travel time would increase and the costs would sky rocket! Can you imagine Perryton and say Littlefield being in the same district? I truly believe that if the UIL really wants to lower the number of 3-A's (decrease the disparity of school sizes) they will lower the top number and leave the bottom alone or even lower it somewhat. Just my two cents.

vet93
12-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Heck...after spending some time reviewing the numbers (from last alginment) and accounting for some of the statements made by the UIL this year...I would have to agree with you.

heck:
Yes it is sad to see the enrollments decline and the general populations follow. An interesting thought tho, the other day an old timer told me that with the current numbers, Sweewater would have never been a 4A.

I think I have said this but I will say it again, if the UIL decides to cut the number of 3-A schools by raising the bottom number instead of lowering the top, the travel time would increase and the costs would sky rocket! Can you imagine Perryton and say Littlefield being in the same district? I truly believe that if the UIL really wants to lower the number of 3-A's (decrease the disparity of school sizes) they will lower the top number and leave the bottom alone or even lower it somewhat. Just my two cents.

Da Mules
12-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Muleshoe (30 miles up Highway 84 from Littlefield) and Perryton WERE in the same district for two years as recently as 1996. It was terrible-- Dalhart, Perryton, Sanford-Fritch, River Road, Tulia, Muleshoe, and I think Dimmitt were all in 1-3A. The road trips absolutely were horrible. A real thoughtless crappy UIL stunt for the players, bands, and fans of all schools concerned.

<small>[ December 30, 2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Da Mules ]</small>

VWG
12-31-2003, 03:41 PM
The past two years Childress and Breckenridge have been in the same district. That's about as close to a 3 hour yellow dog ride as you can get!

lobo12
12-31-2003, 10:45 PM
i remember back in 96-97 every team in monahans's district was near el paso. that was a 5 hr ride for every district game played out of town.